The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

Nat: Yeah, forty... two of them were neighborhoods with 10-15 each, and I'd say about 5-6 were true $$$$ places - at those I saw Bose stereos, HDTV's, actual wood furniture and so on so I KNEW they had money to burn... There was a Baker dining room set at one but they wanted $1500 for it - probably still a good deal but not in my ballpark right now. Clothes were just such a complete bust. Stacks of same-price sweaters - check - but they were Eddie Bauer, Bill Blass, LL Bean, and so on. Maybe I just picked a bad weekend... and yes, I'll be back at that store quite a bit for awhile. Oh, if hangers could talk! :laugh:

JordanH.: Yes, pics please! Very nifty find - I've occasionally seen "Joann-Fabrics-bolt" type fabric, but never any serious
    ace_face: I hate days like that - you see a bunch of stuff that could have been at least all right, and end up taking none of it home. :( Better luck next time!
    alliterativerevival: Always great to find stuff you've always wanted... and NWT Hermes... what IS it with people leaving the tags on their Hermes ties? It's not like they usually show a price to brag about...

2. Stewie

Stewie Senior member

Actually I have had good look with the vintage Towncraft stuff flipping on the bay and swaps...alot of their 60's stuff has some great rocker style.

D.

3. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

^^ +1. I have several mid-late 60's Towncraft suits that have a great mod-rocker style to them. Also have a few cool b/d shirts from the late 60's. My favorite is a brown w/ olive green stripe shirt. Has the longer collar but with a rounded tip, really cool.

4. TheBurnOut

TheBurnOut Senior member

Something funny must be happening here.

I wasted a whole day and $30+ on gas yesterday.

I left behind more *almost* acceptable clothing than ever.

-Alfred Dunhill SC- Beautiful cloth, ticket pocket (one of my favorite features), looked super recent but HAD A SHIT STAIN, LITERALLY A SHIT STAIN on the lining at the bottom of the coat.

-3 Hermes ties, all likely destroyed by the same dry cleaner. This was the closest I've come to crying over a clothing article.

-Florsheim Royal Imperial shell longwings- it looked like somebody had shoved a knife through the upper on the right shoe. 2 inch cut, all the way through the leather. Otherwise perfect, and my size.

-2 recent Zegna suits, size 50 (US, not EU, size 50- as in HUGE)

-BB seersucker windbreaker? It looked pretty cool, but was tagged a large and could have easily fit two of me in it.

-Thomas Pink shirt. Pattern was a little dated, but in otherwise good shape. Size 16x39. Great for someone with ape arms. I'd like to see what someone like that looks like.

I think the thrift gods are messing with me.

I did manage to score a CT shirt complete with CT collar stays in my size. The pattern is a bit dated but the fit is amazing. My first encounter with CT and it looks like I might be forced to go out and buy some at retail. Amazing quality, amazing fit.

Oh, well. Maybe next week will be better.

5. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

I don't ever see suits, but maybe that's just because I haven't been looking. It's always nasty (formerly) white shirts, threadbare, made of more plastic than a coke 2 liter. I'll keep my eyes peeled, but I have to say I'm not sanguine, heh!

PS: Can you post/point me to a couple images of good examples of rocker style suits? Used to be a rock writer (it doesn't pay the bills when you have kids and a mortgage so you have to grow out of it at some point...but you forever remain one at heart, heh) and I'm getting tripped up in Mods vs Rockers of the Who era or hitting current GQ spread with MGMT in it. Am curious and not completely up on style vernacular. Thanks

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  6. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Quote:
    i like this post!!! but from recent posts it sounds like you had a day in marshals not a thrift store with all that destroyed clothing.

by CT i hope you mean Charles Tyrwhitt.... i love their shirts and consider myself an ambassador for them having convinced at least 6 of my friends to change their closet from disposable $5 wal mart crap to CT

7. TheBurnOut

TheBurnOut Senior member

This was all at my normal run of thrift stores.

I forgot to mention that I picked up a pair of Ferragamo loafers for a lady friend of mine. They were only $10 and they looked brand new. It was my first time venturing into the ladies section. I first noticed them in some woman's cart but saw them back on the rack a few minutes later. That was when I saw that they were Ferragamo's. Score.

On CT shirts- yes I mean Tyrwhitt. Beautiful construction, impeccable fit. I was poking around on their website and they have many many shirts on sale right now for $39-55. I might have to pick some up. Seems like a great deal to me, especially considering their fit and the lack of tailoring they'd require.

8. SimonC

SimonC Senior member

I got a really lovely vintage Yves Saint Laurent belt today, from before they licensed the brand - Made in France, dark green leather with a suede section in the centre,, solid brass buckle and very high quality leather.

[​IMG]

9. davesmith

Quote:
    look around the forum for Tyrwhitt coupons, there are some for more discounts and free shipping

10. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Senior member

i found what appears to be an unworn alan paine lambswool sweatervest in my size yesterday. i've never owned a sweatervest before.

[​IMG]

11. PLaydice

PLaydice Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    No Isiah or Brioni, but this stuff I found is pretty fun.

12. Tape

Tape Member

Found a Turnbull & Asser shirt practically brand new except the top button was barely hanging on by a thread.

13. MiamiRedSkin

MiamiRedSkin Senior member

meant to be a pm... sorry!

14. davesmith

Quote:
    [​IMG]

15. JordanH.

JordanH. Senior member

Olive green tweed with blue and orange, brown and green plaid, Holland & Sherry. I think it's about 3 yards or so.
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.