1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vigilant

Vigilant Senior member

Is that a sweet denim duvet?

2. Henry Boogers

Henry Boogers Senior member

I have 3 or 4 recent Hickey Freeman suits in 48L....i am just noticing this as I photographed them. If someone is interested shoot me a PM and I can get pics to work out a deal. Solid Navy, gray check, and I can't recall what the others were...

Any thoughts on this sweater I grabbed this morning? While not a P Diddy-approved 'bear sweater' this thing was oozing vintage awesomeness and depicts a popular enough sport that my spidey senses were tingling just a little. It's RL and states that it is hand knit from a cotton/linen blend.

[​IMG]

Edit - no identical items on eBay but based on similar hand knit items I am thinking an opener of $49.99...thoughts? Experience?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  3. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

^ There was a nearly identical one to that but with snowflakes in a fair isle style at a store today for $119. I was considering it, curious to see if its anything.

4. MattR

MattR Senior member

Made the rounds in PA. Nothing much to see. Got eluded by a Golden Fleece yet again, with ripped lining.

Did hit up the local TJ Maxx and Marshalls. Nothing at Marshalls, but TJM had several Versace and Dolce&Gobbana ties for $60 a pop. The Versaces were yellow with medusa heads spread around and a hot pink with a larger medusa head near the front tip. The D&G were the same white/green (I think) candy stripe (Looked like a wintergreen candycane, actually). Left them there, since there were all fairly ugly.

5. grendel

grendel Senior member

Let me know if you need any help... I'll work for clothes ;)

6. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

the Nordy Rack near me has been gettin a ton of Canali shit recently... beautiful SC's and a few suits... except always at least a size too big for me. I guess this is turning into a "things that are pissing me off" but they have the suit at only $699 (orig. $1699) and SC $389 (orig. $799). I WILL score one soon!

7. Henry Boogers

It would be like it is with me down there photographing stuff. My Wife is running the commercial steamer and prepping stuff and I'm over there going 'ooooh, I didn't realize this might be in my size.....I had better try it on before we take any pictures'. :slayer:

8. bytor13

bytor13 Senior member

I'm new to the forum and have only been thrifting seriously for about a month. I've really learned a lot from/been inspired by everyone's finds.

Today I came away with a navy Burberry blazer and a couple of ties (Brooks Brothers & Zegna). I also saw my first Gieves & Hawkes! Black blazer with brilliant button detail (swords) that appeared vaguely Christian in nature (crusades?). It was labeled 52L, but would that be in UK sizing? Is it worth picking up for flipping? Sorry for the crappy iPhone pic.

[​IMG]

9. Henry Boogers

As with everything the answer is that it depends on the price you paid! I picked up 2 or 3 similar jackets for under $10 quite happily; all of my examples were made by Hickey Freeman (show me the internal label and I can tell if yours was as well). A search of sold Gieves items shows a decent trend and if it didn't you could leverage the fact that it's possibly HF as well in the listing.

Here is one of mine if you want to see if it sells tomorrow:

10. Patrologia

Patrologia Senior member

Mostly misses on this last day of 2011. Only thing I picked up was a "Rust" colored zip sweater from JAB. Nothing special, but I liked the color, the fit was decent, it was for me, and it was NWT so I figured why not.

I matched up a couple of suits that had been separated as a year end offering to the Thrifting powers that be. One was an Alan Flusser, no idea who made it but it was from one of the 2-3 good men's stores in town. 41L or maybe XL. I actually found the trousers first and went looking for the jacket because the fabric was so nice. It was a grey pinstripe. I would have picked it up to flip, but it had fake working buttonholes. Not as hard to fix as actual working buttonholes, but still didn't seem like the chances were very good. If anyone is interested, PM me your sleeve length tolerances and I can check if it is still there next time I go by. (The trousers were originally 35 according to the tag in the jacket, but the GW staff had marked them as 34. I didn't measure.)

Apparently the local rental places are clearing inventory for the end of the year, because there were several tuxedos on the rack, and this is not a tuxedo wearing neighborhood. I left them all.

Also left a Geofrey Beene wing collar shirt. If anyone is interested, it was all cotton, pleated front, french cuffs and 17X34-35.

Here's to a good 2011, and a better 2012 - may it bring many good thrifts, and for me, hopefully a graduation.

11. Henry Boogers

I have a few Jos. A. Bank sweaters I really like; some made from Zegna yarns. The sweaters are probably the best items in the store...

12. Patrologia

Patrologia Senior member

Good to know, on your word Mr. Boogers, I'll count it as being SF tolerated, if not actually approved:rotflmao:

How in the world, however, do you know if the yarn is Zegna?

13. Henry Boogers

Check the website under sweaters and it shows which items are from Zegna yarns; I don't believe the garment itself shows it. I don't know that they are 'SF-approved' but not all of us go to work in a suit everyday. :nodding:

Edit:

I think this item was for the last 2-3 years but I don't see mention of it now. It still says 'Italian yarns' so it's likely the same material but they lost the rights to state 'Zegna'.

14. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Hartmann "Wings" diamond jacquard luggage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  15. bytor13

bytor13 Senior member

Thanks! The jacket was $6, so it wouldn't be a big deal if it doesn't sell. I'll pick it up tomorrow if it's still there.

16. bytor13

bytor13 Senior member

Thanks! I'll pick it up tomorrow, if it's still there. After all, it's only $6.

17. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I missed the story on this lot?

Dude, you got my PM about the Drakes square?

18. Mercuryman76

Mercuryman76 Senior member

Not much other than some ties today.

L-R
    Zegna, Zegna, Canali, Canali, Georgio Armani, Zegna, Hugo Boss
    [​IMG]

Then I picked up these two Kiton 7-folds at Marshall's
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And on my last stop picked up another Kiton 7-fold at the Goodwill.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

19. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Be prepared to pay Hartmann for that wheel. I tried to get a replacement strap for one of their duffles and they would gladly ship me one for $40 US. Briggs & Riley, OTOH, overnighted a replacement coupling strap for free. I like Hartmann. I love B&R!

20. bytor13

bytor13 Senior member

Thanks! I'll be picking it up for $6 tomorrow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.