• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheODGuy

Reaction score
Here are some finds from the last week. Let's just say it was a Zegna kinda week...

Starting with the shirts:
(Zegna's: $3.99 each, Zegna Jacket: $20, Paul Smith's: $2.99, Dolce and Gabbana: $4.50, Lorenzini: $1.99, RLPL: $2.99)
ffe53c05.jpg

dddad154.jpg

7d9f28a8.jpg

16eca655.jpg

88f2f804.jpg

5936b985.jpg

285c4fb5.jpg

cde28e26.jpg

e28951dd.jpg

1f942a83.jpg

4e4fc3fb.jpg

43e5e4af.jpg

Zegna Cashmere/Wool Sweater Blend ($4.99):
506f4a15.jpg

27ba6558.jpg

Ties ($1.99 each, Hermes tie is BNWT):
96fed784.jpg

afa3b6b5.jpg

7cc276e5.jpg

Ferragamo Loafers ($19.99):
44b6b1e0.jpg

7ba4b202.jpg

Last edited:

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Finally a big catch. $10 bought me a recent Henry Poole ivory dinner jacket. Totally bespoke, totally traditional with shawl collar, no vent, jet pockets, single button. It will fit with minor alterations, or it might see the auction block. Either way it's a stunning piece.

Glad to see you back in the game again! Nice score! :worship:

TheODguy - nice Zegna haul! All that stuff is recent, too! The recent stuff is way nicer than the older stuff. I think when they re-did the label design in 2004-ish they upped the quality a bit too. NWT Hermes too?! Amazing!

Last edited:

div25sec9

Reaction score
I'm not an expert on tweeds by any means, but tweed is the description of the cloth. The type of tweed is based on the origin of the cloth. The quality and value of the item is mainly based on the maker of the item. A quality tailor would make it of value, but a big box store item made of the same cloth using inferior techniques is not worth much.

LooknGr8

Reaction score
Elsewhere on SF, Donegal and Harris tweeds get high marks. Those aren't the only ones that are good, but you see so much tweed at thrift stores that's my "filter"...unless it's a really soft tweed from one of our go-to labels (RLPL, BB, etc), which I've seen. I did pick up a tweed that was simply labeled Sak's Fifth Ave that I liked the tan color...

That reminds me, I am looking for the classic black-white herringbone pattern Harris Tweed jacket in 38R; if you see one in decent shape and want to swap for any of the sportcoats I have on the trading post, I'm up for it.

YoungAmerican

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You're going to have to learn to recognize quality on a basis other than the name on the label.

Harris Tweed is universally high-quality fabric. It is hand-loomed, by definition, and generally quite beautiful. In order to label fabric Harris Tweed, it has to be made in Harris & Lewis by a local weaver from local yarn. It is made into jackets by a makers both high- and low-quality.

Donegal tweed is a style of fabric. It features colorful flecks on a relatively solid background. It can be made in Donegal (in Ireland) on hand-operated looms, or it can be made in China on a mass scale. Like Harris Tweed, it's made into jackets of all levels of quality.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thrifts have been weak lately. Went to my usual stops today and passed on a recent Carrot & Gibbs paisley tie and a recent Zegna tie. At $2.99 I just wasn't feeling them. Picked up two white Anne Fontaine blouses for the wife. Also nabbed a Fleetwood Mac's "Then Play On" LP. Been looking for this one for awhile now.

horse's_ass

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Took a chance on a larger-sized (46R) orphaned Zegna suit jacket today. I normally wouldn't buy a jacket sans the pants, but it is is 10% cashmere and in a check pattern that I've only previously seen in SCs. Cost was 4 bucks, so it really wasn't much of a gamble.

LooknGr8

Reaction score

Donegal tweed is a style of fabric. It features colorful flecks on a relatively solid background. It can be made in Donegal (in Ireland) on hand-operated looms, or it can be made in China on a mass scale. Like Harris Tweed, it's made into jackets of all levels of quality.

I guess I was referring to garments that possess the label on this page, which is one maker of Donegal Tweeds. I see them occasionally, but never in my size.

http://www.murphyofireland.com/donegal-tweed-jackets.php

LooknGr8

Reaction score
Also, hit my other local K&G today and scored two pairs of H-F Italy cords, a pair of Italy silk-linen pants, and a silk-cotton Italy sweater for $44-something. That's better than some thrifts, for new. One pair had a $250 original retail tag. Hit those clearance racks, gents. Some steals to be had.

Last edited:

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man, I am a streaky bugger. For weeks I hadn't found much worth mentioning, and then out of the blue I go on a sick run. Happens every time. Yesterday the Poole, today more Savile Row. Today it was 2 jackets by Anthony J. Hewitt. One, sadly, is an orphaned plain gray worsted suit jacket. I looked for the pants in vain, though it was tagged recently so I may go back to see if they turn up. Good thing I hounded the ladies section looking for those pants b/c it led me to a superb heavy tweed in a light greenish/tan herringbone, also by A.J. Hewitt. Dual vent, ticket pocket, classic English cut. Just in time for Fall/Winter as well! Sure hope my streak continues ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads