The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JHBU2011

JHBU2011 Member

there is a replica watch forum where you can post your watches and determine authenticity. People on there are real experts. There are certain replica watches now that are very well made with good movements and everything. Some replicas can top over $1000 with swiss movements. Although if you are wearing a fake adumars piguet you better not be still driving a honda civic lol.

2. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

Big fan of 1/2 price Weds. I got a couple cashmere sweaters for the kids last week, a big angora/mohair sweater for my wife that she adored, and some other assorted goodies last week at mine (nothing exotic for me, I'd picked it over well previously, hah!) for less than $10. IF you're picky, that is the best thrift store deal anywhere.

3. PLaydice

PLaydice Senior member

[​IMG]
    I think this is a tie case. No maker stamp, but says butter cow-hide. Had some Rl plastic collar stays on the inside. 1 buck.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    14 dollars total off etsy. I think this would have been at least 20 even in a thrift store here so:slayer:

[​IMG]
    These were in the alley by a dumpster!:nodding:

4. 83glt

83glt Senior member

Finally a big catch. $10 bought me a recent Henry Poole ivory dinner jacket. Totally bespoke, totally traditional with shawl collar, no vent, jet pockets, single button. It will fit with minor alterations, or it might see the auction block. Either way it's a stunning piece.

5. caseyfud

caseyfud Senior member

I went to Marshalls today after all the talk of finding Black and Golden Fleece ties there. I didn't find any of those, but I did find an Armani tie, a few Versace ties and a few Ferragamo ties. I didn't pick up any of them, but they were there.

6. mercedezzz

mercedezzz Active Member

Found my first Canali shirt today -- and in my husband's size.

I also saw my first Ascot Chang shirts -- SIX of them. All pristine white with French cuffs. But they were all monogrammed, so I left them. They were around $2.50 a piece and I'm guessing the size was 15ish. If any of you around Chicago are interested, PM me and I'll let you know where. Thrifting is so much more fun when you know what to look for!

7. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

Dude. :cheers:

Thanks for this tip.

Hit one of my K&Gs (reading mass) and it wasn't quite that good but tucked among a ton -- and I mean a ton -- of what appeared to be crummy Chinese "Hickey" diffusion sub-ordinary streetwear...I found H-F mainline Italy chinos, medium gray Italy linen trou, a dress shirt and an Italy wool sweater. $59 - $5 smartphone text coupon (text "save" to 79999) so it was 54.90-something. Fifteen bucks a pop.

Well done.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  8. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

pics?

9. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

What were the initials?

10. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Senior member

Found a NWT HF suit with a giant fucking hole in the left lapel today. Made me sad.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  11. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Thats a buttonhole, silly!

12. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Senior member

Haha, yeah, some moths took it upon themselves to carve out a third, absurdly placed buttonhole. Too bad they didn't take the time to sew on the corresponding button!

13. SpooPoker

Lazy asses.

14. amadar

amadar Senior member

So I have a question for you all. I have been running across a ton of tweed SC's recently, and I know nothing about what constitutes a quality tweed SC worth picking up. I've heard mention here and there of "Harris Tweed" as something reputable, but to be honest I see way too much of it for me to believe that it is that special. Below are some quick pics of a few tweed labels I passed by today.......any input?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. TheODGuy

TheODGuy Senior member

I definitely wanna pics of this! Great find!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.