• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mistermidwester

Reaction score
Originally Posted by eddievddr10
it was a regular store when i saw the price tag i almost fainted
bounce2.gif
i thought it was a cruel joke and missing like 1 or 2 zeros

If you see a couple new employees in the near future at the same place, it's probably because a couple got canned for leaving off a couple zeros and letting it out of the store...
facepalm.gif

Seriously, though, amazing find.
worship.gif

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mistermidwester
If you see a couple new employees in the near future at the same place, it's probably because a couple got canned for leaving off a couple zeros and letting it out of the store...
facepalm.gif

that actually happened to me once. i was digging around in a used book store and found an old signed first edition that i knew, but was pretty obscure. it was marked $10. i took it up front to buy it and the owner looked at it really closely. looked at me. looked at it again, checking to make sure i hadn't erased the original price and marked in my own. then sold it to me for $10. but on the way out of the store i heard her just reaming the guy who had marked it up: "do you have any idea how much that book was worth!"

still, not as good as a new tom ford (presuming, of course, that i could even fit in one).

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
that actually happened to me once. i was digging around in a used book store and found an old signed first edition that i knew, but was pretty obscure. it was marked $10. i took it up front to buy it and the owner looked at it really closely. looked at me. looked at it again, checking to make sure i hadn't erased the original price and marked in my own. then sold it to me for $10. but on the way out of the store i heard her just reaming the guy who had marked it up: "do you have any idea how much that book was worth!"

still, not as good as a new tom ford (presuming, of course, that i could even fit in one).

Nice. What was the book?

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by noobizor
Nice. What was the book?

it was by an old-time Southwest history writer (and former editor of the LA times) named Charles Lummis ... "Land of Poco Tiempo."

tone76

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JMayle
Congrats, I can't even begin to understand how stuff like that happens.

I'm thinking that some dude with a recently pissed off ex may be missing a Tom Ford suit ...

Either way, eddie is da man!
worship.gif

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had my first nice day at a thrift in awhile: 2 pairs Bills flat fronts, 32 waist 1 pair Incotex cottons in great shape 2 pairs RRL pants, similar - left another that was in too bad shape
frown.gif
Five Polo bow ties - I NEVER see bow ties... and someone just asked me about some to boot! Polo braces Etro tie Three Polo ties for a trade Passed on more Polo stuff than I could shake a stick at, and a couple of BUTT UGLY Missoni ties. All from the same guy, judging by drycleaning tags left on 75% of the stuff. I don't think it was a drycleaner's haul though.. because there were Polo shoes (woven leather loafers made in Italy, so I left them) and the braces / bows don't fit with that idea. Seriously though - there were at least a dozen pairs of jeans, khakis, shorts... each. Bunch of 80's armani and zegna ties too. The kicker is, this is at a store that doesn't put any long-sleeved shirts out right now... so I'm definitely going to try to be there the first day they put some out! Might take pics later if I feel like it. Can't compete with TF but in my neck of the woods...
laugh.gif

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
s81GC.jpg
Figured it'd be a crap day at the tie rack this afternoon when I passed a woman loudly exclaiming the virtues of a HOLY **** OSCAR DE LA RENTA!... But lo...she passed right over these. Seriously, wut? @ WGP -- pics, man! @ foodguy -- that's awesome. That'd excite me more than any clothes.
biggrin.gif

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tried some different spots today and didn't do too bad.

Burberry polo
5917278009_ab8c93e6f4.jpg

Ties: Seigo Katsuragawa, Z Zegna, Zegna. The Seigo is a brand I've never seen before. It's marked as a "limited edition", and is a nice weighty silk.
5917277559_4e5235dbaf.jpg

Goodyear welted loafers from John & Ashley (sadly, not John Lobb Ashley), size 8. Anybody heard of this firm? Google is giving me no joy.
5917277119_dafe539772.jpg

PRL loafers, size 8D. I'm pretty sure these are shell. They look a bit like Darltons, but not quite. Can anyone give me an idea about these?
5917835984_5d9d312c89.jpg

The shoes aren't my size and are for sale, so yell if you'd like them.

chiggah

Reaction score
What's a good online store to check out snowboarding gear? Preferably cheap prices and reliable international shipping. A shop that does combo deals on clothing, goggles, board bindings etc.. the works..

Ebay? yay or nay?

Kiwi Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
tumblr_lcscxuqkJd1qzy71uo1_400.gif

Exactly my thougtht!!!!!!

I want to congrat, but the jalousy took control over me!

Originally Posted by noobizor
s81GC.jpg

Figured it'd be a crap day at the tie rack this afternoon when I passed a woman loudly exclaiming the virtues of a HOLY **** OSCAR DE LA RENTA!...

But lo...she passed right over these.

Seriously, wut?

@ WGP -- pics, man!

@ foodguy -- that's awesome. That'd excite me more than any clothes.
biggrin.gif

I actually found OSCAR DE LA RENTA tie once...... Is it as good as Hermes? I know both ties are really high-end items.

Originally Posted by foodguy

Not to make you feel guilty, but how did it make you feel after hearing that she was screaming?

Anyway, it was a great story though.....

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chiggah
What's a good online store to check out snowboarding gear? Preferably cheap prices and reliable international shipping. A shop that does combo deals on clothing, goggles, board bindings etc.. the works..

Ebay? yay or nay?

Maybe Sierra Trading Post?

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
pics from yesterday.

pants are all size 32 with plenty of inseam available. isn't that your size, noobizor?
biggrin.gif

2x RRL button fly, Incotex. All flat front.

P1060765.JPG

Bills - one twill, one lightweight poplin. Both M2 flat front.
IMG_20110709_113807.jpg

Ties & braces - that Etro is pretty darn reserved, nice and heavy - it's old but it seems to be made maybe a little better (less thin and flimsy) than some of the newer silk ones. Probably keeping the braces, 1 bow tie, and the Etro, much to my wife's chagrin.
wink.gif

P1060763.JPG

Oh... and one other thing I saw and wanted to inflict upo...err, share with you all:
laugh.gif

IMG_20110707_203948.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads