The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor

Can you experienced posters pls tell me why my previous pic (shoes) showed up, but this time it was a link? Used imageshack both times. Advice appreciated.

when posting you have to click the little yellow box [​IMG]

insert your link in the box and it will have these tags [​IMG]

2. Lin

Lin Member

In the shoes post you used IMG tags, in the scarf post you didn't.

When looking at the pic on the ImageShack page, click on the "Imbed this Image" drop down menu, then copy the "Forum" link.

[​IMG]

Thank you!!

3. Lin

Lin Member

when posting you have to click the little yellow box [​IMG]

insert your link in the box and it will have these tags [/IMG ] around the link, then it will come up as a pic[/I]

Thank you!

4. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

Couple stores today and meh: apt 9 cashmere sweater for my sister as thanks for babysitting Saks 44R made in Canada hunter green 100% loro piana cashmere jacket... unvented. [​IMG] Picked it up anyway since I liked the color and it's recent and in great shape. Debating whether to go to Ebay or consignment with it.

5. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

What's terrible about unvented, again? I believe cashmere cancels it out...

6. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

Eh, it's a style thing - I don't mind it, but a lot of guys want vents. There's even some guys who won't wear single vents for whatever reason, only side vents. It's partly just what's in fashion but there is some practical use for vents too.

BTW concerns about things like that go out the window if it's got the right label on it, as you would expect. This one would have been left on the rack if it were generic 100% cashmere - the LP label means someone MIGHT want it. I have a Geoffery Beene Signature Collection that's the same way - LP cashmere is its one redeeming quality. I'd never spend HUGE bucks on such an article, though.

FYI unvented is more proper on a tux (if you care about propriety & tuxes). However, IMO thrifting a tux that doesn't fit you should be limited to the usual "don't leave, no matter what" brands.

7. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

Couple stores today and meh:

apt 9 cashmere sweater for my sister as thanks for babysitting
    Saks 44R made in Canada hunter green 100% loro piana cashmere jacket... unvented. [​IMG] Picked it up anyway since I liked the color and it's recent and in great shape. Debating whether to go to Ebay or consignment with it.

Is there any pattern to it?

8. jstupple19

jstupple19 Well-Known Member

As promised, some pics of the Hickey Freeman blazer I found the other day:
    [​IMG]

The buttons are very nice, but are not as "bright" as they appear in the photo below. They have "St.Georgius Equium Patronus" embossed on them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Size 42R, 90% wool/10% cashmere. Single vent at the back. Sleeves are 25.5", shoulder to shoulder is 19", and its 32" in length. It's a fairly slim fit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It needs dry cleaning to take care of a few wrinkles, but its in perfect condition. It has three pockets inside the left breast and one inside the right, along with black stitching around the button holes (at least I think so...I'm colorblind [​IMG] ).

As I said, it's up for grabs, so just shoot me a PM if you want to make an offer. I'm not sure what exactly what this is worth, so I'll consider any reasonable offer.

9. regulator

regulator New Member

Funny how the higher end stuff is always cheaper than all that moores and tip top shit.

Today I scavenged a db zegna suit, an old ysl blazer and a hickey freeman coat. I find compelled to buy anything that would cost a lot new even if it's completely impractical. The zegna and hickey freeman stuff is both 10 sizes too big (48). If anyone's interested send me a PM. I just wanna get the money back I paid for all that (85 bucks).

10. hmmurdock

hmmurdock Senior member

Funny how the higher end stuff is always cheaper than all that moores and tip top shit.

Today I scavenged a db zegna suit, an old ysl blazer and a hickey freeman coat. I find compelled to buy anything that would cost a lot new even if it's completely impractical. The zegna and hickey freeman stuff is both 10 sizes too big (48). If anyone's interested send me a PM. I just wanna get the money back I paid for all that (85 bucks).

In my experience, if it's in decent shape, not completely dated and doesn't have any extremely strange measurements, stuff for the big guys sells pretty decently on the bay.

11. mercedezzz

mercedezzz Active Member

Yesterday I found a beautiful light blue shantung silk tie for 75 cents. I've been on the lookout for one since Jesse of Put This On posted about them. It's nice & slubby!

12. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

[​IMG]

13. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

Is there any pattern to it?

No, solid dark green 100% lp cashmere.

14. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

I finally made it to a thrift close to where SWMBO works and it was just as I had hoped. For the first time, I saw more 'Made in Italy' labels than JAB! Canali and Corneliani (slight damage and not my size) in the same store! Then I found this. It's a 2 button with side vents. Label inside says 1989. No mention of drop so I hope it's a true SC and not an orphan. I searched the pants racks but no luck. [​IMG] Ticket pocket! [​IMG]

15. tennesseean_87

tennesseean_87 Active Member

I found two pair of size ten Belgian Shoes in good-excellent condition for $25 each. Are they worth flipping?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.