The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ilikethelights

ilikethelights Senior member

Went to Wisconsin this morning to buy beer and fireworks, made a thrift stop over there and found: Oxxford houndstooth Cashwool size 40 short? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Scotch & Soda cotton blazer size L (50). looks pretty much new (If anyone can tell me when this might be from let me know, I'm having trouble finding anything like it). [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Haven't decided if i'm keeping either of them, both seem to fit decent

2. Lin

Lin Member

Was happy to find these Allen Edmonds 11.5 D loafers today, in pretty good shape. (First try at posting a pic. Aplogies if it doesn't work).

[​IMG]

3. morefishscale

morefishscale Well-Known Member

Heading out to my local Goodwill to drop off a few bags of donations. Let's see if I score on anything worthy.

The last few pages have been amazing. Great pick ups!

4. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Senior member

ran headfirst into a tie bonanza today. all in mint condition.

1 RLPL
    2 Diors
    1 Zegna
    2 Polo
    1 Boss

5. vinasity

vinasity Senior member

Picked up two 100% cashmere jackets today that fit me perfectly and I plan on keeping them for myself. They have no tags on them just this logo does anyone know what this is?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Wow, that's a great deal! Lemme know how you like it. I've been debating on purchasing something like this for awhile now. Ironing is a pain.
    Will do. I tried it out there and it did a decent job but the lady I bought it from said it worked better if you sprayed a little starch on the cotton first. As I am planning on going strictly with BB no iron slim fits, I will most likely be using this to take the wrinkles out of wool pants and such between cleanings. Maybe fold and press a stack of boxers all at one time or something!
    Was happy to find these Allen Edmonds 11.5 D loafers today, in pretty good shape. (First try at posting a pic. Aplogies if it doesn't work). [​IMG]
    The thing I love about AE tassels is that you can adjust the fit by reknotting the tassel cords more tightly or loosely as needed. Just be careful not to pull on the tassels themselves. They WILL come off and then you have to fix it or visit the cobbler which defeats the purpose of finding the shoes for a low price. BTW...I loves me some AE's. Nice find!

7. SnarlPatrick

SnarlPatrick Senior member

Vintage Hickock Shell Cordovan belt. Made for a buckle without a pin though. To punch an oblong hole? or not to punch one? [​IMG]

8. Lin

Lin Member

Will do. I tried it out there and it did a decent job but the lady I bought it from said it worked better if you sprayed a little starch on the cotton first. As I am planning on going strictly with BB no iron slim fits, I will most likely be using this to take the wrinkles out of wool pants and such between cleanings. Maybe fold and press a stack of boxers all at one time or something!

The thing I love about AE tassels is that you can adjust the fit by reknotting the tassel cords more tightly or loosely as needed. Just be careful not to pull on the tassels themselves. They WILL come off and then you have to fix it or visit the cobbler which defeats the purpose of finding the shoes for a low price.

BTW...I loves me some AE's. Nice find!

Thank you for the tip!

9. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

The thing I love about AE tassels is that you can adjust the fit by reknotting the tassel cords more tightly or loosely as needed. Just be careful not to pull on the tassels themselves. They WILL come off and then you have to fix it or visit the cobbler which defeats the purpose of finding the shoes for a low price.

BTW...I loves me some AE's. Nice find!

This "remedy" sounds very...

[​IMG] -ey

[​IMG]

10. SimonC

SimonC Senior member

Just a few bits this weekend:

- Huntsman RTW suit in a solid blue DB
    - Cordings bespoke (handmade) covert coat in a very heavyweight cloth
    - Alpaca blend pink kit tie
    - Bottle green cummerbund with boars heads embroidered on it

11. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

This "remedy" sounds very... [​IMG] -ey [​IMG]
    It's more like THIS. [​IMG] [​IMG] My Nashuas were unwearable, even though they were my natural size, I was walking out of them with almost every step. I was getting toe cramp from trying to keep them on my feet. I wasted almost $10 on those stupid pads pictured above to no avail. Then I pulled the cords tighter and reknotted and now they are quite comfortable. Of course, I pulled the tassel off and had to effect a repair involving a Swingline desktop stapler and a pair of needlenose pliers. [​IMG]

12. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Just a few bits this weekend:

- Huntsman RTW suit in a solid blue DB

I imagine that Savile Row stuff is as common in thrifts as Oxxford stuff is over here. I've only twice found actual bespoke Savile Row stuff.

13. Lin

Lin Member

14. Lin

Lin Member

Can you experienced posters pls tell me why my previous pic (shoes) showed up, but this time it was a link? Used imageshack both times. Advice appreciated.

15. JMayle

JMayle Well-Known Member

In the shoes post you used IMG tags, in the scarf post you didn't.

When looking at the pic on the ImageShack page, click on the "Imbed this Image" drop down menu, then copy the "Forum" link.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.