• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilikethelights

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
I'm a big fan of pre-1970 C&W music.
Same here. I think we're looking for all the same stuff. Same LP as this signed one I found in a google image search:
gS80.jpg

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I swear that sometimes it seems as if a benevolent force with a slightly twisted sense of humor is aiding my thrifting efforts. At the local SA, I found a very interesting pair of blue plaid slacks labeled "Palm Beach / Collection of Champions" which I can't find on the internet. Fit was pretty close but I passed for now. Then, I swung by the nearest GW in search of a cotton sport coat much like what is currently being posted in WAYWRN and, amazingly, found a cotton, Made in Italy, 3 button Banana Republic SC in 40S which fit like a dream, arms and all. Only problem was that it was a forbidden color. Khaki.
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
I bought it anyhow. I ran it over to Elmira and asked her to press the lapels down into a 3 roll 2, which she did at NO CHARGE. Nine bucks total. I'd show you guys but I don't want to get yelled at for wearing muddy colors. I'll pair it with a blue dress shirt and a bright tie. Maybe the AF blue Canali slacks. Yeah!

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ilikethelights
Same here. I think we're looking for all the same stuff.

Same LP as this signed one I found in a google image search:
gS80.jpg

Cool find! I'm more into obscure late 60's/early 70's psychedelic and prog rock, but I also love mid-late 80's pop/aor/synth-pop, 30's-40's big band, rocka-billy and doo-person of Italian descent from the 50's and old country. Talk about a wide range of music! Thing is, I've built up such a large collection of 80's and old country that I'm mostly on the prowl for 50's rock n' roll/doo-person of Italian descent and the psych/prog stuff. That stuff is tough to find, though!

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cool find! I'm more into obscure late 60's/early 70's psychedelic and prog rock, but I also love mid-late 80's pop/aor/synth-pop, 30's-40's big band, rocka-billy and doo-person of Italian descent from the 50's and old country. Talk about a wide range of music! Thing is, I've built up such a large collection of 80's and old country that I'm mostly on the prowl for 50's rock n' roll/doo-person of Italian descent and the psych/prog stuff. That stuff is tough to find, though!
Someday, you're going to die and your loved ones will go through your things and donate all those funny old records with the faded covers to Goodwill... ...and a young man, in search of obscure mid-late 80's pop/aor/synth-pop, 30's-40's big band, rocka-billy and doo-person of Italian descent from the 50's and old country will stumble across them and race home with his new found swag to post about it on whatever form of communication the internet or whatever it has evolved into.
lol8[1].gif

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do NOT try to placate her by buying a few antique thimbles. You will regret it.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I happen to have a blue, two-button 40S Banana Republic SC in the thrifter's trading post, *and* I am not forbidden to wear khaki.

You know, if anyone happens to be interested...

biggrin.gif

ilikethelights

Reaction score
That very well might be the case someday! My wife sure does not understand my record collecting hobby.
laugh.gif

ha we're at a record collection vs. pyrex dish collection here. someday a goodwill will get an awesome collection of both of these.

ilikethelights

Reaction score

I come from a more punk rock/90s indie rock background but the 60s/70s psychedelic is definitely on my radar. The rest not as much but mostly I just buy a lot of records...

Tyrone MacStiophain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Digmenow

I bought it anyhow. I ran it over to Elmira and asked her to press the lapels down into a 3 roll 2, which she did at NO CHARGE. Nine bucks total. I'd show you guys but I don't want to get yelled at for wearing muddy colors.

Lucky you can trust someone to do that job. I brought a thrifted 2-button jacket to a nearby alterationist who did a fine job on an admittedly lame jacket, but the lapel was folding too low over the button. She recommended I have my dry cleaner press it into my desired shape. So I went to my local dry cleaner, who proceeded to press deep creases into both lapels.
baldy[1].gif

Thank god it was just a beater jacket, but it's in the donations bag now.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by noobizor
I happen to have a blue, two-button 40S Banana Republic SC in the thrifter's trading post, *and* I am not forbidden to wear khaki.

You know, if anyone happens to be interested...

biggrin.gif

I like the cut of your jib, sailor. Maybe we should take this private?

Wait...wut?

Actually, there are a couple of very light stains on the shoulder that I didn't see until I was at the alteration shop getting the lapels pressed. I need to take it to the cleaners before offering it as a first class trade. But I am interested...
devil.gif

amadar

Reaction score
Decent day today: Florsheim Imperial Shell Cordovan Longwings. 9.5D. Good shape with plenty of life left in the soles and heels. Will be hitting the b/s.
IMG_0335.jpg
3 pairs of basically NWOT Zanella slacks, all around 33/32. All double pleated. The top pair are SUPER nice, wool/cashmere blend with a cool brown checked pattern. All b/s bound as well.
IMG_0341.jpg
O and these. 9.5D.
IMG_0340.jpg

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tyrone MacStiophain
Lucky you can trust someone to do that job. I brought a thrifted 2-button jacket to a nearby alterationist who did a fine job on an admittedly lame jacket, but the lapel was folding too low over the button. She recommended I have my dry cleaner press it into my desired shape. So I went to my local dry cleaner, who proceeded to press deep creases into both lapels.
baldy[1].gif

Thank god it was just a beater jacket, but it's in the donations bag now.

I'm hoping that the pressing takes hold. I think taking the jacket to the cleaners might cement that new lapel fold into place.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did better today. Apart from the below items, I left a fair bit behind, including Pauls Smith sirt and shoes, and a Lagerfeld tie. My heart skipped a beat when I glanced at a shirt label, only to realise it said "Brioni of Bangkok". :-( Gilt Art Deco cufflinks, made in England. (Can't discern the maker's name).
5892763993_ce6f9441e0.jpg
Ties. L-R: Nicky, Altea, Corneliani, Lochcarron Harris cloth, Herringbone (local firm, hand made in Italy)
5892724675_6b3c2324a3.jpg
CT shirt, my size
5892724287_fcf221c1a3.jpg
Versace V2 Jeans
5893292618_5f4af76974.jpg
Zegna blazer, metal buttons, EU52L drop 6
5893292954_c89b334e68.jpg
Valentino Garavani wool/cashmere blazer, EU52R drop 7
5892725707_e5f7ddc409.jpg

Guitar Preacher

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ilikethelights
Same here. I think we're looking for all the same stuff.

Same LP as this signed one I found in a google image search:
gS80.jpg

Very cool find.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads