• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

potemkin_city_limits

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went out again later today to my friend Jon's 1 year anniversairy party for his barber shop called Crows Nest in Kensington Market and found a couple nice pocket squares. One of the yellow squares is silk and the other is cotton.
2hd8ftx.jpg

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
More finds today. Revisited the estate sale that I got the Oxxfords at on Thurs. Picked up the last two wide-shouldered hangers and a black pure cashmere d/b Oxxford blazer with antler buttons. Passed on a black pair of Santoni (non FAM) blutchers, size 9 D. If anyone wants, I'll be back midweek and can see if they're still there. Good shape. $6.99

Also found a navy/light blue pinstripe suit from Boateng, Oswald's diffusion line. Never seen a Boateng anything before so I had to grab it, even if it's the diffusion line. Really cool details. Hacking pockets, pick stitching, flat front pants, side vents and purple lining! 44 R.

potemkin_city_limits

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ended up having a little extra time later on today and visited a Value Village near my place and found a navy and yellow striped Polo Ralph Lauren tie as well as a nice chore coat from Gap. I would take some photos but my camera is already packed away and I just dont feel like taking it out again.

cpmac7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChetBakerSings
This is the first J. Press anything I've come across.

5847368658_dd860c672a.jpg

It's a regular (31") and at 6'2" I wear a long (most of my jackets are 32 or 32.5"). Would it be dumb of me to wear this thing anyway? Can a taller dude get away with wearing a regular sometimes?

5846805687_2ddc5e2e34.jpg

Pretty sick!

horse's_ass

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today I found a pair of like new (seriously, no wear at all) AE "Shelton" saddles for $6.50. They have Vibram Gumlight soles, which isn't my favorite look, but I live in Oregon so I guess its a case of function over style.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I finally found a white, spread collar slim fit no iron Brooks Brothers dress shirt in my neck/sleeve length! No pic because, well...it's just a white shirt but I LOVE the fit and feel very good about finding every bullet point in a shirt that I have been wanting. Meanwhile... Any chance these are the real McCoys? They DO feel nice on my feet (my size!)
IMG_20110618_225630.jpg

IMG_20110618_225641.jpg
IMG_20110618_225714.jpg
IMG_20110618_225722.jpg

Yeah...'nother tie for the collection.
IMG_20110619_065724.jpg

Wolfador

Reaction score
I am In DC for the open this weekend. I stopped by the two filene's basements I passed.

They had a bunch of Brooks Brother ties. Some were the Golden Fleece ones, all we're 17.99.

They also had some Zegna and Brioni ties for $30.

Kiwi Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by noobizor
x4j29.jpg

USuIP.jpg

AB9PR.jpg

gXWUW.jpg

44L, y'all.

Sold as both suit and SC. Whoa!

satisfied.gif

That's a very nice suit. Because I'm a brandwhore, Burberry is my favourite!

Nice find!

Originally Posted by TheWGP
Coming soon to a B&S thread near you...

if I ever get my butt in gear, that is!

$15 at a yard sale. Apparently some girl just got back from "fashion design" school in NYC. Said she paid 20 bucks at a store closing store in NYC - I figure I paid a fair price for it. Mannequins in thrift/consignment stores around here tend to be $50-75, which is why I haven't had one till now.

The hands don't really match, but I figure I don't really need them. Odd pose, though... may be annoying to put stuff on it. Still, 15 bucks is worth a shot.

IMG_3617.JPG

That's awesome. It would be handy if you ever want to re-sell anything that you find from thrift shops.

Originally Posted by Nataku
More finds today. Revisited the estate sale that I got the Oxxfords at on Thurs. Picked up the last two wide-shouldered hangers and a black pure cashmere d/b Oxxford blazer with antler buttons. Passed on a black pair of Santoni (non FAM) blutchers, size 9 D. If anyone wants, I'll be back midweek and can see if they're still there. Good shape. $6.99

Also found a navy/light blue pinstripe suit from Boateng, Oswald's diffusion line. Never seen a Boateng anything before so I had to grab it, even if it's the diffusion line. Really cool details. Hacking pockets, pick stitching, flat front pants, side vents and purple lining! 44 R.

I remember going to back yard sales and I found certain high-end items. They tend to be priced according to the brand name, so I ended leaving empty handed.

toscano_adottato

Reaction score
I've been following this thread for months now and after learning my lessons, I went forth and attempted to conquer. I got a ton of stuff for myself that I won't bore you with but here is what I'm gonna try to flip on Ebay. I can send pics to anyone interested. -JPress Pressidential suit, 3 roll 2 SB blue with pinstripes. Size 44. -Oxxford Charcoal Gray DB suit. Tagged a 44. -Burberry 2 button SB suit. Light brown nailshead. -Brioni 2 button SC. Blue with smallish gold checks. It is tagged a 42 but it has to be a 42s. (Either that or I have freakish monkey arms.) -Mabro 3 button SC. Grey with gold windowpane. Tagged 56 but I think that is Euro. -Brooks Brothers 3 roll 2.5 blazer with gold buttons. Blue. Beautiful blazer tagged 44S (
ffffuuuu.gif
) -Valentino Boutique SC Gray herringbone. Tagged Euro 52. -Hickey Freeman orphaned suit jacket (I know...I looked everywhere for the pants) Tagged 44 Dark gray with pinstripes. -Gianfranco Ferre SC tagged Euro 52. I'm not real good at descriping colors but it is a red/rust/brown pattern. Lightweight summer jacket but weird combo of materials. At least I think it's weird. -Ermenegildo Zegna Taglio Exclusivo Trofeo SC 3 button. Black/red/gold textured pattern. Tagged a Euro 58 so it's a biggun. -Brioni Sport button down shirt. XXL (18.5/46) 100% cotton, unbelievable soft. creme color plaid with blue, red and grayish/green checks.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by toscano_adottato
-Burberry Prorsum 2 button SB suit. Light brown nailshead.
Doubtful this is from the actual Prorsum runway line. It's likely the old label with the "Prorsum" flag. If it is indeed from the Prorsum line, I'm interested.

toscano_adottato

Reaction score
You are probably right. It is on a flag.. I'm still a newb at this so pardon the misrepresentation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads