• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
x4j29.jpg

USuIP.jpg
AB9PR.jpg
gXWUW.jpg

44L, y'all. Sold as both suit and SC. Whoa!
satisfied.gif

Hornswaggler

Reaction score
Another day, another tie. Except this time, the tie was a Valentino grenadine:
vt.jpg

The pic quality is atrocious (laptop camera), but I'm keeping this one, so it doesn't matter too much to me.
biggrin.gif
(This was regular thrift, not by-the-pound thrift...)

potemkin_city_limits

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found a cool collection of vintage cufflinks, tie tacks, and lapel pins today. Less than $10 for the lot. I especially like the microphone cufflinks in the center. Does anyone know exactly what the two things are on the bottom right. One is black and the other looks like a button. I have been finding these recently and just sticking them in the hold in my lapel but I wasnt sure if thats what they were made for.
24g9cbb.jpg

YoungAmerican

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You don't want to take pity on a radio host and sell him the microphone links, do ya?

Orgetorix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by potemkin_city_limits
Does anyone know exactly what the two things are on the bottom right. One is black and the other looks like a button. I have been finding these recently and just sticking them in the hold in my lapel but I wasnt sure if thats what they were made for.

They're shirt studs for a formal shirt. They'd originally each have been in a matching set of three, possibly with matching cufflinks.

potemkin_city_limits

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Orgetorix
They're shirt studs for a formal shirt. They'd originally each have been in a matching set of three, possibly with matching cufflinks.

Thats what I was thinking they may have been but Ive never seen more than one at a time at any of the places Ive found them. They work well as decorations for my lapels on any of my jackets with working boutonniere holes.

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
That nutter is insane. If its a 42R or so, you should PM that to MBreinin. Seriously.

It is also insanely small. The shoulders measure to about 16", the pit to pit measurements would make it about a 36 or 37 and the trousers measure to about 26 and little room to work.

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Coming soon to a B&S thread near you...

if I ever get my butt in gear, that is!

$15 at a yard sale. Apparently some girl just got back from "fashion design" school in NYC. Said she paid 20 bucks at a store closing store in NYC - I figure I paid a fair price for it. Mannequins in thrift/consignment stores around here tend to be $50-75, which is why I haven't had one till now.

The hands don't really match, but I figure I don't really need them. Odd pose, though... may be annoying to put stuff on it. Still, 15 bucks is worth a shot.

IMG_3617.JPG

amadar

Reaction score
Found about 5 mint Robert Talbott Estate Bespoke shirts, all size 15/33 for $10 each. Didn't pick them up though because all were monogrammed on the sleeves (and one on the chest), and not my size. Super nice shirts, retail i guess is $275ish.

If anybody wants me to proxy let me know, I may just go back and pick them up anyway, I think someone on here said its somewhat easy to remove monogramming with the correct tool.

Also found my first stitch of RLPL ever! Really nice recent blue linen shirt in my size for $3. Very very small hole on the chest though (anyone know if its possible to repair a very small hole in linen?)

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amadar
Also found my first stitch of RLPL ever! Really nice recent blue linen shirt in my size for $3. Very very small hole on the chest though (anyone know if its possible to repair a very small hole in linen?)

Congrats! Always a bit of a thrill that first time more so than afterwards.
smile.gif

I've never repaired anything like that in linen, so can't help you there. I imagine reweaving would be possible but super-expensive. Is it a HOLE or a TEAR/CUT? If the fabric can still cover the hole, you might be able to use one of those stick-on patches at least as a temporary alternative?

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I repaired a hole in a linen shirt once; just snipped off a tiny square from the bottom or the inside of the shirt, turned it inside out, applied a dab of super glue to the edges of the fabric square, then patched the hole.

It worked like a charm. It's also, I'm pretty sure, 1000% non-SF approved.
wink.gif

amadar

Reaction score
^^^^Thanks Noobizor, the holes is so small I think that might actually work
smile.gif

ArsenalDan

Reaction score
Well this was a weird find:

LL Bean Signature harrington jacket in "soapstone" with a great white and blue plaid lining in a GW for $8....a NYC GW no less. Yah yah only made in China LL Bean, but it fits well.

This one: http://bit.ly/kmMb8Y

Based on the reviews available online, it can be no older than last summer, and all it needs is a drycleaning....
biggrin.gif

A few other cheap, not particularly good quality pick ups that will fill holes in my wardrobe as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads