• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
Comme des Garcons...Band of Outsiders
Rare!
worship.gif

Xenos

Reaction score
Nataku, nice haul! Nice Oxxfords. And Brioni and Prada t-shirts? Seriously?! TheWGP, you got your TF! Nice tie. So is the Kiton. And so are the RLPLs. Jeez. The list goes on and on.

TheBurnOut

Reaction score
Passed on some pretty nice things today. I'm happy to proxy if anyone wants.

-Oxxford suit- 40S ish, charcoal- pretty decent shape.
-Brioni SC- 44R, pin dot. I left it because it's not vented.
-Boss Scorsese Suit- 41R. This one was in decent shape but smelled like somebody had an "incident" while wearing it.
-Burberry SC- 40R ish. Bright yellow, bitching.

I did happen to pick up some things for myself-

- Hermes tie- snapping alligators / turtles motif
- J Press tie- paisley to the MAXXXXXXX
- Canterbury NZ chinos NWT $10
- PRL silk / cotton slacks NWT
- PRL linen / cotton SC NWT- it's white, fits well but I can't decide if it looks like a lab coat or not
- PRL Madras shirt- fits like a glove and I look like a champ in it

And I got some things because they were too good to pass

- Brioni shirt- light blue, french cuffs
- Brioni shirt- white w/ subtle checkered pattern- has some sweat stains but it's soaking in vinegar- we'll see how it comes out. I might end up making pocket squares out of the material
- Burberry's SC- 40ish. Beautiful muted windowpane. It's winterweight and is too small as of now, but I've been dropping weight like a madman. Maybe it'll fit by the time it's cool enough to wear it.

AHS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pair of RM Williams boots in good condition but in need of a little treatment and polish. AUS 11G. About an 11-1/2 or 12 in US. Too big for me so they're already on ebay.

BTW, anyone know how to remove magic marker pricing from the soles?

Minarchist

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheBurnOut
Passed on some pretty nice things today. I'm happy to proxy if anyone wants.

-Oxxford suit- 40S ish, charcoal- pretty decent shape.

Would def. be interested in a proxy if it's actually an S, say 29.5" collar-to-hem length or less. Pics/deets?

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
Hit an estate sale and two thrifts today. Happy to report that I had a much needed score after a looooong drought. First stop was an estate sale. They had about 20 Oxxford suits and sportcoats. Did a bit of bargaining and got an amazing price for two sportcoats and a suit. I grabbed the most recent and nicest looking pieces. Left some decent but dated stuff behind (pure cashmere D/B 6/1 jackets, etc). Rest is from one thrift store. Oxxfords are up for grabs. All are MTM and about a 46-48 R/L. Single vented.

** Warning*** Pic extensive post.

Oxxford suit.

DSC07982.jpg

DSC07983.jpg

DSC07985.jpg

Oxxford Alpaca sportcoat

DSC07986.jpg

DSC07987.jpg

Oxxford sportcoat

DSC07988.jpg

DSC07989.jpg

Five recent wide-shouldered Oxxford hangers (one not shown)

DSC07990.jpg

Polo shirts (Etro x 2 and a recent Robert Talbott Carmel)

DSC07998.jpg

Shirts ( Jil Sander x2, Woolrich Woolen Mills, Paul Smith London)

DSC07999.jpg

Shirts (Comme des Garcons, Fray, Band of Outsiders)

DSC08000.jpg

White T-shirts (Brioni, Prada)

DSC07997.jpg

Ties: (Charvet x2, Vintage Hermes x2, recent selvedge Zegna)

DSC07996.jpg

DSC07995.jpg

Shoes ( Heschung pebble grain slip-on driving mocs)

DSC07991.jpg

You know who to PM if you need to unload some shirts right?
biggrin.gif

EBTX66

Reaction score
Nataku - I had a chance to drop in on the thread after a long absense and I'm glad to see my old buddy finally had a good score! Congrats.

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWGP
P1060750.jpg

the first Tom Ford I've ever seen, and the first stitch of Kiton I've seen in any bricks-&-mortar store!
bounce2.gif

NWT Tom Ford in Cowtown thrift store? Noice.

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ace_Face
NWT Tom Ford in Cowtown thrift store? Noice.

Discount, not thrift, sadly.

Still, I now officially get what the fuss over TF ties is about. Ri-fricking-diculous. Are there TF 7-folds? Do you get neck strain because your tie is so thick? Maybe TF should get with the trend and make an 11-fold, so weightlifters can work out even when at weddings and funerals!
laugh.gif

My wife is having some difficulty processing why I was so excited over the TF and Kiton in particular. Then she handled the TF to take photos... and the first word out of her mouth was "Daaaaamn!"

'Nuff said!

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Often, when and where you least expect it, you come across a gem. I was outside my usual thrifting areas and had the chance to visit a few shops I'd never been to. One was a tiny store front that was literally stuffed floor to ceiling with so much...stuff...that the woman at the door warned me not to trip as I walked through the shop. Deep in the back was a rack of men's suits and literally the last one on the rack was this...
photo-4.jpg
photo-3.jpg
photo-5.jpg
I've thrifted more than a couple Saville Row items but I never thought I'd see a Nutter. I'm guessing its from his RTW line, but a Nutter nonetheless. How it made its way to a tiny thrift store in a dying, semi-rural town in W. Pa, I'll never know.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by YoungAmerican
I do a lot of estate sale shopping, and have had a few great scores. Generally, you'll find that women outlive men, so there are much more likely to be women's vintage clothes than men's. Also, most men dress horribly, especially in their retirement. Keep an eye peeled, though, for listings advertising quality men's clothing.
That's it...I'm having a sex change just so I can outlive myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads