The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Found a parts bike for a BMX bike im restoring, and a pair of Sperrys in my size (13)
    I've actually begun looking at the big shoes in case there's a 13 that you might like. I figure I'll get that 41R BB SC from you one way or the other.

Been ignoring the thrift shops and this thread for a bit, but I picked up some stuff recently. First stop, an Estate sale where I got: ...
    I really want to find some estate sales. I'm 20 minutes from an "old money/career federal politician" area. I bet I've missed out on some prime stuff.

... I hid it way in the back so I could google it when I got home...
    Bad Navi. No biscuit!

...............................[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Zegna striped shirt, size 17 neck. [​IMG][​IMG]
    How much was this shirt? I may be interested if the sleeves don't seem oddly short (I'm a 34 sleeve).
    Do Robert Graham shirts really sell for $100 like eBay is leading me to believe..? That seems completely ridiculous taking into account how ugly most of their shirts are. Saw a button up of theirs today, small, with diagonal stripes... I hid it way in the back so I could google it when I got home, guess I'll be going back tomorrow to pick it up.
    The uglier/wilder/crazier they are, the more they get. The ones with the embroidered label do the best. Most of the ones I pick up fetch about $40-$60.

3. Tyrone MacStiophain

Tyrone MacStiophain Senior member

4. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

How much was this shirt? I may be interested if the sleeves don't seem oddly short (I'm a 34 sleeve).

Darn you Nataku I like that one...but I'm a 35" sleeve.

5. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

6. Navi

Navi Senior member

found these balla ass sneaks today, both fit me perfectly. The first pair is so amazing, I think I'm in love. Also a nice pair of chelsea boots, which are a nice deep dark brown in person, look alot brighter in the pic than they really are.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Hit an estate sale and two thrifts today. Happy to report that I had a much needed score after a looooong drought. First stop was an estate sale. They had about 20 Oxxford suits and sportcoats. Did a bit of bargaining and got an amazing price for two sportcoats and a suit. I grabbed the most recent and nicest looking pieces. Left some decent but dated stuff behind (pure cashmere D/B 6/1 jackets, etc). Rest is from one thrift store. Oxxfords are up for grabs. All are MTM and about a 46-48 R/L. Single vented. ** Warning*** Pic extensive post. Oxxford suit. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Oxxford Alpaca sportcoat [​IMG] [​IMG] Oxxford sportcoat [​IMG] [​IMG] Five recent wide-shouldered Oxxford hangers (one not shown) [​IMG] Polo shirts (Etro x 2 and a recent Robert Talbott Carmel) [​IMG] Shirts ( Jil Sander x2, Woolrich Woolen Mills, Paul Smith London) [​IMG] Shirts (Comme des Garcons, Fray, Band of Outsiders) [​IMG] White T-shirts (Brioni, Prada) [​IMG] Ties: (Charvet x2, Vintage Hermes x2, recent selvedge Zegna) [​IMG] [​IMG] Shoes ( Heschung pebble grain slip-on driving mocs) [​IMG]

8. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

9. madhatter349

madhatter349 Member

Do you tend to find clothing at estate sales, I've yet to try one?

10. YoungAmerican

YoungAmerican Senior member Dubiously Honored

Do you tend to find clothing at estate sales, I've yet to try one?

I do a lot of estate sale shopping, and have had a few great scores. Generally, you'll find that women outlive men, so there are much more likely to be women's vintage clothes than men's. Also, most men dress horribly, especially in their retirement. Keep an eye peeled, though, for listings advertising quality men's clothing.

11. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

Holy cow, nice!

Interested in letting any of those Oxxford HANGERS go? [​IMG] What size is the Fray shirt and, just for kicks, the Brioni tshirt?

My day... oh, my day! LOL!

First off, found this Charvet shirt at Goodwill - I kept telling myself "there has GOT to be something else in this store!" ... and yeah, it was a pair of Pal Zileri pants. Ended up leaving them because the tag was all but cut off (though it was possible to make out that they were an Italian 52), they were pleated and they weren't a super number or anything so I was afraid of getting stuck with them. Didn't leave the Charvet, though, even with chest monogrammed initials! Cool thing with this shirt: it had darts put in the back of the shirt to slim it up in the bottom torso. Interesting touch.

Apologies for the crappy camera... there's something on the lens, I realized only when uploading these. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

That wasn't the biggest score of late, though... finally I get to do a Xenos-style post! [​IMG] Of the discount-store variety, not a true thrift, unfortunately, but still, these are all firmly going in my personal closet. Credit for a couple of these goes to my sister, who got some for me last night before I got more today. [​IMG]

Starting off with a couple of super-recent selvedge Zegnas...

[​IMG]

Moving on to a cotton RLPL, a lined-six-fold RLPL in an interestingly textured silk, and a classic navy foulard with white dots...

[​IMG]

And finishing off with...

[​IMG]

the first Tom Ford I've ever seen, and the first stitch of Kiton I've seen in any bricks-&-mortar store! [​IMG]

For once, I feel almost... entitled... to post pics. [​IMG]

12. CarlSpackler27

CarlSpackler27 Active Member

White T-shirts (Brioni, Prada)

[​IMG]

What is the MSRP on these bad boys? [​IMG]

13. csoukoulis

csoukoulis Senior member

Calling dibs on those hangers for TheWGP if theyre the wide shouldered ones! I know hes been looking for them.

EDIT: he beat me here

What size is that Fray shirt?

14. cpmac7

cpmac7 Senior member

Nataku, is Grady Newman someone famous? Serious Question...

15. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

^^ Fray is a 15 1/2. I was hoping it'd be a 16 1/2 or 17 so I could add another Fray to my closet.

Interested in letting any of those Oxxford HANGERS go? [​IMG] What size is the Fray shirt and, just for kicks, the Brioni tshirt?

Haha, I knew you'd ask! They are all up for grabs, but I'd like to keep the one to sell with the suit. So, essentially four are for sale.

Also, WOW! Awesome haul today! [​IMG]

What is the MSRP on these bad boys? [​IMG]

Makes my head spin just thinking about it. I'd guess at least $100-$125 for both. Man, I didn't even know Brioni made plain white t-shirts!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.