Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. feastmaster

feastmaster Active Member

2 ties for a grand total of $1. I'm not sure about the Lanvin tie. Is it real or just licensed?

The sport coat isn't a thrift, but my father's. It doesn't fit him anymore. Is it too dated to wear today? It's a Valentino Uomo from Boyd's in Philadelphia.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. SimonC

SimonC Senior member

I think the S/C could be accessorized nicely and look good, but to me it has a combination of a boring fabric and slightly dated cut that means I'd not buy it even if I found it in a thrift in my size.

Today's only pickup, hand-rolled translucent cotton pocket square by Krier. Mostly yellow with a blue check pattern in the centre and this at the edge:

[​IMG]

3. Hornswaggler

Hornswaggler Well-Known Member

Made a quick stop at my by the pound place over lunch.

The MC was generally pretty weak, but I did pull down another pound and a half of ties (a really nice Charles Tyrwhitt that was NWOT, a couple BB repp ties, a Christian Dior that was pretty solid, a couple others I'm not remembering now that were nonetheless worthwhile), a pair of BR cotton pants that are likely to fit pretty well, and a pair of 7 of All Mankind jeans in my girlfriend's size.

Not bad for 20 minutes of thrifting. There was a Sulka that looked good until I flipped it over and found a huge green stain (wtf? ectoplasm?).

4. 951socal

951socal Senior member

2 ties for a grand total of $1. I'm not sure about the Lanvin tie. Is it real or just licensed?

The sport coat isn't a thrift, but my father's. It doesn't fit him anymore. Is it too dated to wear today? It's a Valentino Uomo from Boyd's in Philadelphia.

pretty sure the lanvin tie is licensed, someone once stated that the current lanvin label has a sailboat on it,

but its actually a stylized image of a mother dancing with her daughter (nod to the inception of lanvin's fashion house)
    oh and its blue

5. Mannix

Mannix Senior member

[​IMG]
    Vintage Samsonite suitcase.

6. gauche.story

gauche.story Senior member

I am about to hit up 3 GW and a Salvation Army. So stoked.

7. justinsmnz

justinsmnz Senior member

[​IMG]

8. csoukoulis

csoukoulis Senior member

Found a parts bike for a BMX bike im restoring, and a pair of Sperrys in my size (13)

9. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor

Please post your findings

10. Tyrone MacStiophain

Tyrone MacStiophain Senior member

Been ignoring the thrift shops and this thread for a bit, but I picked up some stuff recently. First stop, an Estate sale where I got:

a great pair of Red Wing Irish Setter boots, size 11.5 EE, with a fuzzy red (wool?) lining. They're too big for me, so PM if interested. They're in great shape!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Also got these brushes that I assumed were shoe polish brushes, but they're a bit stiff so I'm not sure. One has a wood handle, the other leather. They don't really smell like shoe polish, because they're saturated in Old Man Smell (tm). [​IMG] Maybe clothes brushes? Anyone have an idea?
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Then today I got these Filson boots - the "Plains" model, I believe. There's a hole punched through one of the tongues, probably because they're discontinued. I got a great deal because they had white stuff that looked like paint on them (you can see in the pics) but I just scrubbed it all off easily with a damp brush. A bit snug on me - size 8.5, and I wear a 9.5, which is too bad, because the leather lining feels luxurious even without socks. PM if interested.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Then there was a ton of Zegna stuff that I had to pass up (more of that on a post to follow), but I did take home this nice Zegna mohair/wool/linen number in great shape but for a couple of wrinkles that I think will fall out.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Felt good to get some good stuff after a dry spell! [​IMG]

11. Tyrone MacStiophain

Tyrone MacStiophain Senior member

So someone with decent taste either died or just passed on a bunch of stuff to my nearest GW. Zegna, HF bespoke, Thomas Pink, and I'd never seen a Gieves and Hawkes suit before today. Unfortunately it was all size 42, and I'm a 40, so all I got was the tie listed above. But I took pix of the stuff I passed on, in case anyone here wants it. The suits were all $40-$50, and some of them had damage, so I didn't bother. But here's the other stuff. Let me know if you want, and I'm happy to send it to you for cost + shipping. I think you can see the price tags for the shirts in the pix.

Zegna tattersall shirt, size 17 neck.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Zegna striped shirt, size 17 neck.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Thomas Pink tattersall, size 16.5 neck.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    All the shirts had seen some starch, but they were still in good shape.

And these ties. The Robert Talbot BOC has nothing wrong, I just wasn't sure about the color. The Canali looks like someone tried to rub off a stain right about where the knot goes. The Zegna has a faint stain on the skinny end. I think they're all around $8.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I *hate* to see good stuff that either doesn't fit or wasn't cared for! But I guess that's why it's at the goodwill.

12. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor

^ i hate the holes their tags make. almost as bad as seeing stuff stapled on

13. Navi

Navi Senior member

Do Robert Graham shirts really sell for $100 like eBay is leading me to believe..? That seems completely ridiculous taking into account how ugly most of their shirts are.

Saw a button up of theirs today, small, with diagonal stripes... I hid it way in the back so I could google it when I got home, guess I'll be going back tomorrow to pick it up.

14. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

] [​IMG]

...............................[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.