• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mistermidwester

Reaction score
Nothing mind-blowing, but I did find some interesting ties for cheap yesterday. From left to right, top to bottom... Brooks Brothers, Zegna x 4, Brioni (my first one!), Robert Talbott Studio.
ties1.jpg
ties2.jpg
I'm going to be ditching everything but the Brooks Bros, so if anyone sees anything they're interested in, PM me. I'm also totally down for trades/partial trades/etc. I'm looking for summer jackets in my size, esp a seersucker jacket (and it needn't be uber high-end, a Lands End number would do, thankyouverymuch).

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mistermidwester
Nothing mind-blowing, but I did find some interesting ties for cheap yesterday. From left to right, top to bottom... Brooks Brothers, Zegna x 4, Brioni (my first one!), Robert Talbott Studio.
ties1.jpg
ties2.jpg

I'm going to be ditching everything but the Brooks Bros, so if anyone sees anything they're interested in, PM me. I'm also totally down for trades/partial trades/etc. I'm looking for summer jackets in my size, esp a seersucker jacket (and it needn't be uber high-end, a Lands End number would do, thankyouverymuch).

Keep the first Zenga (Tie #2) as well. Tie #4 is a maybe but I can't quite tell the color from the pic.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wonder if we could just start a summer jacket trading thread in B&S, similar to what they do with jeans on SW&D. Finding these with some regularity has left me in the weird position of wanting one, but never actually buying new.
laugh.gif

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm going to be ditching everything but the Brooks Bros,
Good call. Geometric ties and square toe shoes were the two of the worst things to come out of the 90s.

LooknGr8

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Ill quadruple your money on the Marinella if you want to get it for me.

Thanks for the offer Spoo, I'm keeping it & wearing it to a medical conference tomorrow.

Just don't see a lot of others finding these in this thread...wanted to validate. The odd thing was, I found it at the least likely thrift store on my circuit, a strip-mall "commercial" type place (as opposed to church thrift/Salvation Army type place).

I did find another killer store this weekend where the Dartmouth people donate...can't wait to hit that one again...but it's a drive. That place is truly in the boonies.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
soDsk.jpg

Excerpt from the forthcoming THE TIES THAT BIND: SEVEN DAYS OF THRIFTING, VOLUME FIVE, Random House/n00bizor, 2011

colgate.gif

SartorialConductor

Reaction score
Came home with this today but most aren't in my size, just in it for fun. I couldn't believe I found anything in Dayton, Ohio! Two BB 1818 suits, the pinstripe still had the tag in the pocket. The pindot has a Loro Pianna label. Both 44L A mytailor.com custom shirt that I shouldn't have picked up as upon closer inspection it's huge! And a sweet Paul Frederick in my size(I'm a sucker for purple.) Woohoo! I love this new hobby. Sent from iPhone

csoukoulis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SartorialConductor
Came home with this today but most aren't in my size, just in it for fun. I couldn't believe I found anything in Dayton, Ohio!

Two BB 1818 suits, the pinstripe still had the tag in the pocket. The pindot has a Loro Pianna label. Both 44L

Interested in measurements on these. Interested in any trades?

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not much luck in the thrifts of late, but I had some luck at estate sales this weekend. A pair of Tod's loafers and a Topyed and worn once pair of Mezlan chukka boots, both in my size. And this...

photo.jpg

...a Nuovo Simonelli Ellimatic espresso machine. An identical machine finished at $260 on eBay tonight, but if I can figure out how it works (no manuals), I'm going to keep it as I fear my much loved and much used Starbucks Barista is going to give out on me any day now. $35 for the Elli.

mistermidwester

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tonylumpkin
photo.jpg

...a Nuovo Simonelli Ellimatic espresso machine. An identical machine finished at $260 on eBay tonight, but if I can figure out how it works (no manuals), I'm going to keep it as I fear my much loved and much used Starbucks Barista is going to give out on me any day now. $35 for the Elli.

Behold the power of my google-fu.
teacha.gif
Hope it works for you!

SartorialConductor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by csoukoulis
Interested in measurements on these. Interested in any trades?
Tried pm but my phone was being weird about it. Both are Shoulder 20 Chest 46 Waist 44 Sleeve 25 the pindot is 24.75 Boc 32 Pants are a 39.5 waist. Might trade but I'm getting married and cash would keep her from sweating my thrift addiction
wink.gif
Sent from iPhone

JonTurner

Reaction score
I just joined the forum to express my appreciation for this thread (it captures my addiction pretty accurately)- I spent far too long last night idly browsing it, saying "oooh" a lot (and occasionally "urghhhh"). Keep up the awesome thriftery, yeah?

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tonylumpkin
Not much luck in the thrifts of late, but I had some luck at estate sales this weekend. A pair of Tod's loafers and a Topyed and worn once pair of Mezlan chukka boots, both in my size. And this...

photo.jpg

Behold the power of my google-fu.
teacha.gif
Hope it works for you!

I had found the schematic, it's the operating manual I'd lIke to get my hands on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads