1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. antirabbit

antirabbit Senior member

Today was much fun!
    I could care less about what we found, it was all about spending time with two great guys from here!!!

I highly encourage thrifters from here to have outings....We will do it again in a few weeks.

I did find a basic white Balassandri shirt, first time ever seeing one of these. It has amazing MOP buttons, very well made, and all the details I get excited about (except tons of handwork). 1/2 off black friday even at the thrift stores!.
    Its so much fun to hit a store knowing the other two you are with are skilled and will not let anything go through the cracks. I felt like we were lions on the savanna hunting....you can really be effectively fast with three dudes.
    I wish I had more time today.
    Nataku has so much knowledge about the most obscure things (picnic baskets!!). It was a great opportunity to really put our abilities together and rock the Goodwill/Salvation Army stores (which are insanely nice here in the twin cities).

Thanks again both of you for a wonderful outing!

2. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

I was thinking the same thing actually. I would think some of the guys in Cali or Texas or those bigger cities would be all over this.

I really learned a lot thrifting with you two. I am still new at this, so it is nice to get some pointers from the pros.

3. floors to go

floors to go Senior member

With all the tweed talk, I've been paying more attention to them. Tonight I found a Dege and Sons green tweed jacket in what looks to be a 36. Pics to follow.

4. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

Here are the pictures I mentioned before.

Here's the samuelsohn blue chalkstripe three piece. Size 44 R/Lish. I think I will be keeping this.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is the Corneliani ID from antirabbit. The full body shot didn't upload for some reason :eh:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Neiman Marcus 100% cashmere. Nataku snagged this right before the flippers :fistbump:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Navy flannel pants. Thank you anti!

[​IMG]

Light blue linen pants from anti

[​IMG]

John Varvatos olive cords - 36 button up fly - These don't fit me, anyone want them at my cost?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ties - first is a patchwork from robert talbott (thanks anti!) second is a peter millar seven fold that anti found in a store :)

[​IMG]

5. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

+1. Had a great time with both Achilles and Antirabbit today. It's fun to share a hobby and have someone to talk to about it in person who actually cares! Time spent together just chatting and sharing knowledge - priceless! Can't wait to do it again, and I wish you both safe travels home!

Here's a brief rundown of my finds. My photos suck, but oh well.

1st stop: Nada

2nd stop: Nada. Achilles got a gorgeous 7-fold tie.

3rd stop: Antirabbit found me a super cool "pleated" (not sure how else to describe it) tie by Stefano Ricci. Thanks again! :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4th stop: Nada for me. Antirabbit found the second ever Baldessarini item I've ever seen. Nice staple white dress shirt with super thick MOP buttons and Achilles got a really nice blue/white stripe Martin & Osa shirt with gorgeous MOP buttons.

5th Stop (return to the 2nd stop): - Pink Cotton trousers by Liberty Rose. Amazing Mother of Pearl buttons, cinch back and split curtain waistband. Italian 52. I could never pull these off, but if someone wants them, they're up for grabs.
    - Rogues Gallery Cotton Terry polo shirt.
    - Inhabit Cashmere turtleneck sweater. XL
    - Martin Margiela moleskin trousers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Went to a couple more spots and had lunch. Went back to the 2nd stop and Achilles went on his way. Had a feeling there was more at this store so I hung around for another hour. Got the following:

- RLPL seafoam polo shirt. XXL (up for grabs)
    - Cashmere & Silk (name of the label and the fabric content) black henley t-shirt. Never heard of this label, but it is really nice and is a great basic.
    - AWESOME Duluth Pack duffel/travel bag. Smaller size. Green canvas w/ leather.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Decided it was time to head home. Looked like there was more good stuff being put out, though. Passed on a pair of Shell Allen Edmonds. Forgot the model, started with a "B". They wanted $9.99 for them and they didn't look all that nice even though the soles weren't worn badly.

Yeah, the flippers at this particular store are absolutely ridiculous. I went back in after Achilles left and the notorious "Glasses Lady" was there. A new arrivals cart rolled out and I snagged the Duluth Pack bag from the bottom bin. She was digging around on top. She sees what I grabbed and huffed about it for a minute. Then she goes up to a store worker and says "Hey, could you tell me if you have anymore bags in the back? I'm looking for a nice, small travel bag". I'm thinking "Oh geez, here we go...". She then says " you know, I found a REALLY nice one yesterday. A like new black leather TUMI bag. $6.99." as loud as possible so I can hear. I just roll my eyes and smile as I walk away. Some people.....

Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  6. woolnotmutton

woolnotmutton Senior member

lol.. with 3 of you hitting the shops at the same time, you can make quick works of thrift stores...

Just imagine you 3 in a big city like NYC or LA or something... lol

very cool finds Nat, that Ricci tie is awesome (anti).

7. mainy

mainy Senior member

Lol that's it, I'm driving to the twin cities after the new year to check it out. This sounds ridiculous and like a lot of fun :slayer:

8. antirabbit

antirabbit Senior member

So, next time, we will take pics while we thrift.
    But seriously, it was crazy fun!!!!

Nice picks on the latter stops guys!!!!

9. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Dang! I brought my camera too but forgot it in the car! Next time....

Mainy - if you decide to head up, let me know. I'll show ya around town. Maybe we can plan another GTG.

I stopped at a thrift on the way home from my parent's house and picked up a pair of flat front Bills Khakis. M2 model. Green. 38 waist with like a 35" inseam. Open to trades/offers.

10. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

I am now kicking myself for leaving those shell AEs behind. :brick:

11. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

Dibs ;)

What colour/size were they?

12. mainy

mainy Senior member

Even shell AE's that are ugly are worth like 70 80 bucks! Come on man, now the crazy lady is selling them on ebay :fu: hahaha

13. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

^^ Haha wouldn't doubt it!

Sent ya a PM already. They were burdandy split toe lace ups. Looked like 11-11.5 to me but didn't check. :brick:

They're probably still there as the Allen Edmonds logo was a bit worn out on the inside heel so if you looked at first glance it'd look like a pair of no-name shoes.
    . Everyone goes for the Louboutins and Coach shoes.

14. Cedric

Cedric Senior member

Went to a thrift store yesterday, saw about 4-5 Samuelsohn jackets, various shades of gray and one navy, all in great condition.
    2 buttons, center vented, sz 40-42 , $9.99 each,
    I wasnt interested, left it there, may still be there

15. woolnotmutton

woolnotmutton Senior member

16. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  17. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

I saw a size 48 samuelsohn three piece suit go for $299 on ebay. I think the newer, smaller lapel samuelsohn would sell (depending on the pattern)

18. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

Thank you!

19. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

^^ Good luck! Hope you snag em!

Yup, that's right.

[​IMG]

20. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Well...shit. Reading up here has me worried that my Coogi is a fake: http://reviews.ebay.com/Fake-COOGI-Sewaters?ugid=10000000004600607. Look at the label section...they seem unequivocal that the letter coloring, position of the size info, and the content listing are always the way described. :-(. Anyone else at all familiar with Coogi sweaters care to chime in, or does it look like I got hosed?

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.