1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

Finally found two nice Paul Stuart SC (pants might have been there also but didnt look) in my size, 36S today at the SA, but of course they were beat to crap and had tons of moth holes....

2. Cotton Dockers

Cotton Dockers Senior member

Hello All,

Longtime lurker, first time poster. I really enjoy this thread and seeing what all you crazy kids pick up, and I've learned a lot along the way. I apologize in advance for the UFO-sighting like quality of these photos.

Found my first Kiton today:

[​IMG]

In continuing the topic of higher thrift store prices, this bad boy was $30.00.
    [​IMG]

Navy windowpane, ticket pocket, surgeon's cuffs, etc.

Unfortunately...

[​IMG]

Looks like there's a matching pair of pants somewhere out there. I searched through the men's, the women's, children's, everything. No match. But this thing fits like a glove and I think the windowpane will allow me to wear it as a sportcoat.

I normally don't purchase things out of my size, but I know there are some fellows bigger than me on this thread and these two PRL Made in Italy sportcoats were too nice to leave behind (both 44 L)

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Both are in very good condition and have horn buttons, ticket pockets and double vents.

First one is a brown glen plaid with a red and green overcheck. 100% silk.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Second is 50/50 Cotton and Cashmere. White & Light Grey/Brown. Very soft.

[​IMG][​IMG]

And one for Mr. Spoo, if he is so inclined to take the case:

[​IMG]

No idea if this is a vest or part of a suit, if it's real or fake, or if it's for a man or a woman (the buttons (satin? covered) are on the left)

[​IMG][​IMG]

Interesting trades considered!

3. robbie

robbie Senior member

[​IMG]

I found these cuff-links today. They look to be some type of cast metal.

Also, a shameless plug for a new Tumblr i started.

4. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Senior member

pretty good day today:

brioni silk/wool sport jacket with surgeon cuffs
    mint southwick 2 btn suit

5. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

I'd pay $30 all day and then some for that.

6. MattR

MattR Senior member

Welcome to the forum!

And that's a great way to kick off, too. Like Jkidd said, at $30, totally worth it. It's downright gorgeous. :slayer:

7. Manofstyle85

Manofstyle85 Senior member

Huh?????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Manofstyle85

Manofstyle85 Senior member

Hey, just wondering. What are the chances of getting quality items (like those discuss on SF, etc..) when buying by the Kilo? Do you get quality stuff from this guy?

9. goneAWOL

goneAWOL Senior member

Nice Cotton Dockers!

Calling Nataku, or anyone else [​IMG]. I was hoping to get some info on this. I assume its not as great as the Polo RL, but is there anything special/rare about it?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. woolnotmutton

woolnotmutton Senior member

Still pretty cool, I would watch out for those scammers.

Pretty sweet lot for the 1st post..

11. csoukoulis

csoukoulis Senior member

Cotton dockers: I may be interested in the plaid 44r sport coat if you're interested in getting rid of it.

12. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

I've found a couple recent Brioni Super 150's suits. They feel absolutely amazing. Sadly they've both found new homes. I really regret selling one of them. :(

I found a Super 150s Belvest too. Gorgeous suit with MOP buttons. I think Antirabbit ended up with that one.

Nice finds! I'd keep vising that store to see if the pants for that Kiton make their way out. You never know.Does it have a thift store tag that you can judge the time it was put out (dated, color coded, etc). That way you could tell if it was sitting there forever or not to figure out your chances in finding the pants.

I'm pretty sure any Polo (regardless of the Polo line) sweater with a large bear knit into the sweater has a good amount of value to it. I think you could get at least $100-$150 for it. Nice find, but be careful selling it. ;)

Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  13. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

From what I've seen on the 'bay, any 90s era vintage RL bear knit sweaters sell like hotcakes, though the price range varies (from lows in the high $100s to highs in the $1500s (!!!), that still doesn't hurt at all), so you should be good. Anyone feel free to correct me if this is wrong.

14. Cedric

Cedric Senior member

^ Not just anything with a bear, i cannot value this one as it is Polo sport.
    I honestly find it odd that has the polo sport tag, looks completely authentic.
    Give it a try on ebay

15. mainy

mainy Senior member

yeah that polo bear sweater is worth a lot of money. Here's what I learned selling mine: Set a buy it now price, set it really high, like $500-800. Make it INSTANT PAYMENT REQUIRED/ CONFIRMED ADDRESS REQUIRED. Make it a 3-5 day listing. If it doesn't sell at that price, reduce it 10%, relist it until somebody buys it. You want to make it instant payment required because 99% of the people bidding on these things never pay for them, or if they do, they don't have a confirmed address or some other sort of fraud.

And whatever you do, DON'T SELL IT OFF EBAY. If somebody messages you on Ebay with an offer, and wants to buy it off ebay, tell them to send you a postal money order or to kiss your ass.

16. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Truth! I learned this the hard way! :brick:

17. antirabbit

antirabbit Senior member

Soooo excited to do an epic day of thrifting in MN....on the way up, I hit the North Face outlet got a $400.00 Heathen shell for $39.00 and a 3 in one jacket that is normally $380.00 also for $39.00. Pretty happy with those.

18. Cotton Dockers

Cotton Dockers Senior member

Found some Alden full-strap tassel loafers a few months ago but I just can't make them work for me. Size 10, fit more like a 10.5, good condition. Willing to trade for an 11 of comparable quality (doesn't have to be tassel or a loafer at all).

[​IMG]

These do look like they have been resoled once.

Happy Turkey Day (yes, I'm doing this five minutes before we eat. I have problems).

19. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Dude, seriously. Screw Black Friday. I'll be having a multicolored pinstripe and/or windowpane, navy blue, and charcoal grey Friday of my own, hopefully!!

20. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Real, from about 1995. However, I can't see much more than that from the pics... Its not so interesting, you might only wind up with $25 or so on the bay.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.