• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
...those soft lenses scratch easily so I tend to find more frames than clean lenses.

I was wondering if you guys ever put any major effort into cleaning up or restoring old frames. I got to visit this place called Retro Specs recently, and I was amazed at what could be done. They’re an outfit with a network of pickers who find old glasses, and then completely take apart, wash, “sand”, I guess, and sometimes rebuild them from various parts, to the point where 30-70 year old frames can look somehow better than new. They apparently invented unique machines devoted to this, but I was thinking of trying a poor man’s version based on YouTube tutorials (toothpaste for the lenses!).

Anyway, if anyone ever visits LA or Las Vegas, I think you’d enjoy stopping by. They had everything. I was like, Hey, do you have those Cazals worn by Run DMC? And they were like, Bam — try these on. Porsche Design as seen on Miami Vice? Right over here. My wife started tugging on my arm after I said, Hunter S. Thompson?, and they slid open a cool secret case with various Ray Ban shooting glasses from the 70s. Probably the coolest store I’ve ever seen.

Of course, I recognized most of the stuff from this thread. :fistbump:

eddiegreen

Reaction score
OB Swimmers
7F82C9CE-99D3-45E3-9F77-6F94A0E41375.jpeg

OB Linen
Can’t keep shorts of that length as they would make me look too sexy
7A626122-E7A2-413E-959F-2200B8882B6E.jpeg

9D817A61-950A-4458-8150-1822457F503A.jpeg

Wmns Russell&Bromley Unworn for half a pizza
1B05F7A4-00E2-4645-8377-715B69848D3B.jpeg

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if you guys ever put any major effort into cleaning up or restoring old frames. I got to visit this place called Retro Specs recently, and I was amazed at what could be done. They’re an outfit with a network of pickers who find old glasses, and then completely take apart, wash, “sand”, I guess, and sometimes rebuild them from various parts, to the point where 30-70 year old frames can look somehow better than new. They apparently invented unique machines devoted to this, but I was thinking of trying a poor man’s version based on YouTube tutorials (toothpaste for the lenses!).

Anyway, if anyone ever visits LA or Las Vegas, I think you’d enjoy stopping by. They had everything. I was like, Hey, do you have those Cazals worn by Run DMC? And they were like, Bam — try these on. Porsche Design as seen on Miami Vice? Right over here. My wife started tugging on my arm after I said, Hunter S. Thompson?, and they slid open a cool secret case with various Ray Ban shooting glasses from the 70s. Probably the coolest store I’ve ever seen.

So I do this with fine scratches on watch crystals that aren't Sapphire and headlights: toothpaste

Buffs small scratches out. I haven't tried it on sunglasses but if you feel daring yolo

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
So I do this with fine scratches on watch crystals that aren't Sapphire and headlights: toothpaste

Buffs small scratches out. I haven't tried it on sunglasses but if you feel daring yolo

However, Toothpaste can be heavily abrasive. it's pretty nasty stuff.

If you want a real possibility of success, go to your auto parts store.
and get a "Headlight restoration kit" for about $8.
it will have 3 compounds in it, with a specialty cloth and a small foam block.
wrap the cloth around the foam block, apply some of the softest micro compound. and buff in small circles, both to apply, and to remove. then do the same, horizontally,vertically,and diagonally, like the British flag.
Then a clean cloth.

still scratches? start again with the 2nd compound, then repeat with the lightest compound. then a flannel cloth, and a glasses cloth.
finish by hand washing with bottled water.
Allow to dry. and clean as you would regular glasses. with regular glasses cleaner.

you should not need to use the heavy compound, but you could use what's left of the kit to do your headlights. :fonz:

Centaurus3200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll check them out next time I'm in LA. I have a pair of Tart Optical FDR with shrinkage on the arms. Wonder if they have any tricks for that. Doubtful though.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
he's still not wearing socks.

Bon Vivant Life

Reaction score
Military guys, what is this? Leather pea coat type, buttons on front have been replaced. View attachment 1205479 View attachment 1205480 View attachment 1205481
I thinks it's German Navy (kriegsmarine),possibly wartime

https://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348439
Similar to a German U boat jacket, missing slant pockets. It looks badass, need better pics when you get it home.
It is I think ,not sure if it's U Boat or just warship but a RBN number is definitely German militarym
The 0 is made in Germany,the next four numbers are a code for the region it was made in and the next 4 is the factory itself .
I can post it for you and see what they say

sadly not mine, was helping someone at bins try to identify age and possible value

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads