• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JohnAAG

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
God, Ally McBeal was trash

and just like that, you put a hex on yourself to never find any Alden Indy boots.
harrison-ford-calista-flockhart-2.jpg

Send me a cool leather jacket as penance. I really don't see any other way forward for you or @capnwes ...

Sorry guys, but I don't make the rules ...

Tonypi7

Reaction score
Does everyone have a "pattern" when they go into a store? I usually do shoes first then ill hit the suit rack. I think generally that gives you a good idea if there'll be anything else worthwhile in the store.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does everyone have a "pattern" when they go into a store? I usually do shoes first then ill hit the suit rack. I think generally that gives you a good idea if there'll be anything else worthwhile in the store.

Spends on the store. But I usually the shirts, trousers, suits and jackets then shoes. Accessories are dotted around.

Sartoriamo

Reaction score

Shoes
Outerwear
Suits/SCs
Ties
Luggage/accessories
Random stuff (audio etc)

Years ago I did it completely differently, because I was looking for stuff for myself (and was also in New England), but here in the west it's 100% margin driven. I don't spend any time on shirts, pants, jeans, t-shirts etc. as I haven't been able to justify the time spent vs $$ yield (in my area: yours may be different).

Exceptions, of course, are in "pre-curated" stores, either tiny single-charity thrifts or consignment places, where I go through everything (because it doesn't take long). I try to hit the most stores in the shortest amount of time and cherry pick. There's not enough inventory "depth" in the stores out here (unlike NY, Boston, Chicago etc and surrounds) to justify deep explorations of large "processor" stores, like GW/Savers. Now and again, you realize you've hit a mother lode, and need to take whatever time is needed, but that's rare. I try to keep to 20 minutes per store, but stay as long as it takes to clean out a mini-thriftening.

If I'm trying to find vintage Ts or jeans, I look for those at estate sales, preferable in rural areas. Recently expired biker/rockers always have good stuff.

YMMV, as always!!

ORLThrifter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I get the most joy thrifting for myself or friends, so it usually depends on what item I'm looking for. Lately, outerwear has taken precedence.

If someone with the same build/approximate size is also in the store, I look at everything...at the same time...in seconds. :fence:

Tonypi7

Reaction score
Shoes
Outerwear
Suits/SCs
Ties
Luggage/accessories
Random stuff (audio etc)

When you go through Outerwear and Suits; are you touching everything? (twss) or are you just browsing and stopping at things that catch your eye?

leisurewear

Reaction score
When you go through Outerwear and Suits; are you touching everything? (twss) or are you just browsing and stopping at things that catch your eye?

after a while you recognize 70%+ of the neck tags on suits and that + feeling the fabric makes it faster / more worthwhile for me to go through everything than try to cherry pick. there's not enough outerwear down south to cherry pick. even at the bigger stores it's 1-2 minutes to go through all of them

Tonypi7

Reaction score
after a while you recognize 70%+ of the neck tags on suits and that + feeling the fabric makes it faster / more worthwhile for me to go through everything than try to cherry pick. there's not enough outerwear down south to cherry pick. even at the bigger stores it's 1-2 minutes to go through all of them

Thats exactly what i do.

Its a little bit harder with shirts. I usually just browse and if something catches my eye ill take a look at it.

Sartoriamo

Reaction score

You can always tell the difference between the casual browser and the pro flipper. The casual browser is "attracted" to a particular style or fabric, where a pro just hits it all, fast, one end of the rack to the other, after a quick scan for "special"-looking pieces. Because there are always surprises in both directions: sometimes a "meh"-looking piece turns out to be golden (cf plain gray Kiton), and other times a fantastic-looking piece ends up being junk, especially now that the Chinese are incorporating sartorial lapels, abundant pick stitching, functional cuffs (cf ANY Alan Flusser, and recent Stafford stuff, which can be infuriatingly alluring). I used to look at every label, but now it's "do I want this in my inventory?" followed by a look at the label as a margin indicator (which usually provokes an expletive 98% of the time, and a "yes!" 2% of the time). The more you do it, the quicker it gets. But it's all gotten messed up by SuSu, which mean I now have to look at some China labels. Damn.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

matty long legs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What the ****? I’ve never seen or heard anything about that before. I’ll give my connect at Barbour a quick call in the morning and ask for you. (defo showing off)

Thanks, dude. I was quite perplexed in store but everything about it seems authentic. While I was looking it over Mrs. Milfy Milfowitz who works there chatted my ear off. Petite, blonde, 45+ and smoking hot.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, dude. I was quite perplexed in store but everything about it seems authentic. While I was looking it over Mrs. Milfy Milfowitz who works there chatted my ear off. Petite, blonde, 45+ and smoking hot.

Oh yeah it’s legit, that inner tag don’t lie! Will report back to you while you dream of the milf.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads