• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chickene

Reaction score
Vintage Polo Ralph Lauren hats made in the USA can vary in value and date depending on the specific style and condition. However, in general, Polo Ralph Lauren hats made in the USA were popular in the 1980s and 1990s.

To get an approximate value, you can search for similar hats on online marketplaces such as eBay or Etsy. The condition of the hat, including any signs of wear or damage, can greatly affect its value. Additionally, the rarity of the specific style or colorway can also impact the value.

If you're looking for more detailed information, you could try reaching out to a vintage clothing expert or appraiser. They can help identify the exact style of the hat and give you a more accurate valuation.

Are you posting AI-generated thread responses?

chickene

Reaction score
The American thrift experience is mostly finding a lot of garbage and hanging around rude ppl who smell questionable.

I remember there being a few goodwills in SF when I was there, although the west coast and sf might not be a great location for tailoring because of the weather and how casual the tech industry went. Perhaps you can also try some consignment stores which might have more formal wear.
Be ready to see some people sh*t themselves no lie
I've never seen someone ****, but I have seen literal **** in a changing room.
I recall from my West Coast travel days that there was a decent Goodwill in Santa Monica on one of the main east-west streets. However, I was generally underwhelmed with LA thrifting based on a sample size of maybe 6 trips.
thrifting sf proper can be a pita but can also pay off , i always preferred the convenience of the east bay
I was in Santa Monica for a few days last summer and had an afternoon to hit a few stores.

The Salvation Army was quite good and had lots of stuff (also has a boutique Salvation Army next door): 1658 11th St, Santa Monica, CA 90404

The goodwill in Santa Monica was ok but had some higher end stuff upstairs that was priced up: 524 Santa Monica Blvd, Santa Monica, CA 90401

Then hit up a goodwill in sawtelle which was ok as well: 11726 Santa Monica Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90025

I didn’t have a car so walked to these from our Airbnb in Venice beach and unfortunately didn’t have time to hit anymore (except the last goodwill had a car for our hike the next day so convinced my friend to go.

All in all just came out of these with a Patrick ervell alpaca sweater but pretty comparable to chicago thrifting.
i know people get all worked up when we give up actual addresses... but that goodwill has been decent enough for me when i'm visiting family in LA.

and all you gotta do while near there is search "thrift stores near me". there's a few more around the area ;-)

Thanks for the warnings, and thanks as well for the tips :) I'm still looking forward to the cultural experience – if not the olfactory one.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I lived in SF, I lived in a neighborhood called Polk Gulch, which borders the tenderloin.

Almost weekly, we had projectile diarrhea sprayed on the wall of our building, 10ft away from our door.

We named them the Polk Gulch Shytter.

Let me tell you, there is no better city to be 22.

colorvision

Reaction score
hello friends, I think this is my first post in part III. First time thrifting in a long time was saturday, found a few things at my local goodwill on 39th and western in oklahoma city. Not sure what to think about the upside down tag, but whatever they're for me.

IMG_2135.jpg

I'm a 34 waist now and I'll drink to that later.

IMG_2137.jpg

Not my size but wasn't leaving it there at $7.99

IMG_2136.jpg

My health was poor last december when we had an unusually long and cold winter storm. I keep a rug under my front door as insulation and to keep the bugs out. When I woke up the first morning the north wind had blown it away and there was a 6-8" snow drift indoors. The inside of this window was covered with ice.

IMG_2132.jpg

Now that it's warming up and I'm healthier and preparing to move, I feel like I should take it down, but I kinda like it. When I ran out of blankets to insulate the windows and doors, I started emptying my closet. I've taken some down, but there are still 3 or 4 others, so it's kinda like living in a thrift thread museum. Top left was the first jacked I thrifted, or even owned as an adult. An old Harris tweed from van Boven that I picked up on ask andy. It's covering an epaulet from a trade with spoo. Then tellason, martin greenfield, jc wells i've worn a lot, a sammy i haven't, then a pendleton and a couple real old saks, the coat is probably the nicest thing i've found at true thrift, and would've been what I'd worn if I'd been able to go outside. Also some royal copenhagen at true thrift, and pecans thrifted from sidewalks in the asian district, and some wadded up barbour, rlpl, etc. My front porch is more like a thrift thread time capsule.

IMG_2133.jpg

That looks like it's full of folded clothes, but I have no idea which ones because it's been sealed in my basement since 2017. I suspect it's a combination of things from a year of thrifting in Tulsa before I moved here, and things from the previous 4 or 5 years of thrifting in LA that I didn't consign or keep, which hopefully should include a collection of vintage t shirts that I kept picking up for $1 or less because I like that kinda stuff. Here's one I found looking for that stack, but it's not thrift - I bought this retail to annoy teachers in 1993. The button was thrifted from my late grandmother, an antiques dealer in Iowa.

IMG_2134.jpg

Anyway, when the bugs have had a chance to crawl off of all the stuff on my porch, I'm going to start cleaning it and moving it into storage. If there are any okc folks here, please hit me up if you want to help me open the time capsule. Should be fun, perhaps you could save me the trouble of moving some of stuff, and I'll be grilling chicken today.

Last edited:

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hello friends, I think this is my first post in part III. First time thrifting in a long time was saturday, found a few things at my local goodwill on 39th and western in oklahoma city. Not sure what to think about the upside down tag, but whatever they're for me.

View attachment 1928103

I'm a 34 waist now and I'll drink to that later.

View attachment 1928105

Not my size but wasn't leaving it there at $7.99

View attachment 1928107

My health was poor last december when we had an unusually long and cold winter storm. I keep a rug under my front door as insulation and to keep the bugs out. When I woke up the first morning the north wind had blown it away and there was a 6-8" snow drift indoors. The inside of this window was covered with ice.

View attachment 1928109

Now that it's warming up and I'm healthier and preparing to move, I feel like I should take it down, but I kinda like it. When I ran out of blankets to insulate the windows and doors, I started emptying my closet. I've taken some down, but there are still 3 or 4 others, so it's kinda like living in a thrift thread museum. Top left was the first jacked I thrifted, or even owned as an adult. An old Harris tweed from van Boven that I picked up on ask andy. It's covering an epaulet from a trade with spoo. Then tellason, martin greenfield, jc wells i've worn a lot, a sammy i haven't, then a pendleton and a couple real old saks, the coat is probably the nicest thing i've found at true thrift, and would've been what I'd worn if I'd been able to go outside. Also some royal copenhagen at true thrift, and pecans thrifted from sidewalks in the asian district, and some wadded up barbour, rlpl, etc. My front porch is more like a thrift thread time capsule.

View attachment 1928133

That looks like it's full of folded clothes, but I have no idea which ones because it's been sealed in my basement since 2017. I suspect it's a combination of things from a year of thrifting in Tulsa before I moved here, and things from the previous 4 or 5 years of thrifting in LA that I didn't consign or keep, which hopefully should include a collection of vintage t shirts that I kept picking up for $1 or less because I like that kinda stuff. Here's one I found looking for that stack, but it's not thrift - I bought this retail to annoy teachers in 1993. The button was thrifted from my late grandmother, an antiques dealer in Iowa.

View attachment 1928151

Anyway, when the bugs have had a chance to crawl off of all the stuff on my porch, I'm going to start cleaning it and moving it into storage. If there are any okc folks here, please hit me up if you want to help me open the time capsule. Should be fun, perhaps you could save me the trouble of moving some of stuff, and I'll be grilling chicken today.
RLPL and Barbour you say?
:smarmy:

colorvision

Reaction score
RLPL and Barbour you say?
:smarmy:
Oh I see your wax and tartans youtube, I'm already glad I posted, I'll check that out later. Sadly probably not the barbour you want, the aero on another window might be more suitable for your style. I have lots of RLPL.

IMG_2138.jpg

aero with tartan wool lining would look badass with those ray bans or persols

IMG_2139.jpg

Geranium

Reaction score
I stumbled across the most generous menswear donation I have seen in person in London. There were six pairs of Brunello pants, one Tom Ford, Isaia, and a few pairs of Gucci loafers. All sadly very much priced up. While I was in that store someone stole a pair of boots and the shopkeeper seemed unfazed. Managed to have a Nataku moment and found a discarded set of clothes across the footpath so folded it up and took two hats. Didn’t have quite the stomach to rifle through it with people passing by. Found a nice cashmere Brooks brothers hat. Also walked away with a wool cashmere cotton blend Zegna sweater from another store £8.50. One day I’ll find out at a not so obviously expensive area of town!

Attachments

• 775CBB4E-2186-497F-A02D-52188EB990A5.jpeg
    775CBB4E-2186-497F-A02D-52188EB990A5.jpeg
    385.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 8C649C5E-0788-4ADE-A0FA-44A3B308E397.jpeg
    8C649C5E-0788-4ADE-A0FA-44A3B308E397.jpeg
    227.7 KB · Views: 60
  • 10A87B34-5C25-44A4-804D-C48A923635F6.jpeg
    10A87B34-5C25-44A4-804D-C48A923635F6.jpeg
    212.8 KB · Views: 49
  • 4A775E0B-368A-4396-A430-199F93E5BC0B.jpeg
    4A775E0B-368A-4396-A430-199F93E5BC0B.jpeg
    171.3 KB · Views: 38
  • D24C2358-A853-4429-815E-6008740A658C.jpeg
    D24C2358-A853-4429-815E-6008740A658C.jpeg
    166.9 KB · Views: 35
  • 30072428-8EBE-46A0-BAC0-83A4DCD82B99.jpeg
    30072428-8EBE-46A0-BAC0-83A4DCD82B99.jpeg
    136 KB · Views: 30
  • 50011C3A-B308-49CA-A52E-9CEC13A5E216.jpeg
    50011C3A-B308-49CA-A52E-9CEC13A5E216.jpeg
    113.9 KB · Views: 27
  • D1A2468F-EBBA-4BD5-91CB-AD65D1C15C35.jpeg
    D1A2468F-EBBA-4BD5-91CB-AD65D1C15C35.jpeg
    163.2 KB · Views: 46

Letric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I stumbled across the most generous menswear donation I have seen in person in London... While I was in that store someone stole a pair of boots
Alright which one of you nicked those boots? Lets see em

:rolleyes2:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads