• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sushijerk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PXL_20230327_155711896.jpg
Which one of you guys is getting your Bentley towed from the 23rd st salvation army right now?

Woofa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know I was looking around the other day and thinking what are all the Mercedes doing parked outside goodwill? Times they are a changing.

chickene

Reaction score
I'm traveling to San Francisco this weekend, and next week I'll be down in Santa Monica. Does anyone have a recommendations for thrift spots in either area? Having lurked on this thread for ages, I'm dying for a proper american thrift experience! I'm particularly interested in tailored clothing. Any tips would be very much appreciated :)

sushijerk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm traveling to San Francisco this weekend, and next week I'll be down in Santa Monica. Does anyone have a recommendations for thrift spots in either area? Having lurked on this thread for ages, I'm dying for a proper american thrift experience! I'm particularly interested in tailored clothing. Any tips would be very much appreciated :)
The American thrift experience is mostly finding a lot of garbage and hanging around rude ppl who smell questionable.

I remember there being a few goodwills in SF when I was there, although the west coast and sf might not be a great location for tailoring because of the weather and how casual the tech industry went. Perhaps you can also try some consignment stores which might have more formal wear.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Be ready to see some people sh*t themselves no lie

I've never seen someone ****, but I have seen literal **** in a changing room.

Jackstraw001

Reaction score
I recall from my West Coast travel days that there was a decent Goodwill in Santa Monica on one of the main east-west streets. However, I was generally underwhelmed with LA thrifting based on a sample size of maybe 6 trips.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thrifting sf proper can be a pita but can also pay off , i always preferred the convenience of the east bay

Centaurus3200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
honestly, wherever you're at, just google "thrift stores near me". it's a crap shoot anyway, no matter the claimed "honey holes".

I recall from my West Coast travel days that there was a decent Goodwill in Santa Monica on one of the main east-west streets. However, I was generally underwhelmed with LA thrifting based on a sample size of maybe 6 trips.

speckledstuff

Reaction score
I was in Santa Monica for a few days last summer and had an afternoon to hit a few stores.

The Salvation Army was quite good and had lots of stuff (also has a boutique Salvation Army next door): 1658 11th St, Santa Monica, CA 90404

The goodwill in Santa Monica was ok but had some higher end stuff upstairs that was priced up: 524 Santa Monica Blvd, Santa Monica, CA 90401

Then hit up a goodwill in sawtelle which was ok as well: 11726 Santa Monica Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90025

I didn’t have a car so walked to these from our Airbnb in Venice beach and unfortunately didn’t have time to hit anymore (except the last goodwill had a car for our hike the next day so convinced my friend to go.

All in all just came out of these with a Patrick ervell alpaca sweater but pretty comparable to chicago thrifting.

Centaurus3200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i know people get all worked up when we give up actual addresses... but that goodwill has been decent enough for me when i'm visiting family in LA.

and all you gotta do while near there is search "thrift stores near me". there's a few more around the area ;-)

I was in Santa Monica for a few days last summer and had an afternoon to hit a few stores.

The Salvation Army was quite good and had lots of stuff (also has a boutique Salvation Army next door): 1658 11th St, Santa Monica, CA 90404

The goodwill in Santa Monica was ok but had some higher end stuff upstairs that was priced up: 524 Santa Monica Blvd, Santa Monica, CA 90401

Then hit up a goodwill in sawtelle which was ok as well: 11726 Santa Monica Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90025

I didn’t have a car so walked to these from our Airbnb in Venice beach and unfortunately didn’t have time to hit anymore (except the last goodwill had a car for our hike the next day so convinced my friend to go.

All in all just came out of these with a Patrick ervell alpaca sweater but pretty comparable to chicago thrifting.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics