• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

impuntura

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last weekend I stopped at a flea market. I made about 6 or 7 rounds through the market; each time noticing a small, toy-looking diver watch on a table. On my last lap, I finally stopped and looked closely at it. It was a cheap looking ladies' diver on a plastic Speidel strap. The dial said 'Heuer,' so I was sure it was a fake. A little girl, about 4 or 5, was staffing the table with her mother. "Um, the watch is $3," she told me. I couldn't say no to her sales pitch so I forked over the cash and headed home.
View attachment 1926221

When I got home, I did some research. As it turns out, I stumbled upon a genuine Heuer, known in collector circles as the "Bo Derek" because it is what she wore in the famous movie "10." (Picture edited so my account doesn't get nuked from orbit.)
View attachment 1926223
Very cool.
Two of my favorite brands .
Heuer and Bo.

impuntura

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was looking at this exact same jacket a day before at local store here that had it on deep discount .
Even at 40 percent off I just couldn't pull the trigger ,next day I walk in and find one in the color and size I was looking for .
20230325_154007.jpg
20230325_154013.jpg
20230325_154013.jpg
20230325_154020.jpg

LaundryRoom

Reaction score
A few recent finds...

Montauk polo (sold)

TS.png

Sitka Gear "Camp Hoody"

s-l1600.png

"Riot Raw Denim" pants
Kuhl  Riot.png

Found these next two in the wimminz section.

"Burr Jacket"

K Burr.png

"Generatr Jacket" shacket

K generatr.png

I never pick up JAB, but couldn't leave this tartan plaid 100% cotton coat for $5.99

JAB.png

And those three ties I recently posted sold the same day, all to the same buyer...

ties.jpg

Jackstraw001

Reaction score
Okay, crazy thrift story. I was cleaning out a dresser this afternoon and found a pair of new Under Armor gloves I bought a couple years ago at GW that I’d forgotten about. I tried them on but couldn't get one of them all the way on because something was stuffed into one of the fingers.
View attachment 1899315 View attachment 1899317

So this ring had been hiding in the finger of this glove in my dresser for the past couple years. Had no idea it was there nor how it got there as it’s not mine or my wife‘s. Pretty sure it’s legit though no markings, will update you all as we confirm.
View attachment 1899319 View attachment 1899321

UPDATE: You might recall I posted about a ring I recently found in a pair of thrifted gloves I bought a few years ago. I just got the appraisal back. 14k gold and 1 carat diamond of marginal quality. Mrs. J has claimed it and is getting it resized. Crazy find.

Appraisal(1)_001.jpg

vestbash

Reaction score
Even for a replacement value, that seems quite high, no?

UPDATE: You might recall I posted about a ring I recently found in a pair of thrifted gloves I bought a few years ago. I just got the appraisal back. 14k gold and 1 carat diamond of marginal quality. Mrs. J has claimed it and is getting it resized. Crazy find.

View attachment 1926461

Letric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
36R.

Wasn't there some kind of thing during WW2 times when enlisting / drafting men.. Smaller framed guys were sought after for certain mechanical/pilot positions, weren't they? Like a plane mechanic who needed to crawl up inside the belly of the frame of a B52, or tank engineers? Feel like I read that somewhere in a book.

Letric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I'd say that's a pretty spot on appraisal. I may or may not have been looking at diamond rings recently and that's what a good 1ct stone set in gold would run you.

The main thing with diamond values these days is Natural "Earth Mined" Diamonds vs Lab Grown. A nice 1ct natural earth mined stone may run you $4-5K, whereas the same size lab grown will be about $2K.

So if you're used to seeing lab grown prices at jewelry stores the price of earth mined stones may be a little shocking. These days lab grown are everywhere and earth mined diamonds are a much smaller market.

Zerase

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
36R.

Wasn't there some kind of thing during WW2 times when enlisting / drafting men.. Smaller framed guys were sought after for certain mechanical/pilot positions, weren't they? Like a plane mechanic who needed to crawl up inside the belly of the frame of a B52, or tank engineers? Feel like I read that somewhere in a book.
People were also a lot smaller 80 years ago.

vestbash

Reaction score
^ I'd say that's a pretty spot on appraisal. I may or may not have been looking at diamond rings recently and that's what a good 1ct stone set in gold would run you.

The main thing with diamond values these days is Natural "Earth Mined" Diamonds vs Lab Grown. A nice 1ct natural earth mined stone may run you $4-5K, whereas the same size lab grown will be about $2K.

So if you're used to seeing lab grown prices at jewelry stores the price of earth mined stones may be a little shocking. These days lab grown are everywhere and earth mined diamonds are a much smaller market.

Not sure, I really have no frame of reference, haven’t purchased a diamond ring since I bought my wife’s engagement ring 24 years ago.

From a retail perspective, I admit that I have an extremely limited experience. All of the fine jewelry and watches I buy are estate jewelry or secondary market.

So perhaps foolish of me to question a professional appraisal.

Sartoriamo

Reaction score

View attachment 1926461
The key term here is "replacement value", i.e. if you were going to try and buy something similar at retail, that's what it would cost. And it's probably a fair appraisal on that basis. However, the jewelry business, like others, runs on bonkers margins. If you were, instead, to take that ring and try to sell it to a jeweler, your offer would be in the order of 10% or even less.

Not trying to be a buzzkill here, just a realist, as I have had multiple experiences of people who have bought rings for "engagements that went south" asking if I can sell them. Well, I have a good friend who owns a jewelry factory and he was pretty forthright about the "cost of goods sold" versus the retail price, and that's how it shakes out. Around 10%. A good friend spent $7K on an engagement ring for a girlfriend who later called it off. I shipped it to my jewelry factory friend who said the stones plus metal costed out at $700, but he would pay that only as a favor to me, since he would normally offer even less.

Those of you who watch Shark Tank will routinely see the sharks say "wow, great margins!" on items with 10-15x delta. It's pervasive, and that's why we thrift!! I have a dentist friend who offered to donate his time to do some bridge work for me, as long as I covered his "hard cost". One bridge was going to be $5400. "So what's your hard cost?" "$350". God Bless America.

So, @Jackstraw001 it's an awesome incidental find, and having it resized for Mrs J is the perfect way to maximize the outcome! Retail value is retail value, even if a nutty multiple of COGS, and the bragging rights are retail for sure . . .

Jackstraw001

Reaction score
The key term here is "replacement value", i.e. if you were going to try and buy something similar at retail, that's what it would cost. And it's probably a fair appraisal on that basis. However, the jewelry business, like others, runs on bonkers margins. If you were, instead, to take that ring and try to sell it to a jeweler, your offer would be in the order of 10% or even less.

Not trying to be a buzzkill here, just a realist, as I have had multiple experiences of people who have bought rings for "engagements that went south" asking if I can sell them. Well, I have a good friend who owns a jewelry factory and he was pretty forthright about the "cost of goods sold" versus the retail price, and that's how it shakes out. Around 10%. A good friend spent $7K on an engagement ring for a girlfriend who later called it off. I shipped it to my jewelry factory friend who said the stones plus metal costed out at $700, but he would pay that only as a favor to me, since he would normally offer even less.

Those of you who watch Shark Tank will routinely see the sharks say "wow, great margins!" on items with 10-15x delta. It's pervasive, and that's why we thrift!! I have a dentist friend who offered to donate his time to do some bridge work for me, as long as I covered his "hard cost". One bridge was going to be $5400. "So what's your hard cost?" "$350". God Bless America.

So, @Jackstraw001 it's an awesome incidental find, and having it resized for Mrs J is the perfect way to maximize the outcome! Retail value is retail value, even if a nutty multiple of COGS, and the bragging rights are retail for sure . . .
Agree completely. I'm from the "worth is what someone will pay you for it" school so "value" is a very subjective term depending on where you stand in a transaction. My goal in all of this was to determine whether the ring was "nice enough" to justify spending a couple hundred bucks to get it resized. Happily it is and Mrs. J is pleased, so I got that going for me...which is nice...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads