• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Letric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice haul @SCoNE . Those C&J wings prolly have all us size 13 guys jonesing.

img_0323-jpg.1736115

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

St1X

Reaction score

JohnAAG

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever come across these before? APC raw (i think) selvedge with an almost 3 inch selvedge at the cuff.
View attachment 1736259

It tapers gradually up towards the waist.
View attachment 1736260
Poorly done taper on a wider pair. If you look at the hem you can see they did a regular stitch instead of chain stitch. Went the easy route instead of cutting from the inside inseam.

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I still enjoy reading/posting in this thread and hope to begin posting regularly again. Corona and lockdowns have taken a toll on every aspect of life, as we all probably know by now. As I understand it, many parts of the US have been normal during periods of time, but at least here we've faced on/off lockdowns and restrictions for nearly 2 years.

What I want to write today, however, isn't really about thrifting. Some of you have been around long enough to know that my dog, a big Airedale Terrier, is a big part of my life. Unfortunately, this week, he was diagnosed with cancer.

He's been such an integral part of my life for 11 years that I can't imagine a life without him. He's a clever dog that has always simply been one of the loves of our life. This is not to say he's the perfect dog. He doesn't stay alone. At all. He has to either go with us to every restaurant or other outing, or he goes to the dog sitter.

He always attracts comments when we're out, which is often, because he looks like such a friendly teddy bear. However, he really doesn't like other people. He wouldn't harm them, but he really doesn't love to be pet by strangers.

However, he loves us fiercely, despite the fact that we've added noisy children to our household. He has embraced them more than I could ask. When I've been away from my house or working late, I've trusted him to watch over my family, something I wouldn't trust in many people. I always joked that I would pity the poor soul that would try to break into my house. He'd have 40kg/81lbs of beard and teeth to fight.

He was 5 when my first child was born, so they have always known him. He always partnered with the smallest because they are always generous with their snacks. While we have always taught the kids to treat animals carefully and with respect, he never bat an eye when they stepped around him a bit too closely while he napped nor did he ever get protective of his food or toys.

With such an ever-present force in our lives, it was shocking when a sudden seizure on Tuesday sent us to the vet and confirmed the worst. He had shown no symptoms of illness and his recent bloodwork came back pretty clean for a dog his age mere weeks prior. On Wednesday, we were told that he had but days to live and were sent home with some Valium to use during seizures. It was unimaginable.

We have been by his side since this diagnosis. Yesterday, 24 hours after his diagnosis, we saw a rapid decline in his health. He is stoic, so he could still eat and drink, but his body was giving out.

This morning I knew what was best for him and made the call. I held him and tried to tell him 11 years' worth of thank-yous for all that he has taught me and done for me, until his heart stopped. My friend was dead.

My family is a mess. Not only did my wife and I lose a friend, but we had to explain to our children that their friend was gone. Nothing about this is easy.

I know I'll probably be a bit better tomorrow or in a week. Right now, I'm only realizing how appreciative I am of all that he has given me. He wasn't just a pet. He taught me about patience. He taught me about compassion. He taught me about appreciation and joy. These are all things he taught me that carry over into my ability to be a father to my children. In effect, his impact will be felt well beyond his own short 11 years, but will also hopefully outlast my own lifetime through the skills that my children receive from me and pass on to their own children.

More than anything, he was loved.

Zerase

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I still enjoy reading/posting in this thread and hope to begin posting regularly again. Corona and lockdowns have taken a toll on every aspect of life, as we all probably know by now. As I understand it, many parts of the US have been normal during periods of time, but at least here we've faced on/off lockdowns and restrictions for nearly 2 years.

What I want to write today, however, isn't really about thrifting. Some of you have been around long enough to know that my dog, a big Airedale Terrier, is a big part of my life. Unfortunately, this week, he was diagnosed with cancer.

He's been such an integral part of my life for 11 years that I can't imagine a life without him. He's a clever dog that has always simply been one of the loves of our life. This is not to say he's the perfect dog. He doesn't stay alone. At all. He has to either go with us to every restaurant or other outing, or he goes to the dog sitter.

He always attracts comments when we're out, which is often, because he looks like such a friendly teddy bear. However, he really doesn't like other people. He wouldn't harm them, but he really doesn't love to be pet by strangers.

However, he loves us fiercely, despite the fact that we've added noisy children to our household. He has embraced them more than I could ask. When I've been away from my house or working late, I've trusted him to watch over my family, something I wouldn't trust in many people. I always joked that I would pity the poor soul that would try to break into my house. He'd have 40kg/81lbs of beard and teeth to fight.

He was 5 when my first child was born, so they have always known him. He always partnered with the smallest because they are always generous with their snacks. While we have always taught the kids to treat animals carefully and with respect, he never bat an eye when they stepped around him a bit too closely while he napped nor did he ever get protective of his food or toys.

With such an ever-present force in our lives, it was shocking when a sudden seizure on Tuesday sent us to the vet and confirmed the worst. He had shown no symptoms of illness and his recent bloodwork came back pretty clean for a dog his age mere weeks prior. On Wednesday, we were told that he had but days to live and were sent home with some Valium to use during seizures. It was unimaginable.

We have been by his side since this diagnosis. Yesterday, 24 hours after his diagnosis, we saw a rapid decline in his health. He is stoic, so he could still eat and drink, but his body was giving out.

This morning I knew what was best for him and made the call. I held him and tried to tell him 11 years' worth of thank-yous for all that he has taught me and done for me, until his heart stopped. My friend was dead.

My family is a mess. Not only did my wife and I lose a friend, but we had to explain to our children that their friend was gone. Nothing about this is easy.

I know I'll probably be a bit better tomorrow or in a week. Right now, I'm only realizing how appreciative I am of all that he has given me. He wasn't just a pet. He taught me about patience. He taught me about compassion. He taught me about appreciation and joy. These are all things he taught me that carry over into my ability to be a father to my children. In effect, his impact will be felt well beyond his own short 11 years, but will also hopefully outlast my own lifetime through the skills that my children receive from me and pass on to their own children.

More than anything, he was loved.
I am so sorry for your loss, Hansi.

Woofa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry for your loss.

txwoodworker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry brother, our dogs are our family as well. It's terrible to lose a loved one like that, being there was the absolute best thing you could have done.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads