• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jackstraw001

Reaction score
Been on the hunt for an 8-point in any condition

Saw one walking down my driveway not long ago...
20201016_092428.jpg

dadjeans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Harris Tweed Sport Coat
Based upon what I can tell from the Harris and Bay Labels, this piece should date no more recent than early 1960s. Any opinions based on it style, cut etc. if this is more inline with late 1950s? Also what would you call this pattern... I want to call it parquet?
View attachment 1676530
The jacket dates somewhere between 1945 and 1959 and probably later in that range based on the styling.

The second of the trademarks referenced on the label was filed in 1945 so it can't be any earlier. Your label also reads "Harris Tweed Association Ltd." instead of "The Harris Tweed Association Ltd." which is a change that happened some time in the late 50s. I can't find the original source for the Association name change but I can find it changed in an ad in a Sept 1959 issue of Maclean's pasted below. So it's unlikely to be any later than that.

1632850115202.png

Really cool jacket either way. Love that pattern!

leisurewear

Reaction score
I think I recognize that location, pretty sure that one is way OTP for you.

Edit: ****...not as OTP as I thought, about 2 minutes from my house...

yeah sandy springs, exit 5 on 400. First time going in there in over year since I lost the thrifting itch for a while. Nice little welcome back surprise haha

Also lot of haters out here for the house slippers. House slippers are awesome, no shame

Jackstraw001

Reaction score
yeah sandy springs, exit 5 on 400. First time going in there in over year since I lost the thrifting itch for a while. Nice little welcome back surprise haha

Also lot of haters out here for the house slippers. House slippers are awesome, no shame
Nice haul! Although its close to me, I really have stopped going to that store since its generally picked over. Also, since I don't normally look at classic menswear any longer, I would have missed all that stuff anyway. Well done!

JChong8

Reaction score
I apologize if this is lengthy but I was completely shocked when a manager of a store that’s across from my house, approached me when I was just browsing and said “I know what you did yesterday. I saw what you did”. I was completely shocked and just asked him “what are you talking about”. He just says , “I saw you leave with more things in your reusable shopping bag than you came in with”. None of you guys know me too personally but I am basically saying that I would be sworn in on the bible or whatever method if it proved I didn’t do anything wrong. Integrity and honesty is really important to me and that’s why this bothers me so much. He basically walked up with wild accusation with his proof being him verbally saying “I saw it on the video”. I asked him if I can see that video that he claims proves I stole something and he said “I can’t do that.” He didn’t even ban me from the store but claimed that the “next time I shop here or if I want to come back to that particular store, I have to use a shopping cart at all times and leave any shopping bag at the front of the store under the employee’s supervision”. I just feel like if I ever step in that store again, I’m going to be watched like a hawk and like some kind of criminal when I didn’t do a thing.

GoldenHarvestMedal

Reaction score
I apologize if this is lengthy but I was completely shocked when a manager of a store that’s across from my house, approached me when I was just browsing and said “I know what you did yesterday. I saw what you did”. I was completely shocked and just asked him “what are you talking about”. He just says , “I saw you leave with more things in your reusable shopping bag than you came in with”. None of you guys know me too personally but I am basically saying that I would be sworn in on the bible or whatever method if it proved I didn’t do anything wrong. Integrity and honesty is really important to me and that’s why this bothers me so much. He basically walked up with wild accusation with his proof being him verbally saying “I saw it on the video”. I asked him if I can see that video that he claims proves I stole something and he said “I can’t do that.” He didn’t even ban me from the store but claimed that the “next time I shop here or if I want to come back to that particular store, I have to use a shopping cart at all times and leave any shopping bag at the front of the store under the employee’s supervision”. I just feel like if I ever step in that store again, I’m going to be watched like a hawk and like some kind of criminal when I didn’t do a thing.
He must have seen another guy who looks like you did that the day before. Don't bother things like that. Just be yourself.

impuntura

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Stand your ground and demand an apology even if you gotta call a district manager.

cpmac7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stand your ground and demand an apology even if you gotta call a district manager.

I was literally about to message him this ^^

People make mistakes, but if theres no proof you have every right to take the next step in getting that apology or more.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Definitely stand your ground. If he wants to accuse you, let him produce whatever evidence he thinks he has. The cops will laugh at him if it was someone else.

JChong8

Reaction score
@GoldenHarvestMedal @impuntura @Fueco Thats exactly what I did guys. I wasn’t just going to sit there and take that bullshit. So to clarify, I was in the store yesterday (Monday) and popped in today on Tuesday and that’s when I was approached and accused of stealing on the Monday. I was even asked why I would bring a bag of Value Village items from another store into this particular store. Clearly they don’t even know their own exchange policy that there’s no credit or anything. You have to exchange the item for another item with equal value or lesser value and pay the difference.

impuntura

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@GoldenHarvestMedal @impuntura @Fueco Thats exactly what I did guys. I wasn’t just going to sit there and take that bullshit. So to clarify, I was in the store yesterday (Monday) and popped in today on Tuesday and that’s when I was approached and accused of stealing on the Monday. I was even asked why I would bring a bag of Value Village items from another store into this particular store. Clearly they don’t even know their own exchange policy that there’s no credit or anything. You have to exchange the item for another item with equal value or lesser value and pay the difference.

This manager may also be laying the ground work to have you banned .
Why you ask?
Several reasons ,all of which ive seen with my own eyes over the years .
A) they dislike regulars ,there is some kind of resenment they have towards flippers even though we support a huge chunk of their daily balance .they may be nice to your face but trust me they don't want you there .this is especially true for VV and Savers .Salvation Army they really don't mind I find .
B)you may be scooping up items that they have their eye on to flip themselves or for personal use .an example is marking **** up high so no one will buy it only for themselves to buy it with their employee discounts couple of days later .
C) they may be working with someone they tip off to come in and buy certain things to split profits later.
D) they just don't like your face lol (I've been on the receiving end of this one hah)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads