• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reosymes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brown captoes by C&J for PRL, need a little tlc.

1627947830750.png

1627947875817.png

1627947903806.png

Alden for BB.

PXL_20210627_233428559.jpg

IMG_1103.JPG

Alden for BB.
1627948024551.jpeg

IMG_0818.JPG

IMG_0819.JPG

Almost new C&J chatham, patent leather.
IMG_0830.JPG

IMG_0824.JPG

IMG_0839.JPG

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't have a standalone cd player and i realized that 'vintage' cd players are just as ****** looking as I remember them to be. Electronics were half price today (well it was all weekend but I didn't realize it until 7:00 this evening) so I spent $7 on a Samsung BD-D6700 DVD player. Slot loading, blue ray 3D, dual hdmi ports, ethernet port, wifi, 1 gig onboard storage plus a bunch of inboard apps that I will never use. What excited me was that it still had the factory contact paper on top so the aluminum case is virginal :slayer:

20210802_214701.jpg

Last edited:

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Carbon fiber forks are the best. I like it when they clear coat the carbon fiber or paint them black like on my same-vintage Colnago from 2000, but a made in SLC USA Wound Up with matching colors will do fine. View attachment 1646984
Colnago is famous for their paint jobs. This bike has a little sprinter dude on the top tube for inspiration.
View attachment 1646985
This is the bike I'm putting the most miles on these days though. Compact gears (49/35 vs. 53/39 to a 28 in the back) make even the steepest hills here doable for me, even at 250+ lbs. Bike shops are busy places these days - look at all the new arrivals still boxed up in the back of this pic. I got a new chain and tune-up and had to book a week in advance.
View attachment 1646969

Colnago Maaaaaaaaaaaaassssstttteeerrrrrrr!!!

*swoon*

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One last post on this $140 Goodwill find from a couple of days ago, before I give it to my son. I chipped all the noisy stickers off the frame with my thumbnails so as not to scratch the paint, then washed with Meguairs car wash soap and cleaned the gears with Pedro's chain cleaner. Vote for Pedro. Also ordered some genyuwine Campagnolo rubber brake hoods from the Bay, since these ones are chewed up on the tops. This frame is titanium and the parts are a full Campy Record 9 speed group from twenty years ago.
View attachment 1646719
Apparently the frame builder is well known around Philadelphia, where this bike was built back in 1999.
View attachment 1646728
It hits all the gears, but I'm still going to have my shop fine tune it and make sure the hubs and whatnot are lubed.
View attachment 1646720
Coincidentally I have a same-vintage Colnago Ovalmaster titanium bike I bought in 2000 while I was in Italy on a very challenging cycling trip with Andy Hampsten's Cinghiale Tours. The thrifted bike has better gears though! (Record vs. Chorus)

Cheezus!!

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went down a converse rabbit hole back when I found those deadstock size 14/17s a year or two back. That logo set up is right around 1980s, advertised heavily with the “official sponsor of the 84 olympics” stuff. The copyright dates of ads and on boxes were 81 and 82 that I saw.
Not saying Rumpy is incorrect, but I’d love to hear more on why the 70s. @Rumpelstiltskin care to expound? I’ll dig up the screenshots I took back then. This is the sort of thing that I love, finding something and then researching the **** out of it. Haha.

EDIT: but yeah, that insole throws me off as I haven’t seen it much. @impuntura

@carreragt7
I was just going off the top of my head. I grew up in Sneaker Mecca aka The Capitol of the World aka The Center of the Universe and until around 1980 the hottest sneakers to sport were either Pro Keds or Chucks if you were one of those grubby folks who lived in Da Bronx or those slummy areas near the Bowery:rotflmao:

I vaguely remember Converse trying to reinvent themselves with a cool new logo but canvas sneakers were about to go the way of the dodo. Pony started making inroad because of Larry Bird, Bob McAdoo, and Mr. October himself but Adidas took everyone out and was soon to be crowned king with their 'shelltops' aka Superstars as well as the 2nd tier 'Jabbars' (I had a pair in 83). Nike was still new and hadn't reached the East Coast yet. I remember my father bought me (and my little brother) the same damn pairs of blue & yellow waffle racers from the PX in 5th (?) grade and I was upset because I thought they were discount sneakers. Oh and we looked like the Bopsy Twins. I don't know what happened but by 6th grade Nikes were officially cool shoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads