• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
here's an interesting one. all those high end fashion brands we all covet finding... hermes, LV, gucci, saint laurent, dior (the current stuff, not the out of date ones) . what level of actual quality are we talking? my gut says better than prada, but nothing like loro piana.

as far as bags and wallets, i'm a total noob. will a ghurka bag or wallet blow the doors off a hermes equivalent? or is ghurka **** too compared to something even more baller?

to be clear, i'm talking materials and quality of construction. you know, with that in mind, Alden makes a better shoe than Gucci. so, like Ghurka makes a better bag than Hermes.

Aren't all the "it bags" corrected grain leather? Isn't that still cheap leather compared to Horween or similar?

On clothing - designer is rarely about quality. Dana Thomas is pretty good on this in her original book Deluxe. I have some respect for Gucci as their tailoring is always decent, Caruso level. And we know about Tom Ford. But most of the designer brands are pretty junky - I always remember how impressive the original Thom Browne stuff was just because it was all tailor made to a high standard. @SpooPoker has many times more experience here than any of the rest of us though...

On bags / leather goods - start here:https://www.styleforum.net/threads/the-definitive-manbag-thread-part-ii-2014.429518/

JamesJohn

Reaction score
real, but not worth flipping. fine for personal use

Thanks man. It was for personal but always try to avoid fakes like the plague. I’ve seen Polo Golf labels but the interior tag wasn’t anything familiar to me from seeing a lot of Ralph Lauren pieces.

LaundryRoom

Reaction score
Some recent finds...All available...

Ibex 1.jpg

Ibex 2.jpg

JWM 1.jpg

JWM 2.jpg

Pendleton 1.jpg

Pendleton 2.jpg

This is the vest I posted yesterday, about removing the embroidered logo...men's XL

Pata vest.jpg

I found another Ludlow jacket, makes three in the past two weeks. Certainly a rarity around these parts. Nice pattern matching on the back of this Prince of Wales... 40 R

Ludlow 1.jpg

Ludlow 2.jpg

And not true thrift, I guess, but half off week at a local consignment shop my friend turned me on to, of which I was completely unaware. Paid $21. Anyone ever seen these before? @FENWAY?

The online chat lady at Orvis was friendly and helpful. She calls these the "Borderlands", long discontinued, but she couldn't tell me the maker.

My teenage son said "I wouldn't be caught dead in those high heels", when I suggested he keep them. Men's 10 M

Packer 1.jpg

Orvis 3.jpg

Packer 2.jpg

Last edited:

impuntura

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That heel is pretty extreme ,couldn't a cobbler cut that in half ?
Looks pretty straight forward to do.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That heel is pretty extreme ,couldn't a cobbler cut that in half ?
Looks pretty straight forward to do.

That heel type is designed for use while riding a horse. The extra tall heel makes the boot less likely to slip through the stirrups. The boots are similar in style to White’s Packer Boots.

Sartoriamo

Reaction score
Pretty happy to find this at the local GW, and was just disappointed that the hood wasn't present. Got it home and in one of the pockets, there it was: Willis & Geiger poplin safari. Just awesome.

66942BDA-C1BD-4E4F-A49B-1D57AE1C1F8A.jpeg
EC8275C3-7AC6-4FF4-94BB-5EBC6C1DDE7F.jpeg
FBC1CFDB-4B0C-41E8-8F2E-56EA24EB5593.jpeg

Garmont boots
8A3B7713-A41A-4D09-9237-037CAE133A61.jpeg

Denim guys, are these anything? Seem to be overstating the selvedge thing . . .
68BBD8DD-B0B2-4910-A53A-33D31E2E88E9.jpeg
1F733D6E-4A88-4445-96C2-D6FDAA96A54C.jpeg
4A9FEE24-DF7D-4E41-B34F-8D9527426BE4.jpeg
9EA4DDB5-4C16-473A-8440-F5B9915164DC.jpeg

Some men's Uggs. My size, dammit.
AB4C53B1-32EA-4786-BD9B-9E5FC4915E2D.jpeg

And finally, well, after I read a review on the world's best toasters, listing this Breville die-cast model with all of its bonkers expensive features, like automatic motorized raising and lowering as well as all kinds of options, I put it on my grail list. And sheeyit, here it was today, in LKNW condition at an estate. Didn't even get to grab a pic before her ladyship installed it in the kitchen. It's like a frickin' Rolls Royce. I'd never have spent this kind of retail price on a toaster, but now I understand why people do . . . 'Tis a geeky thing of beauty . . .
IMG_0425.JPG

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics