• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LiamD

Reaction score
I was just talking to a friend about SEX and Seditionaries and how the market bubble for the tees was caused entirely by resellers buying at a super low amount and just keeping them priced unfortunately high. Reality is they're only worth a couple hundred bucks and occasionally you'll see them come up for about that much. I'm surprised yours actually sold for so much, the cowboy one isn't even the most desirable.

It was a 70s original and this all happened 10 years ago. Who can fathom the vagaries of ebay bidding? Starting price was £0.99 plus P&P.

On the same day I scored that T-shirt. I also got a T-shirt from the Rock Against Racism gig at Victoria Park, a Buzzcocks 1978 tour shirt and, gem of gems, a dog-eared copy of Sniffin' Glue (plus stacks of interesting vinyl). Some old punk must have had a clearout and I was lucky enough to be there at the right time.

Like @Thrift Vader posted, we're all looking for different things. Finds like this is what drags me back to charity shops and car-boot sales. I don't really have much interest in suits and shirts but each to their own.

thebuddahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Our overlords here in England announce today which ‘tier’ of restrictions we will be subject to next week when this lockdown ends. It’s all region-specific so I’m hoping as the SW is pretty low numbers-wise some shops here will open up again, and of course the pubs. A man needs thrift and a drink ffs. Preferably in the same trip.

rokor

Reaction score
Our overlords here in England announce today which ‘tier’ of restrictions we will be subject to next week when this lockdown ends. It’s all region-specific so I’m hoping as the SW is pretty low numbers-wise some shops here will open up again, and of course the pubs. A man needs thrift and a drink ffs. Preferably in the same trip.
A man can simply hope to gett both in one trip, its too much trouble doing it this way here....

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
the one thing I can’t figure out is how to get keys for a car you bought at auction. Some nice ones are abandoned, impounded, or recoveries

Yeah, just like @Jmr928 said. If you own the car, dealers will sell you a new key.
Or depending on the car, buy a new ignition barrel/key.
Also, some people hide the spare key around or in the car.
So look for a key duct taped to the inner sides of the bumpers, behind removable exterior trim,etc.
Or somewhere inside the car.
-good time to detail newly acquired car. :)

txwoodworker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happy Thanksgiving from the last day of Quarantine, for me. The wife and I were exposed to an employee who is still fighting with symptoms, just over two weeks ago. We decided to cut off all human contact for a couple extra days so we could safely have a fam turkey day with no masks with my wife's mom. Worth it, but excited to hit a store or two tomorrow if the crowds aren't bad.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Happy Thanksgiving all of you turkeys...

I’m hoping to get some Thriftmas shopping inwhen I go out to get a tree tomorrow.

E172453A-4AF2-49D5-8A3D-042D471C3B76.jpeg

Last edited:

SomethingsFishy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. Long time no post. Hope everyone has been staying safe. Like most, my life has been a shitshow for the past 9 months. However, I'm tremendously thankful that my entire family remains safe. Even though we can't be together this year, it's a victory I'll take.

I've been living on a remote little island for the past few months, so not much thrifting. But the Thrift Gods always come through somehow...

Pop. NWOT; Look to have just been tried on.
PXL_20201125_224625163.jpg

Stay safe, crew. ?

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Happy Thanksgiving from the last day of Quarantine, for me. The wife and I were exposed to an employee who is still fighting with symptoms, just over two weeks ago. We decided to cut off all human contact for a couple extra days so we could safely have a fam turkey day with no masks with my wife's mom. Worth it, but excited to hit a store or two tomorrow if the crowds aren't bad.
Day 12 here, a minimum of 20 to go.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I spotted some All-Clad in my Facebook feed. Don’t open the spoiler if you’re offended by semi-political content or cookware.

A2A15B74-3E41-43DD-99A1-D72A89129CB6.jpeg

Letric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Took a while of scanning the photo but I don't see anything political in it. Unless the woman or the turkey is some kind of politician?

Sartoriamo

Reaction score
Yeah, just like @Jmr928 said. If you own the car, dealers will sell you a new key.
Or depending on the car, buy a new ignition barrel/key.
Also, some people hide the spare key around or in the car.
So look for a key duct taped to the inner sides of the bumpers, behind removable exterior trim,etc.
Or somewhere inside the car.
-good time to detail newly acquired car. :)
To those who responded to my vehicle auction post, thanks, and this is simply a standard vehicle from a standard dealer auction, and comes with keys, books, everything.
Many of these auction vehicles are trade-ins that don't match the dealer's inventory preferences, or have cosmetic imperfections that may put off retail customers, or vehicles whose trade-in value they've lowballed or "disappeared", and can make a quick'n'easy grand or two by sending them to the auction. The auction houses know that ALL dealers are ripoff artists, so the majority of vehicles are heavily inspected and graded by the auction staff before going on the block. It's not foolproof, but you generally know what you are getting. Since pristine vehicles get the highest wholesale prices, I usually go for something with a couple minor disclosed issues that I can easily fix myself. This one was noted as having a "dead" radio/COMAND unit, but I know that in almost every case, it will either just need to be reset, or the LCD screen's backlight has failed: something that's easily fixed for $100 by a guy in a laptop repair shop. Hence the price of around $1600 below even dealer wholesale.

Although I've been flipping cars for nearly 50 years, I kicked it up a notch over 20 years ago, when I first moved to CA. I went to buy a used Benz, but balked at being asked for seven grand in tax, which is like setting fire to 70 Ben Franklins. Since I usually change my car every few months (and try to make margin each time), getting a dealer license was the only way to purchase and drive vehicles tax-free, so I got a wholesale license, and have maintained dealer access ever since.

Bottom line, it's just another way of applying the thrift mindset to everything in life: expending effort and embracing inconvenience in exchange for the best possible pricing and the opportunity for margin. I help people buy vehicles at auction all the time, but it's not for everyone, as it requires full payment in cash on the day, and a willingness to deal with what you bid on and win, for better or worse. Not everyone can handle that.

In other news, I am driving that Benz to CA today and overnighting in a hotel by the beach. Why? Well, one of my favorite uber-upscale consignment shops does an annual Black Friday thing (at up to 90% off), pulling extra sales racks out on to the sidewalk. Over the prior year they accrue a significant inventory of "second tier" product (aka Canali, Zegna, Armani etc) that does not meet their normal standard (LV, Tom Ford, Laurent etc). They stash it in back especially for Black Friday. So it's usually a good time, and thus far, only one year has sucked. Pulled Kiton, Isaia, Cucinelli, Ricci and Brioni off the racks last year, but it's always a surprise, so fingers crossed it's decent this year. Hmmmm . . . I should not be disclosing this in advance in case it's a bust. But anyway, my favorite personal purchase from there was a Luigi Borrelli padded twill winter jacket for sixty bucks. It's a thing of beauty, and has been my winter staple for years.

Happy T-Day everyone!

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^ Took a while of scanning the photo but I don't see anything political in it. Unless the woman or the turkey is some kind of politician?

Two years of political campaigns and you don’t know who that is?

dadjeans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two years of political campaigns and you don’t know who that is?
To be fair, it took me a minute. She doesn't usually have her hair up. Also, Americans haven't had a VP (yeah yeah, VP-elect) who could pull off a buttery copper silk blouse like that since Dan Quayle. It'll take some time to adjust.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads