• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

carreragt7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@MJMcRibb looks dope! There are LVC models of that jacket so I’d look closely around the stitching in the neck area and the other spots that tags are usually put nowadays to see if there are any signs of them being cut out by someone trying to pass it off as true vintage.
it’s a dope jacket! About my size, too. No jealousy here, I swear. Haha

Centaurus3200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, i can't compete with that type I jacket. My totally unqualified opinion is that it looks just too damn good to be that old. Especially the tag. You'd also think the indigo wouldn't be as even being its close to 100 years old? But stranger things have happened. My original WWII star sportswear A-2 looks way too good to be real, but it is.

But I'm hardly an expert. Somehow my little late 60s type III isn't quite as exciting anymore.

Centaurus3200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On another note, went back to the bins. Well, after saying luggage is worthless, I bought another bag. Lol!

1970s Tumi leather duffel. Made in Colombia. Original strap, locks, keys, key bag... No tag. i used a later one I had hanging around. $4.

Decently collectable.
20201016_181111.jpg
20201016_181139.jpg
20201016_184329.jpg
Screenshot_20201016-184513_eBay.jpg

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, i can't compete with that type I jacket. My totally unqualified opinion is that it looks just too damn good to be that old. Especially the tag. You'd also think the indigo wouldn't be as even being its close to 100 years old? But stranger things have happened. My original WWII star sportswear A-2 looks way too good to be real, but it is.

But I'm hardly an expert. Somehow my little late 60s type III isn't quite as exciting anymore.

Sometimes you can just find the craziest things, and a surprising amount of times they'll be under $20 and pristine.

Stewie

Reaction score
Scary piece - i would be shaking - yup - transitional years piece for sure - if color is same under patches might be worth it - otherwise leave it up to the buyer. I dunno what to tell you to price it - If I can share the photos I can hit up a few guys - nice down payment on a car I suspect :)

Will someone please slap me back to reality or confirm what I've just found. Quick research would date this between 1928 (when the pocket got a flap) and 1936 (when the red tab was added). There doesn't look to be any damage under the patches and they look like they could be easily removed. Any Levi's experts? @Stewie @double00
View attachment 1478601 View attachment 1478602 View attachment 1478603 View attachment 1478604

MJMcRibb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Scary piece - i would be shaking - yup - transitional years piece for sure - if color is same under patches might be worth it - otherwise leave it up to the buyer. I dunno what to tell you to price it - If I can share the photos I can hit up a few guys - nice down payment on a car I suspect :)
Thanks, man! Feel free to share away!

Centaurus3200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! That's just because I'm cheap and still pretty much buy for myself. Unless it's like a grail or something.

I'm definitely lower tier here, I just post more than I should. Lol!

You gotta hit A LOT of stores incessantly (and estate sales, recycling centers, garage sales, curb side, etc.). I usually don't go as much as now, but it's like WFH all the time these days. Easy to slip out for a quick run.

I've left my share of top level classic menswear that either didn't fit, or was more than I wanted to pay... Or both. I have limited space and just don't have the storage. And my wife would kill me. She already gives me a hard time as it is

Sometimes you can just find the craziest things, and a surprising amount of times they'll be under $20 and pristine.

Last edited:

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! That's just because I'm cheap and still pretty much buy for myself. Unless it's like a grail or something.

I'm definitely lower tier here, I just post more than I should. Lol!

You gotta hit A LOT of stores incessantly (and estate sales, recycling centers, garage sales, curb side, etc.). I usually don't go as much as now, but it's like WFH all the time these days. Easy to slip out for a quick run.

I've found my share of top level classic menswear that either didn't fit, or was more than I wanted to pay... Or both. I have limited space and just don't have the storage. And my wife would kill me. She already gives me a hard time as it is

I'm in a similar boat - having a full wardrobe and just browsing for really standout items for myself.

That means I don't always buy a lot, but anything I add has value to me.

rokor

Reaction score
I find myself in a similar boat. I passed on a great Tombolini sport coat about a week ago and just the week before I made an offer for a very similar one in my size for $80(which was kindly declined). I’ve just got enough stuff that isn’t my size and I don’t have the motivation or will to sell myself, and it’s probably not enough to be worth sending to someone who can do that for me anymore. The problems of a retired full time thrifter haha.

jumpman1231

Reaction score
0 tights
30ish Zegna jackets and a couple of silk lined Sulka / Leonard Logsdail suits

I was in Boston for my sons health a couple years ago and for the weekend we up went up to cape cod and in some random small shop up there I found a few Vince items which were Zegna also. Surprisingly large if I recall and all sold well... congrats!!
37183171-82D3-49E2-8896-965A61603F37.jpeg

wumpyfish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Slightly off topic. When Vince was doing "wrastling" for Ted Turner's superstation they had an event in Atlanta I went to and its where Andre the Giant comes out of the crowd and goes into the ring and throws all the other guys out for the closing match, the original reality television.
1602938183768.png

edit: Andre is the gentleman on the far right.

Last edited:

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
LV quality is ****. Looks real. Don't see any hint of "pleather".

Would rock it.
(I could produce a line-up of the same)

Thriftmas is coming, Spread the joy!!!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads