• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sushijerk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On another note, isn't thrifting becoming like a big gen Z thing? They'd rather buy used clothes with a "story" than go to forever 21 and the like?

Anyway, more competition in the hype wear and vintage T sect. I doubt they give a crap about CM...

On the other side, you gotta have a youtube channel, sell on Instagram, have gauged ears, talk like vanilla ice and say **** like "tommy for your mommy' ?

Oh, I almost forgot... You gotta incorporate "low-key" into every sentence. Haha, i kill me!
Why you gotta hate on Paul Cantu like this.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wonder how many of those people stuff things away and it never makes it the auction site.

I have to say, I mainly thrift for myself. If anything is resold, it's because I know it's in high demand and I don't have to wait very long to get rid of it.

So anyone who's a 37/28 or thereabouts, watch out!

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are OK for a buck. Lenses are clear so I’ll forgive some frame rub. And they’re big enough to fit my pumpkin head.
87B8FC04-1F08-4809-B10B-1A99B2F54945.jpeg
F0C056D4-BB07-402D-A887-C64E7D864D7F.png

Sartoriamo

Reaction score
@highvoltorb, @ATLjon, @Centaurus3200 and others . . . I've been back out ever since the stores reopened, and out every day, Not just stores, but lots of local auctions and estates. The hustle never stops. However, I do notice a LOT more flippers than ever before. New ones, too, presumably trying muster up a few beans in Covid times. My preferred kops have completely changed as well, away from CM to workwear etc. And every decent bicycle I can get my hands on. Tons of furniture, medical equipment, audio, tools, you name it. Anything with margin, the more the merrier.

The thing that pisses me off is that having been a flipper since I was less than 10 years old (in the 60s), all the knowledge used to be in my head, and therefore I had a massive advantage. But now, everybody's got a ******* smartphone, so even if they don't know ****, they have their sell value in a few seconds. This happened with two items at last Sunday's auction: one was a vintage audio amp (Eico HF-81 for those here who know) that looked like an ancient Bakelite thang, so everyone was ignoring it. The auctioneer (who perambulates around the lots) was just about to open the lot for bidding when a flipper pulled out his phone, did a quick "completed items" search on the 'Bay, and promptly outbid me. If he hadn't been bidding, I would have got it for $20 opening bid, as no-one else was in. Hammer price: $300. I stopped at $250, which was a 3x margin.

Then there was a Bach Stradivarius trumpet, a dusty old thing in a case, and with a solidly flippable resale of around $1500. Again, no-one paying attention, and me waiting to pounce, but this time the auctioneer stopped in his tracks, said "well, this must be worth something!", pulled out his phone, and within a few seconds, yelled "wow, sold price $1500. Three of them sold!" And opened the bidding. ****. A bidding frenzy ensued, taking it past margin threshold for me. Skunked again. Talked to the other flipper after, and he told me he works on a 2x margin formula. 2x??? FFS. Except for instaflip merch, I don't get out of bed for less than 5x, and prefer 10x, 50x, as many x as I can squeeze out. So I guess any time that flipper is there, I can go home and catch up backlog . . . sigh. Same as everything else, it's always changing.

sandfourman

Reaction score
last day before wisconsin gets banned from Chicago again lol. pop on chipp, 5 bucks for the full suit.
IMG_1255.JPG IMG_1259.JPG
also is the Valentino real?
IMG_0799.jpg IMG_0804.JPG IMG_0805.JPG
pop on IM design first kind of issey miyake.
IMG_1243.JPG IMG_1245.JPG
pop on ralph lauren black label jeans.
IMG_1271.JPG IMG_1272.JPG
and to top it off rrl blazer tweed.
IMG_1235.JPG
IMG_1237.JPG

Centaurus3200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel ya!

I've had my hits back in the day. $40 Dynaco ST70, $10 full Ampex tube console with EL84 monoblocks, preamp, tuner. $25 minty Fisher 500S (all paperwork), $60 Dynaco MKII monoblocks, $60 heath kit W5 with the Genelex KT66s, Fisher 400 in the TRASH. I did splurge on a $400 McIntosh MC240 at one point. I could go on. We're talking the 90s. Ebay straight jacked everything as far as proprietary knowledge amounting to an advantage.

I guess it still does. Even with clothes and shoes, I don't need to check my phone every fricken time. So there's efficiency there... Unless it's street wear, in which case, I have no idea...

and honestly, try as I might, just can't seem to give a **** about Jordan 4's or the like. I know I should, but... Just. Can't. Do. It.

@highvoltorb, @ATLjon, @Centaurus3200 and others . . . I've been back out ever since the stores reopened, and out every day, Not just stores, but lots of local auctions and estates. The hustle never stops. However, I do notice a LOT more flippers than ever before. New ones, too, presumably trying muster up a few beans in Covid times. My preferred kops have completely changed as well, away from CM to workwear etc. And every decent bicycle I can get my hands on. Tons of furniture, medical equipment, audio, tools, you name it. Anything with margin, the more the merrier.

The thing that pisses me off is that having been a flipper since I was less than 10 years old (in the 60s), all the knowledge used to be in my head, and therefore I had a massive advantage. But now, everybody's got a ******* smartphone, so even if they don't know ****, they have their sell value in a few seconds. This happened with two items at last Sunday's auction: one was a vintage audio amp (Eico HF-81 for those here who know) that looked like an ancient Bakelite thang, so everyone was ignoring it. The auctioneer (who perambulates around the lots) was just about to open the lot for bidding when a flipper pulled out his phone, did a quick "completed items" search on the 'Bay, and promptly outbid me. If he hadn't been bidding, I would have got it for $20 opening bid, as no-one else was in. Hammer price: $300. I stopped at $250, which was a 3x margin.

Then there was a Bach Stradivarius trumpet, a dusty old thing in a case, and with a solidly flippable resale of around $1500. Again, no-one paying attention, and me waiting to pounce, but this time the auctioneer stopped in his tracks, said "well, this must be worth something!", pulled out his phone, and within a few seconds, yelled "wow, sold price $1500. Three of them sold!" And opened the bidding. ****. A bidding frenzy ensued, taking it past margin threshold for me. Skunked again. Talked to the other flipper after, and he told me he works on a 2x margin formula. 2x??? FFS. Except for instaflip merch, I don't get out of bed for less than 5x, and prefer 10x, 50x, as many x as I can squeeze out. So I guess any time that flipper is there, I can go home and catch up backlog . . . sigh. Same as everything else, it's always changing.

dadjeans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
last day before wisconsin gets banned from Chicago again lol. pop on chipp, 5 bucks for the full suit.
View attachment 1464847 View attachment 1464848
also is the Valentino real?
View attachment 1464849 View attachment 1464850 View attachment 1464851
pop on IM design first kind of issey miyake.
View attachment 1464852 View attachment 1464853
pop on ralph lauren black label jeans.
View attachment 1464854 View attachment 1464855
and to top it off rrl blazer tweed.
View attachment 1464856
View attachment 1464857
I flipped a Valentino tux with those labels for top dollar a few years back so I assume it's legit.

Centaurus3200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the record, I like Paul. He's got the 14 year old boy humor down, which is pretty much my maturity level, he's not finding Hella grails, but generally Flipping $2 shirts for $17... But on his own site. So, no ebay fees and not getting screwed by buyers. All sales final.

And he gets youtube income.

Why you gotta hate on Paul Cantu like this.

tweedydon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone else not thrifted once since the pandemic started? No? Just me? I just sit here and by tie lots from Linda to flip to keep myself vaguely sane. It's brutal. If one of you guys wants to live stream your thrifting adventures on Twitch I'll totally watch.

I've been out twice, both recently. The well-run for-profit store I love is just as good as always--and really neatly adapted to COVID with one-way enlarged aisles and plastic barriers between buyers and the check out. The others.... Like the Mary Celeste, but without the party atmosphere.

On a positive note I have such a backlog owing to laziness I can easily keep listing with no new stock for another six months!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads