• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

impuntura

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_20200924_121435.jpg

Centaurus3200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, for the most part, I mainly hit the one thrift down the street..
And when I'm feeling frisky, I'll hit the bins but that's rare, as I just get the heebie jeebies there since covid.

I'm back to going almost every day, but only to a couple stores. Haven't done an all day thrift run since covid.

Centaurus3200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On another note, isn't thrifting becoming like a big gen Z thing? They'd rather buy used clothes with a "story" than go to forever 21 and the like?

Anyway, more competition in the hype wear and vintage T sect. I doubt they give a crap about CM...

On the other side, you gotta have a youtube channel, sell on Instagram, have gauged ears, talk like vanilla ice and say **** like "tommy for your mommy' ?

Oh, I almost forgot... You gotta incorporate "low-key" into every sentence. Haha, i kill me!

Last edited:

TMoxleyFTW

Reaction score
On another note, isn't thrifting becoming like a big gen Z thing? They'd rather buy used clothes with a "story" than go to forever 21 and the like?

Anyway, more competition in the hype wear and vintage T sect. I doubt they give a crap about CM...

On the other side, you gotta have a youtube channel, sell on Instagram, have gauged ears, talk like vanilla ice and say **** like "tommy for your mommy' ?

Oh, I almost forgot... You gotta incorporate "low-key" into every sentence. Haha, i kill me!
Gen Z here, I don't really think you have to worry about us. Last time I was at SV, I had to wait in line behind a group of guys my age. I overheard them talking about how they "finessed all the nice stuff in this store" and then watched them buy a bunch of Calvin Klein and Perry Ellis.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't know that they're much competition, but I actually find that many GenZ kids are really appreciative of classic clothing.

Almost everyone I know around that age (I'm a Millennial) either buys vintage clothes or at least knows that it's cool now.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

you should self-publish a wry autobiographical graphic novel i would super enjoy reading your illustrated misadventures

330CK

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

A4A83E57-37E3-4672-B1B2-197AC974E3EC.jpeg

Centaurus3200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm just being a smart ass, but you probably figured that out ?

The interesting thing about fashion is something is worth what a sizeable enough portion of the population thinks it's worth.

At 46, I'm becoming a dinosaur. Gen Y and gen Z WAY outnumber gen X. It's showing in the resale. The number of folks who give a **** about classic menswear is on the decline. ****, even my "look"... The metrosexual lumberjack is out of style. That was kinda gen X's last gasp of trend relavence. We took our baggy 90s jeans, Flannel, docs and tailored it with a selvedge cuff.

It's one thing if you buy for yourself but if you flip, I think the game is more confusing than ever. With CM, it's "is it real? Is it current? Buy it".

With street wear, it's largely hype. You could have 2 pair of AF1's... One pair is worthless, the other is worth a grand. But at the core, it's the same damn shoe, made in the same factory, probably on the same day. And that's if they're real to begin with.

throw in people buying innately worthless shirts to flip... because the graphic is interesting, BUT more importantly the colorway matches some currently collectable sneakers. I believe that's actually a thing?

So confusing!

Gen Z here, I don't really think you have to worry about us. Last time I was at SV, I had to wait in line behind a group of guys my age. I overheard them talking about how they "finessed all the nice stuff in this store" and then watched them buy a bunch of Calvin Klein and Perry Ellis.

Centaurus3200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I just did with all my rambling.
Whatever, I'm on temporary disability and it's not like the thrifts are coughing up gold like they used to. I got spare time.

Yeah, yeah, y'all are like "please spare us" ?

I like that the kids are into thrifting.
Too much throwaway culture. We need to make less crap in this world and better make use of what we already have.

you should self-publish a wry autobiographical graphic novel i would super enjoy reading your illustrated misadventures

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm just being a smart ass, but you probably figured that out ?

The interesting thing about fashion is something is worth what a sizeable enough portion of the population thinks it's worth.

At 46, I'm becoming a dinosaur. Gen Y and gen Z WAY outnumber gen X. It's showing in the resale. The number of folks who give a **** about classic menswear is on the decline. ****, even my "look"... The metrosexual lumberjack is out of style. That was kinda gen X's last gasp of trend relavence. We took our baggy 90s jeans, Flannel, docs and tailored it with a selvedge cuff.

It's one thing if you buy for yourself but if you flip, I think the game is more confusing than ever. With CM, it's "is it real? Is it current? Buy it".

With street wear, it's largely hype. You could have 2 pair of AF1's... One pair is worthless, the other is worth a grand. But at the core, it's the same damn shoe, made in the same factory, probably on the same day. And that's if they're real to begin with.

throw in people buying innately worthless shirts to flip... because the graphic is interesting, BUT more importantly the colorway matches some currently collectable sneakers. I believe that's actually a thing?

So confusing!

As a main trend, anything 70s and 80s is a big thing. Nostalgia is the overriding factor, and GenZ kids don't want to look like hipsters or their parents - unless the parents were rockstars or something.

Centaurus3200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Especially considering those sleeved up, selvedge wearing, rockabilly gen X mofos ARE THEIR PARENTS!

As a main trend, anything 70s and 80s is a big thing. Nostalgia is the overriding factor, and GenZ kids don't want to look like hipsters or their parents - unless the parents were rockstars or something.

My Main Man

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My co-workers son just started working at Goodwill in the donation area a few months ago. I can actually confirm what we’ve all been assuming in that one of the main reasons thrifting has been so bad is because they have people grabbing good stuff for shopgoodwill.com. He referred to them as “the auction people” but he said that they go through virtually everything and grab the better stuff for their site. He said that even they knew they missed a lot but they’re confident that they’re getting most of the primo stuff. ******* huge bummer hearing it from someone who works there.

Centaurus3200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did he get the impression these auction folks are knowledgeable? Like on the level of some members here? Or at least somewhat competent?

Are do they think Calvin Klein and Zara are the ****?

My co-workers son just started working at Goodwill in the donation area a few months ago. I can actually confirm what we’ve all been assuming in that one of the main reasons thrifting has been so bad is because they have people grabbing good stuff for shopgoodwill.com. He referred to them as “the auction people” but he said that they go through virtually everything and grab the better stuff for their site. He said that even they knew they missed a lot but they’re confident that they’re getting most of the primo stuff. ******* huge bummer hearing it from someone who works there.

My Main Man

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did he get the impression these auction folks are knowledgeable? Like on the level of some members here? Or at least somewhat competent?

Are do they think Calvin Klein and Zara are the ****?

he said “they know their ****” but I don’t know exactly what that means to him. I do know I haven’t found a single worthwhile thing at the store he works at in like a year and it’s in one of the richest areas of Minnesota.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads