• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Zerase

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Isn't women's sizes like 34-42 or something like that? So M/L women's coat

330CK

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
set of six solid brass bar stools by swaim

060EA6CA-FB50-4852-83B0-B382F9DCFD0F.jpeg

im sure retail on these was 20k+ for the set

Last edited:

oulipien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so I know this isn't really what this thread is for, but I'm kind of at a loss for what to do with this—it could be altered to fit me, but that wouldn't be cheap; I could get it repaired but not altered but may not have the auction canny to make even that worthwhile. But I can't really bear just doing nothing with it. Any thoughts?

This wasn't precisely thrifted and it's in pretty bad shape on the inside (and sleeves), but it's still pretty cool (the pants are in fine shape):

The deal with the sleeves is that some maniac decided that since he couldn't shorten the sleeves, he'd just take the buttons off, fold them over, and cross-stitch them in place.

By "not precisely thrifted" I mean that it was just … outside, hanging on a railing on the sidewalk.

Zerase

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so I know this isn't really what this thread is for, but I'm kind of at a loss for what to do with this—it could be altered to fit me, but that wouldn't be cheap; I could get it repaired but not altered but may not have the auction canny to make even that worthwhile. But I can't really bear just doing nothing with it. Any thoughts?
It is neither a black suit nor a tuxedo but some mish mash. As classic menswear goes that thing is useless. As a hip jacket for a younger "cooler" crowd, it might work. I, personally, would not wear it.

ORLThrifter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quick stop at a charity shop today. I never expect anything from this place, but every now and then, it pays dividends. Sorry for the quick pics.

Recent label Zegna Multiseason fabric Tux (keeping for personal). $5 got the tux, 2 bow ties, a pair of silk Trafalgar suspenders attached to pants, and the Saks hanger! Gotta love those donors.
20200923_180648.jpg

And finally popped on non-tie Drake's for the price of a heavily worn Stafford.
20200923_180744.jpg

the2ndhandman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Take it back outside and hang it back up.

Centaurus3200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I needed a thrift fix. I hit 8 stores today. in 3.5 hours including driving like 60 miles. It was sadly very underwhelming.

I live in the San Francisco Bay area. I hit towns you'd think would cough something decent up. Walnut creek, pleasant hill, Alamo. Nada! Well, I did buy a Briggs and Riley BBW4X computer bag for $2, but hardly worth the effort.

Anyway, since the restart after the lockdown, the pickings have generally sucked ass. Here's my baseless pontification on the subject.

The major thriftgasms generally come from either old people, or Rich people... Or old rich people. Well, old people are retired and have always had spare time to go through their crap to thin the herd, pandemic or not. And now they are more reticent to go out and risk infection. So basically, either they've steadily been donating for years or they are holding off due to the pandemic.

And if we're taking donations after a death in the family, we'll that's the same as it ever was as well.

Rich people... I mean rich enough to where the wife is a kept woman (yeah, i know, sounds sexist). Point being she has aways had spare time even before the pandemic to unload donations. Nothing new there. ****, with home schooling, now much less time.

So what does that leave us? What's behind all these huge piles of recent donations? Mainly, the common schmuck. On one end, they are working from home, so they can take a break and go through their clutter. But we ain't talking loro piana, Isaia, etc. We're talking old navy, forever 21,faded glory, etc. They are generally not fashionistas. They just need clothes.

On the other end, you have the recently unemployed. If they have anything of value they ain't donating it, they're Flipping it. And to that point, they're also hitting thrifts looking for a side hustle to make ends meet on the interim.

And lastly, volunteers and social distancing. It's understandable that folks aren't willing to risk infection to work for free. And as far as bins are concerned, there's easily 40% less bins on the floor at any given time to adhere to protocol.

Anyway, that's my totally unresarched opninion as to why we got dry balls out there!

Last edited:

ATLjon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone else not thrifted once since the pandemic started? No? Just me? I just sit here and by tie lots from Linda to flip to keep myself vaguely sane. It's brutal. If one of you guys wants to live stream your thrifting adventures on Twitch I'll totally watch.

Yup. Haven't been to a thrift since early March.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads