• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Guitar Preacher

Reaction score
I know you already have a lot to read there but if you’re into that stuff and haven’t read it yet, I highly recommend ‘The Silk Roads’ by Peter Frankopan. It’s a sort of history of worldwide humanities through the eyes of Central Asia and the Middle East. Dense as hell but wonderful.

I have wanted to find modern books on anthropology but didn’t know where to turn so I actually really appreciate the recommendation.

dadjeans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
was geeked to see this in my local goodwill and on half off day? sadly should have checked the inside the arm hole lining is detached and needs to be resewn but for 2 bucks cant be mad.
View attachment 1437578 View attachment 1437579 View attachment 1437580
then some wings and horns cords made in japan
View attachment 1437581 View attachment 1437582
If you're handy with a needle and thread that lining issue is an easy fix. Even if you're taking it to an alterations place, it should be quick and cheap. Don't let that little issue get in the way of celebrating a grail find!

sandfourman

Reaction score
If you're handy with a needle and thread that lining issue is an easy fix. Even if you're taking it to an alterations place, it should be quick and cheap. Don't let that little issue get in the way of celebrating a grail find!
sadly not my size just gonna put it up on the bay as is

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fake?

7A359EC0-6FFA-41E3-9844-19CEBEBA5976.jpeg

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On a grey and rainy winter's day in the middle of an iso lockdown, I headed to the PO to send a parcel. While I was there, I was told that there was one waiting for me, from Japan. This could only be my long-awaited Covidmas parcel from @Thrift Vader. I raced home (as the law requires me to do), gloved up and set about opening it. (I am the impulsive type, not given to excess caution, and I figured that even the hardiest bugs would have frozen their arses off during their lengthy voyage in a ship's hold).

20200808_110018.jpg

Given Vader's predilections, could this huge box be a car, folded in expert origami fashion? One can always hope, although I'm not allowed to drive anywhere anyway, other than to the local shops.

20200808_110232.jpg

20200808_110346.jpg

A beautiful postcard, with a lovely note. Once I share the contents, the answer is yes, this will bring me some joy. And very nice of Vader to include something for my wife.

20200808_110411.jpg

My first look inside.

20200808_112315.jpg

A gorgeous kimono made (I think) of a heavy silk fabric. No labels, so I'm guessing hand-made. This was a wow, and my wife think it's the perfect colour for me; I have grey-green eyes and, sadly, an abundance of grey hair.

20200808_110633.jpg

One thing I asked for was a hat that I can wear to the local blues festival (cool hats are de rigueur). This was an excellent choice, and will be a perfect fit. Sadly it may have to wait until 2021, as this year's festival will almost certainly be cancelled. :(

20200808_111022.jpg

Sunvalley summer shirt. This outrageousness is just my style. Haven't checked it for fit yet; I will wash it first, but it looks pretty right.

20200808_111737.jpg

Isolation survival kit. Vader can't have known in advance, but masks have just been made mandatory here, and there is an acute shortage of the fabric ones, so these are very welcome. I think the toilet roll is a joke, but the supermarket panic buying is back here since the re-imposition of lockdowns, so it might actually be handy. The paper planes, coffee mug lid, coasters and bottle opener are all going to get a workout while we are stuck at home. The two jazz records look cracking, but I don't have a turntable. My brother is a jazz nut, and one day maybe we will be allowed to visit him and finally hold his planned Grange Hermitage opening party and play these records while we sip several vintages of Australia's greatest red wine.

20200808_111623.jpg

Some very cool accessories. I'm guessing Tokyo 2020 Olympics memorabilia is going to become pretty collectible. (Maybe Vader should put this in his museum thread). Cath Kidston bag and new Fendi scarf for the wife. Yoshida Porter wallet for me.

20200808_113732.jpg

The Fendi scarf.

20200808_114936.jpg

Kurata two-tone art glass platter. Hard to do this justice in a photo; it's very striking.

20200808_111850.jpg

Lots of Japanese snacks 'n' sauces. It's going to take me a little while to figure out just what some of these are. Fortunately my sister-in-law speaks Japanese.

What a great way to brighten up a dull, dull winter's day in a town where all the op shops are closed and we can't go outside except for essential reasons. Due to unavoidable delays, I think this shipment took the longest of any of the Covidmas parcels, but it was certainly worth the wait! Thanks to @Thrift Vader for his thoughtfulness and generosity.

Stay safe and healthy, all of you.

Zerase

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Watching you unpack that made me super exited for Christmas and my debut in the thrift gift exchange. Already thought of a present that money cannot buy, a secret recipe handed down from my grandmother...
Now, can this ************* virus gtfo of our lives so we can start doing fun things again!?

San780

Reaction score
I picked up this jacket while thrifting and cannot seem to find any tag whatsoever on this apart from the one showed below. I know it’s hard to have any idea of the manufacturer of this jacket with just this tag but I’m wondering if any kind soul here would please help me out? Thank you vemuch in advance!

04AC65B1-2961-4A43-A702-B5244C3B9722.jpeg
222DD67A-4E21-47A2-BA55-AF67A9AD1834.jpeg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads