• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

aragon765

Reaction score
@Thrift Vader cuz he would appreciate this

Took a while but finally finished the thrift bike I found. Tuned it up and many parts later... she’s alive!

View attachment 1434530 View attachment 1434531

Cool bike, and nice work on refinishing it, but the seat binder is on backwards - the bolts should face the rear of the bike. That will make it ride a bit better as now the seat is 3-4" forward of where it should be ... it was surprisingly hard to find an image of what I mean (hopefully its obvious from my description), but see this:

1596649129298.png

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Funny bike story...

Had some high blood pressure readings a couple months ago, and the doc ordered a low sodium diet and more vigorous exercise than walking the dog.

So I got ahold a my buddy who said he's been riding his bike a few times a week to see if he needed a riding partner. He said yes and told me he would let me know when he went out again after he returned from vacation. So I tuned up my cheap-ass thrifted 18speed Huffy Savannah hybrid bike and waited. A couple weeks ago he dropped me pin and we met up. I should have known better when I saw him load up his monster $1400 trail bike and helmet, and he should have discouraged me when he saw mine.

We headed out to the state park. I have been there often, hiking on the horse trails, and assumed that was where we were riding and knew it would be a decent challenge. We turned off on a road I had never been down, parked the car and prepared for adventure.

At first the trail was nice, a wide, grassy dirt access road, which I now realize was probably for the ambulance. About 50 yards down the trail he made a 90* left turn onto a little side trail and said "Let's start with this easy one"...I said "Ok" and foolishly followed.

Then the bottom dropped out. I was headed down a 30* decline full of hairpin quarter-pipe turns and moguls. Then came the logs 4" to 18" in diameter. I stopped and carried my bike over those. Then there was a rather large mogul that took up the whole trail so I had no choice but to go over it. When I did, I got a little air. When I landed the fork twisted one way and the tire went the other....so the bike went one way, and I went the other. The bike crashed off the trail into a downed tree and I landed, somehow, on me feet in the middle of the trail. The crash broke my shifting cable so I instantly lost 15 of my 18 speeds, making it pretty much impossible to peddle the climb back up to the main trail again.

Miraculously I was uninjured and live to tell the tale of the most terrifying 4 minutes of 2020 so far.

Turns out my blood pressure was probably only elevated due to trouble breathing while wearing a mask at the doctors office. I've been testing it daily at home and it has been pretty much perfect. Still sticking with a lower sodium diet though, after several weeks of eye-opening nutrition label reading. Waiting for my buddy to call again when he's up for a road ride.

Last edited:

silverwarebandit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cool bike, and nice work on refinishing it, but the seat binder is on backwards - the bolts should face the rear of the bike. That will make it ride a bit better as now the seat is 3-4" forward of where it should be ... it was surprisingly hard to find an image of what I mean (hopefully its obvious from my description), but see this:

View attachment 1436489

Oh what! Good to know. I'll adjust accordingly. Thanks!

@Letric do it man. I'm already looking for another one to restore. Maybe a 14 speed hybrid.

My Main Man

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funny bike story...

Had some high blood pressure readings a couple months ago, and the doc ordered a low sodium diet and more vigorous exercise than walking the dog.

So I got ahold a my buddy who said he's been riding his bike a few times a week to see if he needed a riding partner. He said yes and told me he would let me know when he went out again after he returned from vacation. So I tuned up my cheap-ass thrifted 18speed Huffy Savannah hybrid bike and waited. A couple weeks ago he dropped me pin and we met up. I should have known better when I saw him load up his monster $1400 trail bike and helmet, and he should have discouraged me when he saw mine.

We headed out to the state park. I have been there often, hiking on the horse trails, and assumed that was where we were riding and knew it would be a decent challenge. We turned off on a road I had never been down, parked the car and prepared for adventure.

At first the trail was nice, a wide, grassy dirt access road, which I now realize was probably for the ambulance. About 50 yards down the trail he made a 90* left turn onto a little side trail and said "Let's start with this easy one"...I said "Ok" and foolishly followed.

Then the bottom dropped out. I was headed down a 30* decline full of hairpin quarter-pipe turns and moguls. Then came the logs 4" to 18" in diameter. I stopped and carried my bike over those. Then there was a rather large mogul that took up the whole trail so I had no choice but to go over it. When I did, I got a little air. When I landed the fork twisted one way and the tire went the other....so the bike went one way, and I went the other. The bike crashed off the trail into a downed tree and I landed, somehow, on me feet in the middle of the trail. The crash broke my shifting cable so I instantly lost 15 of my 18 speeds, making it pretty much impossible to peddle the climb back up to the main trail again.

Miraculously I was uninjured and live to tell the tale of the most terrifying 4 minutes of 2020 so far.

Turns out my blood pressure was probably only elevated due to trouble breathing while wearing a mask at the doctors office. I've been testing it daily at home and it has been pretty much perfect. Still sticking with a lower sodium diet though, after several weeks of eye-opening nutrition label reading. Waiting for my buddy to call again when he's up for a road ride.

RE: eye-opening nutrition label reading. Holy **** I’ve been doing the same lately. Was going to have some ramen for lunch the other day and saw that it would be almost half the recommended daily sodium. Needless to say, I’ve been eating more and more fresh fruits, veggies, and meats.

Related good news:long story short, heart disease runs in my family. My grandpa had 4 heart attacks because of abnormalities in his heart and eventually died because of it. My dad and grandpa both had bicuspid aortic valves (two cusps instead of 3) and both had to have open heart surgery when they were in their 40s/50s. I’ve been worrying about my heart for about 20 years but kept avoiding getting it checked out because ignorance is bliss or something. With baby #2 coming, I decided it was finally time so I had an echocardiogram and just got the results back. I have a 100% perfectly working heart with no abnormalities at all. I don’t think it’s possible to explain the relief I feel right now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics