• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hooker4186

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was super stoked to get home a pair of Carmina boots that I e-thrifted. Was not as excited when I saw the sole. My cobbler though that I should return them. Too bad as they fit pretty well and the uppers are in nice condition. Thankful I live in the woman hating country Sweden ( ;) ) where all returns are always accepted, even second hand items if bought through a company.

You could resole, but those uppers are shot - those cracks in the leather in the first photo (right by that big crack in the sole) are only going to get worse.

Zerase

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I could resole yes, but that would be too expensive according to the cobbler. And yeah that crack might be a bit too bad as well. These were bought from the SkoAB, affiliate of the forum, about 3-7 years ago. I really don't understand how you can buy expensive shoes like this and then don't give a **** about taking care of them.

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I could resole yes, but that would be too expensive according to the cobbler. And yeah that crack might be a bit too bad as well. These were bought from the SkoAB, affiliate of the forum, about 3-7 years ago. I really don't understand how you can buy expensive shoes like this and then don't give a **** about taking care of them.

If you can afford one of these new, the tendency is you buy multiples so you don't have to give *****. Rich people problems.

Zerase

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it is more that the previous owner didn't appreciate them. Even if I was rich enough to buy a new pair of Carmina boots every winter, I would still take care of them. Guess the previous owner just saw them as things he wore on his feet and not something he could have for decades. Anyway, us thrifters love these kind of people, albeit people that are not as reckless as this guy.

impuntura

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Before and after quick polish 2.99
IMG_20200708_153137.jpg
IMG_20200708_153145.jpg
IMG_20200708_153213.jpg
IMG_20200708_165016.jpg
IMG_20200708_165038.jpg

Centaurus3200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thrift fit for the 4th outside the USS Hornet. I'm refraining from thrifting right now... So all I can do is play with the **** I already have ;-)

1964 Ralph Edwards G-1
My dad's utility cap from the Korean War
Art-Craft Clubman SuperLight frames
Taylor Stitch cone mills selvedge
Older US made American Apparel chambray
Old US made Eddie Bauer belt
Allen Edmonds Key Largo boat shoes- I have some Wolverine 1000 mile boots, but it was hot and I was trying too hard as is.
FB_IMG_1593912895453.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads