• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Basso

Reaction score
Hey all! It's been a while since I posted, but due to of my own boredom during Covid, and discovering a huge cache of cool **** up at my extended family's cottage in Georgian Bay, I figured I'd start posting again!
First up, a collection of my grandparent's straw hats from the 50's and 60's! I did some major repairs on two of them this past week. Turns out it's pretty easy to pull em back together if you just follow the already-made holes in the straw. The last two photos are one of the hats in action!
handwoven hat 1.jpg
handwoven hat 1.jpg
handwoven hat 2.jpg
Straw Hat - Red Brim.jpg
Straw Hat .jpg
straw hat 5.jpg
straw hat 4.jpg
straw trilby.jpg
straw hat 2.jpg
straw hat.jpg

Attachments

• handwoven hat 3.jpg
    handwoven hat 3.jpg
    278.6 KB · Views: 0

Basso

Reaction score
Up next is the most unreal collection of vintage art supplies I've ever come across. You guys post lots of art, so I figure you'll like this stuff too! Guys, the quality is unreal. Almost all of it is over 50 y/o, all in incredible condition, and all made in the US, England, Germany and Japan. The water-colours haven't cracked, and the pastels are still sticky and soft. Even the oil paints are still usable! Included as well is a very cool folding artist's chair that my grandad used for water-colour painting, and a beautiful handwoven basket that I keep it all in.
When I'm up next, I'll grab some photos of the vintage sable brushes.
Art Books.jpg
Basket W Art Supplies.jpg
Basket.jpg
Oil Paints 1.jpg
Oil Paints 2.jpg
Oil Paints 3.jpg
Paint trays.jpg
Pastels 1.jpg
Pastels 2.jpg
Pencils.jpg
Seat 2.jpg
Seat 3.jpg
Oil Pad.jpg
Watercolour Pad 1.jpg
Watercolour pad 2.jpg
Watercolours 1.jpg
Watercolours 2.jpg
Watercolours 3.jpg

Basso

Reaction score
Finally, some personal projects I'm working on, and some funky old things. The story goes that my grandparents and great grandparents would go to Indigenous craft fairs every summer in the area, and pick up the most beautiful pieces. The leather pieces here are Indigenous-made, and unbelievably, the leather is still supple and uncracked.
The knives you see are fish knives: the stubby one is for scaling and the long one with the bone handle (first pic) is for gutting. The small knife has tools for cutting sailing rope, and for punching holes and undoing knots.
The Hawaiian shirt was my father's when he was a tyke. It's selvedge, block printed and made in Hawaii. If it was my size, I'd be wearing it all the time.
Finally, the pair of scissors is one of a number of pairs I discovered while rummaging around the place. They're incredible: made in germany, and able to come apart, I'm hoping to restore them with some oil and polish. If anyone has any tips, I'd love to hear them!
Fish Knife.jpg
Kids Hawaiian.jpg
Knife Case.jpg
Leatherman & Case.jpg
Sailing Knife.jpg
Scaling Knife.jpg
Wallet.jpg
Scissors 1.jpg
Scissors 2.jpg

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: you folks are the single great influence I've had for the appreciation of old things. I wouldn't have any knowledge of why any of this stuff is special w/o y'all. Many thanks, and stay safe out there!

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

330CK

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Quick note, guys: I know we treat this thread as respite from woes of society, but I love this community so much that I want to briefly break my silence. We all know what’s going on the world right now. I’m glad no inflammatory remarks have been made about it, and we usually do an okay job of extinguishing any negativity in the thread, but I just want to offer my services. If anyone ever says or does anything to offend you or who you are as a person and you don’t have the energy to handle it yourself, feel free to PM me and I will have the chat with that person. If that person still doesn’t learn, I’ll hack the gift exchange messages, find their address, and kick their ass for you. Or if you’re just in a weak place spiritually or mentally right now and need someone to talk to, my PMs are open to that, too.

Now back to the thrifts.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Up next is the most unreal collection of vintage art supplies I've ever come across. You guys post lots of art, so I figure you'll like this stuff too! Guys, the quality is unreal. Almost all of it is over 50 y/o, all in incredible condition, and all made in the US, England, Germany and Japan. The water-colours haven't cracked, and the pastels are still sticky and soft. Even the oil paints are still usable! Included as well is a very cool folding artist's chair that my grandad used for water-colour painting, and a beautiful handwoven basket that I keep it all in.
When I'm up next, I'll grab some photos of the vintage sable brushes. View attachment 1401090 View attachment 1401091 View attachment 1401092 View attachment 1401094 View attachment 1401095 View attachment 1401096 View attachment 1401097 View attachment 1401098 View attachment 1401099 View attachment 1401100 View attachment 1401101 View attachment 1401102 View attachment 1401093 View attachment 1401103 View attachment 1401104 View attachment 1401105 View attachment 1401106 View attachment 1401107
Finally, some personal projects I'm working on, and some funky old things. The story goes that my grandparents and great grandparents would go to Indigenous craft fairs every summer in the area, and pick up the most beautiful pieces. The leather pieces here are Indigenous-made, and unbelievably, the leather is still supple and uncracked.
The knives you see are fish knives: the stubby one is for scaling and the long one with the bone handle (first pic) is for gutting. The small knife has tools for cutting sailing rope, and for punching holes and undoing knots.
The Hawaiian shirt was my father's when he was a tyke. It's selvedge, block printed and made in Hawaii. If it was my size, I'd be wearing it all the time.
Finally, the pair of scissors is one of a number of pairs I discovered while rummaging around the place. They're incredible: made in germany, and able to come apart, I'm hoping to restore them with some oil and polish. If anyone has any tips, I'd love to hear them! View attachment 1401111 View attachment 1401112 View attachment 1401113 View attachment 1401114 View attachment 1401115 View attachment 1401116 View attachment 1401119 View attachment 1401117 View attachment 1401118
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: you folks are the single great influence I've had for the appreciation of old things. I wouldn't have any knowledge of why any of this stuff is special w/o y'all. Many thanks, and stay safe out there!
Bathe the scissors in WD-40. Then clean with brake cleaner and oil the pivot point.

I think you owe us a painting.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Quick note, guys: I know we treat this thread as respite from woes of society, but I love this community so much that I want to briefly break my silence. We all know what’s going on the world right now. I’m glad no inflammatory remarks have been made about it, and we usually do an okay job of extinguishing any negativity in the thread, but I just want to offer my services. If anyone ever says or does anything to offend you or who you are as a person and you don’t have the energy to handle it yourself, feel free to PM me and I will have the chat with that person. If that person still doesn’t learn, I’ll hack the gift exchange messages, find their address, and kick their ass for you. Or if you’re just in a weak place spiritually or mentally right now and need someone to talk to, my PMs are open to that, too.

Now back to the thrifts.
Same.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads