• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Guitar Preacher

Reaction score
I’m always fooled by this Flusser label ?
B0CC444D-409E-4E1E-A6A4-BC7426BFEA2E.jpeg

Sartoriamo

Reaction score
The things we learn: I was hitting the 70% off consignment sale and grabbed this cummerbund because it looked cool. I'd never seen one like it. As I was checking out, a lady started going on about some islands near Panama and how this was somehow related to them and had a story.

2-15a - 1.jpeg

So I researched, and well, it turns out that this was made using a form of reverse appliqué developed by the Guna people of the San Blas Islands off the coast of Panama. It was originally based on the way they painted their bodies back in the day before the missionaries started making them wear clothes. "The Cuna are famous for their bright molas, a colorful textile art form made with the techniques of appliqué and reverse appliqué. Mola panels are used to make the blouses of the Kuna women's national dress, which is worn daily by many Cuna women. Mola means "clothing" in the Kuna language". Here they are (picture by Yves Picq):

1582074116985.png

"The Cuna have been staunchly resistant to Hispanic assimilation, largely retaining their dress and language". Well, good for them.

So now the second part of the story.
2-15a - 2.jpeg

This NM piece is marked with the signature of Laurice Keyloun, who had a custom boutique in White Plains, NY in the latter half of last century. At one point, she journeyed to the San Blas Islands where she worked to support and promote the Mola fabric art of the Cuna Indians, and no doubt this piece is a result of that.

Anyway, there's your trivia for today. I have never had an occasion to wear a C'bund, but I'll probably keep this for when that day comes, just because I love stories like this. It's all part of "this thing we do".

Last edited:

Woofa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I thrifted another pair of gokey this past week. This makes three separate pair in the last few months. All different and from different thrift stores.
18908F6B-F858-4946-8A2D-8FC490BADFF8.jpeg

these things are tanks. The leather is absurdly thick and the only thing I can compare it to was when I handled Viberg boots for the first time. As per what I read online I bought some Obernauf and have now applied two coats over a few days And they look great and I feel like they could handle almost anything.
i will definitely be keeping my eye out for more, mayhaps some boots will also be forthcoming from the thrift gods. If you see a pair of these, give them a try.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn that's a ******* score @Fueco !

Also does that tag say Feb 21?... So that's how we're meant to only be able to find **** like that huh? Time travelling into the future and bringing back thrift scores.

I think they mean ‘week of 2/21’. I have to assume I got there minutes after they put it out. The same store routinely prices beat up hiking boots at $40, so they blew that one. This certainly made my four stop quick thrift run worthwhile.

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The things we learn: I was hitting the 70% off consignment sale and grabbed this cummerbund because it looked cool. I'd never seen one like it. As I was checking out, a lady started going on about some islands near Panama and how this was somehow related to them and was quite unique.

View attachment 1339536

So I researched, and well, it turns out that this was made using a form of reverse appliqué developed by the Guna people of the San Blas Islands off the coast of Panama. It was originally based on the way they painted their bodies back in the day before the missionaries started making them wear clothes. "The Cuna are famous for their bright molas, a colorful textile art form made with the techniques of appliqué and reverse appliqué. Mola panels are used to make the blouses of the Kuna women's national dress, which is worn daily by many Cuna women. Mola means "clothing" in the Kuna language". Here they are (picture by Yves Picq):

View attachment 1339545
"The Cuna have been staunchly resistant to Hispanic assimilation, largely retaining their dress and language". Well, good for them.
Been there...
CE73C297-B0E9-41AF-B748-F64563510907.jpeg
D359D4F6-A300-4A4F-92F5-4B95D1F7752C.jpeg
A42EBEA4-7128-43DC-81F0-2792182A1298.jpeg

drlivingston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads