• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
preemptive mediation

GUNS

TRUMP

POTS AND PANS

carry on

Preemptive Meditation

lama-head-bowed-photo-credit-NewBuddhist-1024x675.jpg

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
^ @HansderHund I continue to be simply amazed by the volume and variety of quality merchandise you find with great frequency on your thrift outings. Absolutely extraordinary. Are you in a very exclusive demographic like the Austrian equivalent of Long Island (edit: Oyster Bay, LOL, thanks everyone) or San Fran? Your careful curation for photography is also exemplary. I have enough trouble finding the time to just sling my hauls on a white table!! So thanks. Always eye candy.

Meanwhile, out in Sun City West, and from an estate sale listing:

"Wheel chairs. Scooter. Walker. Shower chairs. Blood pressure machine. Oxygen tubing. So so much. Something for everyone." Wheeeeee . . .

^^^^Various posters above: LOL, thanks for helping me be more precise with my language. I meant where Spoo kops his thrift hauls. Boston used to be another good spot. Also, Greenwich, CT, though I haven't thrifted either in years. And I have a couple hidden honey holes in the OC that always deliver (TWSS also true). But overall? Needles in haystacks most places. I was wondering how that worked out in Austria. Hans' posts always have a consistency of quality that's hard to replicate most places in the US. And, when I thrifted my home town in Scotland during a weekend back there last year, I hammered through 20 or 30 of these little tiny "charity shops" they have over there and it was slim pickin's indeed, despite an upscale demographic . . . Anyway, hence the question . . .

For starters, that's incredibly kind of you to say! I love seeing what is posted here, so it especially pleases me to know that what I post is appreciated as well.

I'll do my best to offer some insight and perhaps take away some of the mystery. Many of my thoughts on it are merely that, just opinions without hard data to back it up.

I live in a small town, so travel is involved in finding stuff for the most part. I wouldn't say that I live in a place that gives up things like LA or NYC. Having thrifted in both cities, what I find simply can't compare. The overwhelming majority of stores are sized between tiny and small. If one is used to a typical Goodwill, a thrift store here would be downright shocking. I walk away from a store empty-handed fairly often, unfortunately.

If you keep up with a lot of my posts, a lot of brands will be missing. I rarely post a haul of recent Loro Piana, Kiton, Saint Laurent, or some other brands. It can all be found, but often in dribs and drabs rather than with consistency or in piles. Locally, Brioni, Incotex, Cucinelli, and a host of other brands are offered at a few places though there aren't thousands of people lined up to buy them. However, if I use Vienna as an example, most brands will be well represented. Vienna has a high-end shopping district that would be on par with Bond Street of Fifth Avenue.

I tend to buy what I personally like and allow that to shape what I sell. I like old private-label stuff when it still meant something. You know, when stores put their name on a garment and you knew that it would be high quality because it was made for that store. I also buy what is local. In the '80s and '90s, everyone owned Carrera sunglasses and Adidas clothing. Both companies manufactured in Austria, so it was abundant.

On the CM side, there are very few brands that I have NOT found at least once. Streetwear stuff is more challenging to find and also far more surprising when it is found. That said, there are a few specific items that I'm a bit surprised haven't been checked off of my list.

Here are a few examples of things I'd like to find and would have expected by now:

- Alpina M1 sunglasses
- Cazal 968 (Donnie Brasco)
- Bally leather weekender
- Ludwig Reiter outerwear and/or shell cordovan belt
- Tom Ford tailored clothing
- CP sneakers

In a nutshell, thrifting here is like most places I've experienced: hit or miss; sometimes there's competition and sometimes not; prices can be dirt cheap, reasonable, or high.

From the most recent post, most of those things were found in cities of less than 20,000 people. I've been surprised to find E. Marinella and Hermès ties, a Stella McCartney purse, and other niche/luxury items in small towns in the middle of nowhere.

As for the photography, you're way too kind! I throw things on the floor in groups that I try to form from the chaos: outerwear, shirts/sweaters, shoes, small goods, etc. I try not to add too much fodder unless it's interesting, and I try not to overwhelm with label shots outside of being able to ID the brand.

Thanks again for your compliments! I'm happy to know it's appreciated! For what it's worth, I appreciate everyone that posts and shares information on here. I started to list everyone, but the list was getting out of control and I know I'd mistakenly leave someone out.

I thought he was in Germany or some neighboring country?

Ha, that's exactly how most people view Austria!

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I went to see the Hundertwasserhaus on a recent trip to Vienna we walked past what looked to be a cool thrift shop. It made me think of this thread and was tempted to walk in, but unless I was looking for personal use, I wouldn't know what I was looking at unless it was cookware.

dadjeans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For starters, that's incredibly kind of you to say! I love seeing what is posted here, so it especially pleases me to know that what I post is appreciated as well.

I'll do my best to offer some insight and perhaps take away some of the mystery. Many of my thoughts on it are merely that, just opinions without hard data to back it up.

I live in a small town, so travel is involved in finding stuff for the most part. I wouldn't say that I live in a place that gives up things like LA or NYC. Having thrifted in both cities, what I find simply can't compare. The overwhelming majority of stores are sized between tiny and small. If one is used to a typical Goodwill, a thrift store here would be downright shocking. I walk away from a store empty-handed fairly often, unfortunately.

If you keep up with a lot of my posts, a lot of brands will be missing. I rarely post a haul of recent Loro Piana, Kiton, Saint Laurent, or some other brands. It can all be found, but often in dribs and drabs rather than with consistency or in piles. Locally, Brioni, Incotex, Cucinelli, and a host of other brands are offered at a few places though there aren't thousands of people lined up to buy them. However, if I use Vienna as an example, most brands will be well represented. Vienna has a high-end shopping district that would be on par with Bond Street of Fifth Avenue.

I tend to buy what I personally like and allow that to shape what I sell. I like old private-label stuff when it still meant something. You know, when stores put their name on a garment and you knew that it would be high quality because it was made for that store. I also buy what is local. In the '80s and '90s, everyone owned Carrera sunglasses and Adidas clothing. Both companies manufactured in Austria, so it was abundant.

On the CM side, there are very few brands that I have NOT found at least once. Streetwear stuff is more challenging to find and also far more surprising when it is found. That said, there are a few specific items that I'm a bit surprised haven't been checked off of my list.

Here are a few examples of things I'd like to find and would have expected by now:

- Alpina M1 sunglasses
- Cazal 968 (Donnie Brasco)
- Bally leather weekender
- Ludwig Reiter outerwear and/or shell cordovan belt
- Tom Ford tailored clothing
- CP sneakers

In a nutshell, thrifting here is like most places I've experienced: hit or miss; sometimes there's competition and sometimes not; prices can be dirt cheap, reasonable, or high.

From the most recent post, most of those things were found in cities of less than 20,000 people. I've been surprised to find E. Marinella and Hermès ties, a Stella McCartney purse, and other niche/luxury items in small towns in the middle of nowhere.

As for the photography, you're way too kind! I throw things on the floor in groups that I try to form from the chaos: outerwear, shirts/sweaters, shoes, small goods, etc. I try not to add too much fodder unless it's interesting, and I try not to overwhelm with label shots outside of being able to ID the brand.

Thanks again for your compliments! I'm happy to know it's appreciated! For what it's worth, I appreciate everyone that posts and shares information on here. I started to list everyone, but the list was getting out of control and I know I'd mistakenly leave someone out.

Ha, that's exactly how most people view Austria!
I prefer to imagine that you put on a Holland and Holland shooting jacket and Ludwig Reiter boots every morning to waltz into the town square with your Airedale. There, as the church bells sound 10 o'clock, a bevvy of maidens appears and treats you to a performance of traditional song and dance. While this goes on, the townspeople line up to bring you vintage sunglasses, leather goods, outerwear, schnitzel and pastries in exchange for a few Euros and a chance to pet the dog. He, of course, remains charmingly ambivalent to the whole ordeal.

kbadgley84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer to imagine that you put on a Holland and Holland shooting jacket and Ludwig Reiter boots every morning to waltz into the town square with your Airedale. There, as the church bells sound 10 o'clock, a bevvy of maidens appears and treats you to a performance of traditional song and dance. While this goes on, the townspeople line up to bring you vintage sunglasses, leather goods, outerwear, schnitzel and pastries in exchange for a few Euros and a chance to pet the dog. He, of course, remains charmingly ambivalent to the whole ordeal.
Loooooove schnitzel. We had an awesome German restaurant here that closed down a while ago that had some awesome schnitzel

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would assume that happens too. Hans just left it out of the description because it seems so mundane to him.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After the fact, yes. lol.
Keep on scrolling man. Everyone misses a fake now and then - live and learn - don't let it make you a crank..
I wouldn't mind so much if it weren't for the piling-on and the incredible negativity. How many times does somebody post finding Cleverleys, Common Projects and a recent Zegna in the one outing? Yet not one positive comment on that, all you people cared about was that I missed a label. I rarely have a day out that good, and yeah I'll get cranky if people have nothing to say about it but snark.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads