1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

The Official Thrift / Discount Store Bragging Thread Part III (Sept. 2018 - )

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, Sep 9, 2018.

1. impuntura

impuntura Distinguished Member

I was wondering when ur gonna comment on it.
    It's 42 regular ,if it fits you hit me up and we can trade for something

2. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Good memory. Very close but not the same. Sold it, miss it. Loved it.

Its probably gonna be a keeper man. Its bananas. you dont clean it.

3. Bon Vivant Life

Bon Vivant Life Senior Member

pm'd you, fits like a large

4. Nataku

Nataku Distinguished Member

Haven't really seen that up here (maybe once in a blue moon, but not often enough for me to really take notice), but I witnessed this in LA over Christmas. "Whoooa....Screen Stars, bro!" :sarcasm:

5. noob in 89

noob in 89 Distinguished Member

upload_2019-1-17_21-12-10.jpeg

Ehhhhh....Benny Fazio! HBO was very randomly generous with this guy last week.

Spoo running into TV stars doesn’t surprise me; I want to know how they were in the same store and...figured it out later? (I think someone already said; I forget).

Who pays up for Screen Stars, though? I see a lot of them that are cool as hell, but I literally couldn’t give most of them away (here).

Mostly they just seem to tip you off that something better could be coming up in the aisle.

7DB7D16F-1AED-484B-90E1-5F6F674AB215.jpeg

Just found.

8B317CBD-48FA-4461-B6BB-69F38246BF5D.jpeg

Also, I want to go back in time and tell Jerzees to just put their damn retro-futuristic scrawl on the front of their shirts and shit would be cool and worth a mint.

6. eazye

eazye Distinguished Member

7. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I could see the otherwear from here working:
    [​IMG]
    What is that thing with the green shawl lapels. I mean, really, what is that?

8. Pyrrhomaniac

Pyrrhomaniac Senior Member

You should post some of the crazy shit you decided to keep over the years. Also, that D&G and 100% a keeper. I'd fucking love to rock that shit to some stuffy wine tasting event. I try to get super loud when it's out of court, because why the fuck not?

9. Dirt

Dirt Distinguished Member

But that’s not even Screen Stars tho, bro! lol

10. impuntura

impuntura Distinguished Member

he was great on ray Donovan recently,almost didnt recognize him except for the voice clicked.

11. carreragt7

carreragt7 Senior Member

Anyone recognize the maker of these boots? They were giving me a bit of an Ann Demeulemeester vibe but of course the insoles were ripped out. True thrift so not out a lot if nothing special.
    45B91183-9B40-4656-9532-632F7534BC02.jpeg E6A0D88A-D283-4236-94B9-049983D99262.jpeg E5E1A307-5AD3-4577-A1B8-6AF15E422741.jpeg

12. noob in 89

noob in 89 Distinguished Member

upload_2019-1-17_22-53-37.jpeg

This one! EDIT: Whoops, yeah, that’s something else. :embar:

Are you guys grabbing the screen stars?

(I meant to say it was pretty mind blowing to hear there’s a David Allan Coe biography and that I’m going to hunt that one down post haste).

EDIT 2: I’m behind on Ray Donovan. This is great news.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019

13. Dirt

Dirt Distinguished Member

Yeah, but that one in the pic I quoted is BEST by Fruit of the Loom, right? Looks super close to the SS tag and is still one of the best 50/50’s out there. I don’t grab anything solely based on the tag but SS tees always get a closer look from me.

And yes, the DAC book is actually an autobiography, so in his own words. And he does the reading himself on the audio book, which is on YouTube in several parts. It’s a great listen.

14. Chotii

Chotii Senior Member

BTW if any of you gents run across cutter-grade black, gray (any shade), white,, or dark red 100% cashmere knit objects - solid or in designs like argyle, Nordic or (this is a far fetched wish) stars....I'm making a patchwork project. I do not want to cut up any Cuci. Or, you know, Hermes. Or anything with a name that makes your heart stutter when you find it (unless it has a whopping great hole in it and you can pick it up for a couple bucks.) Will reimburse + shipping. I need another 5-8 sweaters in a mix of those colors.

Found nothing today. Yesterday a Trina Turk bright print tunic top. These sell consistently. Call it "fodder".

15. Sartoriamo

Sartoriamo Senior Member

I don't normally spend time looking at sunglasses – as it's all China, China, China, much like Alfani, Stafford, Saddlebred – but every so often a pair that I see in passing practically yells at me to instakop. And so it was with this pair:
    fullsizeoutput_8cd.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_8cc.jpeg fullsizeoutput_8ca.jpeg fullsizeoutput_8cb.jpeg
    I've worn regular glasses my whole life, so sunglasses have never been on my radar, and therefore I don't know a lot about them. But as far as I can tell, these are Oakley X-Metal Juliet (1999? but please weigh in), so a decent kop for six bucks, looking at the resale values.

So couple questions for the Oakley experts: these are built like a tank, with really solid metal, but I notice everything on the frame is a bit flexible or "loose". Yet it looks as though all the parts and refurbishment kits/services are readily available. How much "flex in the system" is normal for these? Is is better to refurb? Or sell as is?

Edit: damn, all of a sudden I see why the thread sunglasses mavens are so hot on it. These things have stories . . . Some research suggests that these Oakleys were made famous by Eric Bana in Black Hawk Down.

Bana.png

The ones he's wearing are in, I think, a TiO2 finish, and have a straight ear stem. The polished finish, that I picked up are the only model of the Juliet that has a hammer stem.

Too cool. THat's what I love about thrifting. Always learning new stuff.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019