• We would like to welcome American Trench as an official Affiliate Vendor. American Trench is a Philadelphia based outerwear, apparel, and accessories brand, making all of its products in the United States at (mostly) family owned factories. . Please visit the American Trench thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

dadjeans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Serious question: do we see that buffalo sweater as cultural appropriation? Or appropriate to wear in 2022?
One one hand, it's a depiction of an Indigenous person produced by a non-Indigenous brand for profit. The graphic turns indigeneity into a product for you to consume and some folks in your community will likely find that offensive.

On the other hand, I see it as an expression of admiration for Indigenous cultures, celebrating themes of freedom and harmony with nature. It's also presumably a hand-knit sweater which isn't exactly something an exploitative brand churns out to maximize their profit margins. It's a beautiful piece, crafted in admiration. It's the same sort of thing Ralph Lauren has done his whole career.

You can also take into account that it's got south-western vibes and is produced for an American brand. The conversations around cultural appropriation, reconciliation, land claims and Indigenous welfare issues aren't necessarily the same in America as they are up here.

I wouldn't wear it myself but I also wouldn't have a problem with someone else wearing it proudly.

Featured Sponsor

What's Your Favorite Summer Shoe?

• Loafers

• Boat shoes

• Espadrilles

• Sneakers

• Desert Boots

• Sandals

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members