• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any of you guys collect cards? Been getting back into basketball cards lately after collecting as a kid in the 90s. Also Garbage Pail Kids a little bit.

Seemed like it might be the kind of thing thrifters would be into, just curious! Rifling through a 30 year old pack looking for a rare card feels not unlike flipping through a rack looking for a Kiton suit or cool vintage tee.

Also remembering unopened boxes of cards I’ve seen at thrifts over the years and wishing I’d picked them up.

Last edited:

thebuddahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any of you guys collect cards? Been getting back into basketball cards lately after collecting as a kid in the 90s. Also Garbage Pail Kids a little bit.

Seemed like it might be the kind of thing thrifters would be into, just curious! Rifling through a 30 year old pack looking for a rare card feels not unlike flipping through a rack looking for a Kiton suit or cool vintage tee.

Also remembering unopened boxes of cards I’ve seen at thrifts over the years and wishing I’d picked them up.

I’ve been doing a fair bit of Pokemon card e-flipping over the course of the pandemic. Prices are absolutely insane. I’ve kept a select few myself for nostalgia purposes.

bldngwrdrb

Reaction score

Started selling my own old Mutant Chronicles CCG (doomtrooper, dark eden) and started keeping a look out when thrifting for those and other CCG.

Gave away my best of above mentioned and all my magic previously, when more well to do, to some happy randoms after failed sale attempt at gaming venue, perhaps a bit unnecessarily. The receivers were happily surprised though, so there is that.

bldngwrdrb

Reaction score
Found Bonaveri bust 20€ on FBmp
20210128_123826.jpg

sushijerk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I actually see a lot of sports cards at the salvation army in nyc but never picked any up. I just have no nostalgia for it and don't have any sports knowledge. If I ever found any of those Marvel trading cards from back when I was in hs that would be a different story.

I gave a huge amount of Magic the gathering cards to my gf's little brother when I went off to college. Those are worth a car or two now.

dadjeans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've still got my childhood hockey and baseball cards out in the (winterized) shed but they're all mass-produced early 90s stuff and virtually worthless AFAIK.

Clearly I should've collected Magic or Pokemon cards instead.

MJMcRibb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't really collect anymore but sports cards was all I spent my money on as a kid in the early 90s. Once I had a little disposable income, I bought some vintage cards in lower grades/condition of stuff I dreamed of as a kid. Vintage stuff has gone crazy in the last few years and it turned out to be a pretty good investment.

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Salvation Army stores in my area suck balls. My mother used to antique hunt at the Salvation Army in the Bowery when I was a kid. That place was a gold mine and probably still is

Last edited:

Jackstraw001

Reaction score

I started collecting baseball cards as an elementary school kid in the late 70s and built up a pretty nice collection through the 80s. Spent all my allowance, holiday and odd-job money buying cards from the 50s/60s/70s at card shops and shows. I have accumulated a bunch of old school stars like Hank Aaron, Mickey Mantle, Jackie Robinson, Willie Mays, Yogi Berra, Carl Yazstremski, etc. and have a number of cards going back to the 1910s-1920s as well. They all stay locked up in a safe these days, not sure of the value but really doesn’t matter as I don’t plan on ever selling. Value in sports cards is kind of a fickle thing from what I’ve seen. More recent issue “limited edition” sets and rookie cards, particularly basketball cards, have way more value that the 60-70 year old baseball cards I have collected. I did it for fun so value has never really mattered that much to me.

freehand

Reaction score
Still in lockdown in the UK so just done a bit of eBaying. Took delivery of 4 pairs of shoes today that I did a deal on: back row are Ede and Ravenscroft patent and Meermin. Front are both Lobbs. All in good condition, but I don’t think they’ve ever seen a shoe tree.
5E926B80-52FC-42D3-9309-DF2EF9CAA8B8.jpeg

A&S two piece. Jacket is sold.
8266CEFE-0DC3-4321-A037-7E583A4320B2.jpeg
B4E36DB2-2501-4626-B540-40A696ECBEC6.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads