• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yessir!

Where the hell were you eating at?

:laugh:

IMG_9760.JPG

I wish. Nah, they were at a good old fashioned estate sale that wasn't advertised online. We saw the sign on the way to dinner and somehow convinced my wife to stop since we had a little extra time. I was banking on the place being cleaned out since it was about a half hour until they closed, but it turns out they didn't do any advertising besides some signs around the neighborhood, so these were sitting back on a shelf caked in about 2" of dust with a slight dusting of mice turds on the turntable for good measure. :laugh:

IMG_9762.JPG

IMG_9763.JPG

IMG_9764.JPG

IMG_9765.JPG

IMG_9766.jpg

IMG_9767.jpg

IMG_9768.jpg

kbadgley84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yessir!

View attachment 1409218

I wish. Nah, they were at a good old fashioned estate sale that wasn't advertised online. We saw the sign on the way to dinner and somehow convinced my wife to stop since we had a little extra time. I was banking on the place being cleaned out since it was about a half hour until they closed, but it turns out they didn't do any advertising besides some signs around the neighborhood, so these were sitting back on a shelf caked in about 2" of dust with a slight dusting of mice turds on the turntable for good measure. :laugh:

View attachment 1409219

View attachment 1409220

View attachment 1409221

View attachment 1409222

View attachment 1409223

View attachment 1409224

View attachment 1409225
Oh damn Brazilian steakhouses are fuckin awesome! We used to go to one in Orlando called Texas de Brazil. So fuckin good

330CK

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Yessir!

View attachment 1409218

View attachment 1409219

View attachment 1409220

View attachment 1409221

View attachment 1409222

View attachment 1409223

View attachment 1409224

View attachment 1409225

congrats on the 124. insane! it working?

sheik yerbouti is a v well recorded, great sounding album. the joes garage set available?

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh damn Brazilian steakhouses are fuckin awesome! We used to go to one in Orlando called Texas de Brazil. So fuckin good

Yes! This is one of our favorite restaurants. We were so excited to hear they opened back up again.

congrats on the 124. insane! it working?

sheik yerbouti is a v well recorded, great sounding album. the joes garage set available?

Thanks! I haven't a clue yet. I saw it, saw the Thorens barely visible underneath all the dust and just made an offer on the spot, in "as-is" condition. They accepted so quick, I probably could have gotten away with less! Hah, I didn't even realize it was a 124 until I got home. I know nothing about these, besides the fact that they are one of the holy grail Thorens tables.

On that subject, I am cleaning this up as we speak and this thing has a freaking wooden tone arm!! Is this standard on this model?

IMG_9772.jpg

Oh, and yes, the Joe's Garage set is available.

330CK

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Yes! This is one of our favorite restaurants. We were so excited to hear they opened back up again.

Thanks! I haven't a clue yet. I saw it, saw the Thorens barely visible underneath all the dust and just made an offer on the spot, in "as-is" condition. They accepted so quick, I probably could have gotten away with less! Hah, I didn't even realize it was a 124 until I got home. I know nothing about these, besides the fact that they are one of the holy grail Thorens tables.

On that subject, I am cleaning this up as we speak and this thing has a freaking wooden tone arm!! Is this standard on this model?

View attachment 1409231

Oh, and yes, the Joe's Garage set is available.

Pretty sure that’s a Grado tonearm—def interested in that too if you end up parting it out.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
There are always a lot of cool sunglasses found and posted in here, but I thought that these are quite interesting actually. I was telling @flipstah and @SpooPoker that I goofed and left them because they didn’t have any of the known markers I’ve experienced when researching Bausch & Lomb Ray Bans.

They are aviators in 12K gold filled frame with lenses that appear to be G15 lenses, but when I looked closer...there was no BL engraved anywhere on the glass lenses. Also, with vintage aviators...I was familiar with the brow bar on the top being engraved “B&L RAY BAN USA” and the underside of the brow bar usually had information about gold plating and size etc.

Long story short is that I got home and had a bunch to do before deciding to do a bit more research. I was shocked to realize they were a very early model of Ray Ban aviators and could range from 1937 (which is when Ray Bans were commercially started) and early 1950s. I am not an expert but I do quite a bit of research on vintage sunglasses and have never seen Ray Bans with these kind of nose pads or ear pieces. They are Bakelite and the top brow bar is only engraved RAY BAN. No B&L anywhere on the frame except very small on the back of the nose pieces. So at latest age, these are at least close to 70 years old and one of the very first production runs of aviators ever. Same pair worn by General MacArthur and probably just after the original WW2 models of B&L glasses.

View attachment 1408990 View attachment 1408992 View attachment 1408993 View attachment 1408999 View attachment 1409001 View attachment 1409003 View attachment 1409004 View attachment 1409005

madethelist.gif

Item no.9 "perfect early aviators". well done sir.

Sartoriamo

Reaction score
Went to a nearby town for an errand. It's a very low-key town, largely blue collar & full of tweakers, and the GW there has never given up anything worthwhile. Just rows of Stafford, Towncraft etc. So I rarely bother going in. The demographic just doesn't support what we normally look for. Well, they just moved into a new and much bigger building and told me that since the local donations don't support the store's size, they are having a truck come in from the Phoenix warehouse. Here was Tuesday's one-stopper (which here, is also old-fart discount day). Not fantastic, but many steps up from all prior visits . . .

Biryani: left another two that were too dated. This one's a 38 short.
6-20 - 4.jpeg
6-20 - 5.jpeg

And here is episode 496 of "always check the women's section", with two men's coats: Tibbett Montgomery
6-20 - 2.jpeg
6-20 - 3.jpeg

And, I didn't even know Missoni made cashmere overcoats . . . Super-high walking pleat.
6-20 - 6.jpeg
6-20 - 7.jpeg
6-20 - 8.jpeg

PRL
6-20 - 9.jpeg

St. John
6-20 - 10.jpeg

Couple of Etons and three ****** seersucker . . .
6-20 - 11.jpeg

Cowichan labeled "Hand Made".
6-20 - 12.jpeg

NWOT BBRF Harrington
6-20 - 13.jpeg

****** shoes and Docs
6-20 - 14.jpeg

And this thing: brand new, sealed box. Who does that?
6-20 - 1.jpeg

PPU $7. Well OK, then, I might have to add that store to my circuit.

JChong8

Reaction score
View attachment 1409337

Item no.9 "perfect early aviators". well done sir.

I am honored Vader haha. The joke is that I left them and had to go back the next morning for them. I was so mad because I thought they would be guaranteed gone. Left the store at 2:00 pm on the Thursday and went back Friday morning at opening. Aviators were still on the "costume jewelry" section of sunglasses along with all the other free beer dollar store pairs. They didn't have any Ray Ban etched on the lens and the engraved RAY BAN on the top of the frame was not that easily visible. Score.

Meanwhile another location is asking $40 for some Luxottica RB aviators...
A11035CB-B1BE-431C-A656-EBC3B13FF3FF.jpeg

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A few recent things...

Their shop is closed until further notice, but Melanzana had a lottery for purchasing online. I won the other day. These just came today. Not a thrift, but $8.50 for shipping is a whole lot cheaper than driving up there.

4F7214A5-3E60-4F80-80DD-A39266C89454.jpeg

Consignment shop find, Patagonia R2

5DF83143-6E72-46A9-B715-3A3F7A21A8F0.jpeg

Thrifted unopened electric toothbrush. A keeper for sure.

9165D4C2-34C4-4899-B2F7-46288068C0FC.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads