• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

impuntura

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Live shots
IMG_20180914_113151.jpg
IMG_20180914_113147.jpg
IMG_20180914_113130.jpg
IMG_20180914_113049.jpg

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks! The first day of the sale is over and was a success. Sales in the semi-low 4 digits. I am hoping for high 4 digits for the whole sale. I don't think we will make it to 5 digits, but if we repeated yesterday all three days we might! The best part of the whole thing?

When it is over the house will be EMPTY!

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Many of us go to estate sales as well as thrift stores. Sometimes people watching at Estate sale is half the fun. But, this time I am on the other side. Its weird.

Estate sale observations from the other side of the table:

1. You don't want to go to your own sale if you are sensitive to other peoples opinions.
2. Strange people go to estate sales. I knew that before, but this time these strange people were touching my stuff. It was odd.
3. People buy the strangest things. One lady bought a big box of envelopes. She negotiated a discount because 1/3 of the envelopes were sort of stuck closed from the humidity. I would have thrown away the envelopes, but the estate sale guy priced them at $3 and took $1.50 as an offer.
4. People are pigs. They try clothes on and then just throw them down if they don't want them.
5. Regardless of how cheap something is, some people will try to offer 10% of the asking price.
6. Some people were sneaky trying to lie about what something was priced.
7. Some things were priced WAY more than I thought they should be and many of them sold the first day.
8. Hartmann luggage does better at estate sales than it does on ebay!
9. People are pigs Part 2. A guy knocked over a set of shelves in the garage that caused a chain reaction and knocked over a bunch of stuff. He looked at me (thinking I was just a customer) and said, "well that wasn't very safe" and then he went in the house. He wasn't embarassed. He didn't say anything to the guy running the sale. He just moved on. I cleaned it up.
10. Other than the obvious things I was about 60% wrong about the things I thought would sell on the first day.

I did liberate a couple of things from the sale that I didn't know I had or didn't know were for sale.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody's other half need a barbour?
View attachment 1035757

@Nobleprofessor
So what your saying is you were thrifting your own sale.

Sort of. I didn't have to pay for them! :) I pulled out two books that I didn't want to sell, a bottle of Saphir Reno Mat, a gift my brother gave me that I need to have at my house when he visits, the amazon firestick that was on my TV, a tie I swear I have never seen before, and it was a little hot so I pulled out one of my short sleeve golf polos and changed out of my OCBD.

While I was there somebody got a hell of a deal on a Stetson Open Road that was in the original box. Apparently, it had not been priced and the estate sale guy told the customer it was $35. I had been looking for it 5 minutes before to make sure it was priced a lot higher. But, I didn't say anything. $35 is better than nothing and I didn't want to be questioning every price.

matty long legs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One find today. Doubt I'll ever find bespoke but I'm more than happy with RTW because it fits perfectly. Rubinacci by Belvest.

**** pic, but it's the perfect Nantucket Red with 3/2 roll, dual vents, patch pockets and spot-on shoulders.

F8B9840C-32F7-43F3-924B-2D02A6EF41E3.jpeg

D7EECC54-134F-40F9-B8B9-E27EDD1439B5.jpeg

Letric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thrift Theory Discussion:

Most of us kinda have routes... stores we really like, stores we don't like, etc. What makes a bad store? Are there stores you just plain don't visit anymore because of poor performance? Or do you knowingly go to poor performing stores time in, time out for those rare times that they produce?

For me personally, a bad store is one that doesn't get enough donations. If the racks are pretty bare and the same stuff's been sitting for weeks then I typically won't visit more than once a month if I happen to be in the area. Another would be stores in fairly low-rent areas. If the store only hits 1/10 visits, and that 1 time is only a marginal kinda score.. then I start writing that location off my list.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thrift Theory Discussion:

Most of us kinda have routes... stores we really like, stores we don't like, etc. What makes a bad store? Are there stores you just plain don't visit anymore because of poor performance? Or do you knowingly go to poor performing stores time in, time out for those rare times that they produce?

For me personally, a bad store is one that doesn't get enough donations. If the racks are pretty bare and the same stuff's been sitting for weeks then I typically won't visit more than once a month if I happen to be in the area. Another would be stores in fairly low-rent areas. If the store only hits 1/10 visits, and that 1 time is only a marginal kinda score.. then I start writing that location off my list.

I think the harder thing is when I visit one of those crappy poor performing stores and they have some great stuff because then I have to put it back in the rotation. I had a DAV like that. The employees sucked, it was dirty, and the prices were very often too high. Then, I go in to give them one more chance and they have 3 pair of Crocket Jones, 3 Oxxford suits, a Shott leather jacket and 5 ray bans. It was a great find, but then I can't pass the place up and nothing good shows up again for weeks!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads