The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

I used to run into the problem with bag checks when I bike commuted everywhere. Any time I was harassed, I would look at the employee and say, "Is it worth it to your company to lose a $300 sale from me to ask me keep my bag at the register?" No? "How about a $25 sale?" If the employee persisted, I would walk out the door.

Of course, I wasn't trying to make money flipping stuff at the time, so I wouldn't have been super-motivated to buy whatever I was after at that particular time. But it's a tactic I would certainly try now, along with pointing out the fact that I've spent many thousands of dollars at the store.

2. dadjeans

dadjeans Senior member

Unfortunately that's Coppley, not Samuelsohn. They're similar tags and both Canadian, just to add to the confusion. You can look up the CA number here or the RN number here if you're ever in doubt.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015

3. Cj52racers

Cj52racers Senior member

The crazy thing to me is how disconnected GWs are in general. There's little rhyme or reason from one to the next. There's one here that I spend thousands in. They know what I am doing, but they also know it benefits them. If I want a hangar, I ask the manager and he normally will just toss it in free. He will bargain with me on shit in the case, you name it. He understands how much money I bring.

Five miles away is another GW I spend nearly the same in. They would fight me for a penny I found in a pocket.

Also, it appears @BarrelsWifey is a saint. That looks excellent

4. DapperE

DapperE Senior member

Drizzy they are just jelly that you love what you do. Finding grails that make us SF gang melt in desire, whilst they hate what they do to earn a living. Keep on keeping on!

5. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

I would recommend doing this only if you want to see the store jack its prices.

6. SomethingsFishy

SomethingsFishy Senior member

This.

Also, be sure to (loudly) ask him why exactly he thinks you'd bother stealing when you just dropped his entire paycheck on a single shopping cart.

7. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Forum Mechanic

This.

8. futuremyth

futuremyth Senior member

Regardless of whether they're being pricks (which it sounds like they are), there are no style points to be gained by flexing on people making minimum wage.

9. Bahljs

Bahljs Senior member

Sure there is....................^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

10. Thrift Vader

I can see where you are coming from. but several members are below the minimum wage when you leave out their flippings. dudes work hard for their money. taking their income into their own hands. so it's sink or swim. and if a shlub wants to accuse a customer who drops hundreds of being a thief? they need a good talking to. by you, or their manager.

The secret is out. anyone buying a rack of ties is going to flip them. some staff will have reservations about that. when it is not their choice who pays money to their bosses.

no downward flexing by a man who is doing his day job to make ends meet. when some body wants to be an obstacle.

- My how i have changed.....

11. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Senior member

Thanks everyone, appreciate the feedback. Ive definitely wanted to bring in every receipt i have from value village and ask them why they think I would steal. Unfortunately im rather passive and like to live life under the radar and not make enemies. I plan on doing this for a long time, so I absolutely could drop the " I spend your whole paycheque on carts of clothing", but id rather send them a passive fuck you by just doing me and give them my bag to show them that I actually dont steal.

12. futuremyth

futuremyth Senior member

I agree, all I'm saying is that there are plenty of ways to address this without bringing some Glengarry Glen Ross, "this watch costs more than your car," attitude into it.

13. Thrift Vader

100%

Only douches do that.
    respect the man for doing his job. and incur wrath on him for not respecting you for doing your job. [​IMG]

because hey, if our watch costs more than their car? it was funded by this very shop. (among others) let's not forget we are picking through leftovers for meat.

14. white collar

white collar Senior member

I would talk to the manager and explain how much you love the store and how hurt you feel over the incident. They'll talk to the employee for sure and once they see how much you spend he'll most likely get chewed out. This whole story is very surprising to me, I've only met one employee who doesn't like me, the rest are thrilled I spend so much, a few even give me discounts.

15. eazye

eazye Senior member

Yea, it doesn't matter if you are a minimum wage earner or not. A paying customer does not deserve that kind of treatment, regardless if it's the GW or the Hermes store.