The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

I know what your are refering to. These don't have the cross woven details on the heels. I think these are a different model. But i also think these might be buttero but not sure which model. Maybe these are diemme and not bv? Either way, these are pretty quality especially with the margom soles. Long time no see. How the heel are ya?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
  2. freehand

freehand Senior member

Not found a great deal this week.

A few ties (3 for £5):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1961 bespoke shawl collar dinner jacket by Hawkes & Co, Savile Row. Built like a tank, heavy barathea, 42R ish. Really good condition for over 50 years old.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And some nice old shoes trees for my Church's

[​IMG]

3. vexco

vexco Senior member

I know this isn't the Givenchy I want, but I couldn't really leave it behind.

Cream colored, flat-front pants, dual exhaust and old as hell. Oh, and it's a 3 piece.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Tony Pea

Tony Pea Well-Known Member

Some stuff from yesterday. N/A unless yah really want something

Oxxford ca$h

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Interesting..BB for the navy NWT
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

VV Buffalo Wings
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Polo Golf wool hounds tooth trousers with nifty hip pocket.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

I'm sorry this happened.
    I understand exactly where you're coming from about being irritated by misperceptions and inaccuracies.
    But there's right and then there's winning. Sometimes they're not the same thing.
    Be winning.

There are so many people in the world who labor under completely false understandings of fact. Happens on this thread all the time -- there's a whole meme I don't feel like looking up right now with a guy hunched over his computer because he wants to correct something on the internet. Futile, right? Why do you think the outside world is any different?
    Trust me, I got into the same trap this weekend with my brother in law. And it's not worth it.

Disagree.

See above.

If I were still a 42 you'd have about 8 PMs from me right now.

6. richnet12

richnet12 Senior member

Jompso, there is no end to my thrifting screw ups from buying fake goods out of ignorance, to asking dumb questions on the thread over and over, but if I had this Knowledge Box TM two years ago I would not have had ask so many questions.

The box is simply a three dimensional old school approach to learning, it's certainly not in the same class as the School of Jompso, but it's a thrifters 101 course in basics.

Please don't be laminated.

7. Woofa

Woofa Senior member

Jdrizzy, sorry to hear about you having that problem. One of the things that I have found since I started thrifting is that while 90% of the people that work at these stores are very cool, once in a while, you will get one that just seems to not understand what it is their doing everyday. I mean, lets face it, your selling used clothing and other stuff that people donated to you for free to raise some money for charity (or for profit in some instances.) Why do some of these people come up with such attitudes? I think they are just unhappy people who have found a job where they can intimidate most of the shoppers who, at least in my area, happen to be poor and often don't speak the language very well. I no longer even question when some of these stores mark up RL and similar to the point where you could buy it new in TJ Maxx for a few more dollars, I just be happy that none of them ever heard of Oxxford and Hermes and that the dressier menswear section is usually all but abandoned. I mean who do they think is shopping in these stores? I understand that some few people here and there make a living doing this but we know that it is hard work even for them and that for most thrifters it is nothing more than a hobby where maybe they make a few bucks and pay for their own clothing. I have to admit that I feel a little crappy when I walk out of a store with an Oxxford SC that I paid for with a coupon for $5 and that I plan to sell for ten times that amount and I waited in line behind a poor woman with three screaming kids who obviously does not speak english and is buying clothing for her family. Having said that, the kinds of things I am buying are not going to families like that anyway and as far as I know, my purchase is going to make someone a better life in some way, a win/win for everyone.
    I remember when I first started doing this I was in a privately owned thrift store (I understand some chains do not allow this,) and they had some nice pants hangars I really wanted to add to my closet. After speaking to a clerk, I finally spoke to the manager/owner and I could not convince them to even give me a price when I offered not only to pay for the hangars but to also replace them with brand new cheaper hangars so that they could hang their clothes. I mean come on, you run a business here right? At least quote me an outrageous price for the two dozen hangars that were made to hang $500 pants and that you are using to hang pants that retailed for $10 fifteen years ago. Things like this never cease to amaze me. Of course, I also never understand it when I go to somewhere like Goodwill, a store whose main mission is to help train people for employment and nine out of ten employees cannot even work the register. Personally, as much as I like shopping the goodwills, I think they have become confused as to their purpose and in some instances the managers get power hungry and make decisions and price items in a way that makes no sense for anyone. And I don't have any doubt that there are many out there that know that we are thrifters and hate us for taking items out of their store with the intention of making a few bucks. Why should they even care? Hell, if I owned a thrift store which raised money for charity I would come to these forums and encourage as many peolple as possible to come buy everything they could for whatever the price. Moving merchandise is the best way to make money. At least down here in Dallas, suits and sport jackets (not counting the very highest level which people like us spend alot of time making sure we find,) can sit on these racks for years before anyone buys it.
    STUPID, STUPID, STUPID!!!

Okay, now I have ranted as well. Sorry and go on about your business.

8. barrelntrigger

There are so many reasons why i don't feel bad for exploiting big for profit thrift chains like goodwill. One of those reasons is that i like to think flipping their shit is like giving them the finger for how shitty they treat their employees, sometimes, their customers, and for their business model. Selling shit you've gotten for free and still have the nerves to tell people you are nonprofit. Fuck you very much.

9. barrelntrigger

Oh, forgot to add after i got home and got out of my work out session, my wife made dinner. Delish!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

@Woofa, 100% agree...

I think the average shop would do better sales with lower prices anyway. Time after time, I see and hear people complaining about prices. Meanwhile, I sped thousands of dollars per month to hopefully make a few thousand. I don't normally point out the error of their ways.

I picked up a Spoo & Sons hanger at a local charity shop last week. I asked the cashier if she would sell it to me. She gave it to me for free, recognizing that having goodwill towards a regular customer is better than nickel and diming them. She also liked my story of the friend who is in the 'menswear industry' who wanted it.

11. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

What is this piece of gorgeousness, and is it available?

12. Letric

Letric Senior member

Brodeetz on that meat. Pork Loin?

13. Bahljs

Bahljs Senior member

Last year I asked a store manager at GW if I could buy the entire rack of ties they had out... and he denied my offer. I was stunned. I wanted to be like, "like you don't have 1000 other ties back there you could put out here."

14. Letric

Letric Senior member

Yep... thrift staff / pricing can also piss me off sometimes. I won't go into a huge rant, but like...

- You seriously can't sell me 2 hangers off the racks because you "Need them for hanging merchandise" ? ... When you have a whole fucking section of hangers for sale over in the housewares? This is almost always at Goodwill. They've become so corporatized and money-hungry. Their pricing is rarely consistent, and they just keep going up.

or

- "We price everything as is, and can't really negotiate prices of things with you, sorry"..... So you actually saw the huge rips and holes in this Pendleton shirt, and priced it at $25? [​IMG]

15. eazye

eazye Senior member

Drizzy, fuck that, if they don't have a policy of bag checking at that spot, just go in there as normal and if dude gives you a hard time again, threaten to call the police on him for harassment.