The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Senior member

Don't lie, a pop up knowledge book would have been sick. I feel like the box doesn't offer a comprehesive enough look into it. [​IMG]

2. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

nice stuff today:
    Probably the last of this donation, but will still go by every day to make sure.
    Ballantyne and Kitty
    [​IMG]
    Just some money
    [​IMG]
    double r and cashmere mani
    [​IMG]
    amazing ferragamo pebble grain
    [​IMG]
    some custom shirts with very cutaway collar that fit very well
    [​IMG]
    my first Astor & black worth picking up, wish I found the pants, super 150s
    [​IMG]
    It's been sooooooooooo long, I'll take Gianluca.
    [​IMG]
    AE Chester
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015

3. silverwarebandit

silverwarebandit Senior member

Jompso - the Engineered Garments jacket is the Truman (looks like the fabric is uniform serge). Damn nice haul.

4. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

How do you fire an individual based on their ability to read and comprehend nonsense. I see wins and I see losses and I see references. I also see a box of Carrot Top props. I surmise it's a reference guide with corresponding individuals to clarify any discrepencies in their specified area of expertise. I got a better strategy, just learn it. I did that one. Cuz a list and a box of shit is just gonna be a crutch like an open book test, take the time and school yourself, it's how you win.

5. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

Those surpassed Cutaway like 45 degrees ago...those are called Shark Collars....just fyi

6. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

Thank you sir... yea that thing is fucking gorgeous, and never worn.

EG Serge wool is usually firmer than this although I do believe you are correct.

7. My Main Man

My Main Man Senior member

In-jokes from the thread.

[​IMG]

The Knowledge Box has been talked about for the past 2-3 months in this thread.

8. Cj52racers

Cj52racers Senior member

9. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

I have a sport coatable bondage lang orphan from Natalya nataku. That thing is pretty sweet.

That Tom ford selvedge denim is a win but i can't help but to think he doesn't bring anything new to the denim game. Like it's great to own a tf piece and selvedge to boot but i don't think denim heads are his targeted audiance. I mean i rather spend about 370 on a pair of S510XXGA 25 oz. Than to spend 600 on a pair of tf.

10. double00

double00 Senior member

well, not to sharpshoot but i'll offer a knowledge (tm)...

it's first name Wilkes, last name Bashford. Wilkes Bashford.

and that sc is pretty darn recent. a few years ago WB was independent, insolvent, and frankly lucky to find a buyer in Mitchell Stores.

just a little friendly info.

not everybody has access to shell, hermes, etc. but if it does come up in their neck of the woods, they'll have a leg to stand on. not a crutch.

11. Letric

Letric Senior member

12. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Senior member

Alright, I really need to talk to you guys about this one. Commencing cheesy highschool type shit.

So i've been doing this full timeish for the last year and a half. I've become rather familiar with most of you guys, but unfortunately, most stores see me in a different light. When I go shopping, I don't go empty handed, I keep a big adidas bag with me because I don't drive, and I subway everywhere (I don't particularly enjoy carrying bags in both hands which would make my life a pain in the ass). In it is a water bottle / extra battery, general miscellaneous items to keep me alive throughout the commutes. Because of this bag, i've come under the surveillance of managers/workers and general employees of the store. I understand that having a big bag is sketchy in the eyes of lost and prevention, but for fuck sakes, don't passive aggressively roll a cart up to me every time I walk into a store and tell me " its store policy that everyone with a bag has to use a cart to shop", when CLEARLY I can see atleast 5 people with bags shopping without a problem.

Last week on Friday, I was leaving a regular store ( which I have already been feeling a bit hated on already), when someone called out from behind me. It was an employee that kept screaming "hey Big guy, you know what you did". At this point, I turned around confused as hell as I thought he was messing with me, the guy was wearing a girls outfit for halloween as he's the typical jokester in the store. So I kept walking, laughed behind my back and said "later".

The weekend was dreadful, I overthink like crazy, and thought "wtf, did he think I just stole something?". I went back on Monday, and asked the guy what he meant by that. He kept saying " hey man, theres honest shoppers here, and there are dishonest shoppers here, I didn't call you out, but if you're stressing over this, I don't know why you would be if you were honest". This fucking pisses me off, you called out my character last week and insinuated that I was a thief.

That's like falsely accusing someone of a crime and not expecting to feel hurt about it. Expecting to just be like " yeah, I know DEEP DOWN I didn't shoot that guy, but everyone else thinks I did, that is good enough for me" Fuck no, i'm going to prove my innocence and i'm going to do it until you believe me.

I keep pushing him on to why he would say that, he just keeps repeating himself and doesn't give me a straight up answer. I look desperate to prove my innocence because that's just the type of person I am, I explain that I come here so often, and spend literally thousands of dollars at this store monthly with the receipts and documents to prove it. He replies with " Man, alot of people here are regulars, if anything it makes it easier for them to steal because were not looking at them as hard". WTF kind of logic is this, employees SEE me rolling up with carts full to the registers and drop sometimes hundreds a day this store.

I ask him if really thinks i'm stealing, to please check the cameras, I sound desperate as fuck at this point, but its me trying to push my innocence, who wouldn't. I'm fucking livid at this point. Why are you trying to slander my name to everyone when you have no proof. P.S I don't fucking steal, that is not who I am, that is not what I do. I'm known for being a complete pansy when it comes to this stuff. If there is any sign of risky behaviour, I am the first one out of there.

When I push for the cameras, he says " man, the fact that you're telling me to check the cameras might mean something". Yeah... that I didn't do anything. That's literally what i'm doing, i'm trying to show you that I don't steal. What kind of robber goes up to the bank manager and says, "you missed it when I stole cash from you guys, please check the bank cameras".

I can't talk to this guy anymore, its a stupid cycle of logic at this point. Here's the situation, this is pretty much my life atm, I do this full time, I've sacrificed a bit to do this full time and I am happy with what I do, but honestly, it feels like shit when people don't know where i'm coming from. I just want to find sick grails and finds and brag about it in this thread.

This store is absolutely killing me mentally, it's a struggle for me to even go into the store without getting a bit upset. Frenchy has met me, I just walk around with headphones on and walk the racks like any other person ( I haven't made much effort in getting to know the workers names, but maybe I should).

I'm not really sure whose going to read this, or if any of you even give a shit, but I just wanted to rant to people that understand where i'm coming from.

Sorry about the long text guys, just pissed as fuck.

P.S i'm going to start leaving my bag at the front of the store.

13. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

I see the Asian ocd is strong within you, bro. XD
    I think leaving the bag at the front is a great idea. I had to do that every time i go to thrift town. I hate passive aggressive bullshit. Look on the bright side, bro. You are flipping for a living while he works at goodwill dressing like a girl. Yerrrrrr

14. vexco

vexco Senior member

Tell em to fuck off.

15. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

Wilks and Bashford sounds better, but thank you for dating that, I thought it was actually on the opposite scale due to the Brioni Roma lining. Second, I thrifted 2 pairs of shell, black and color 8 AE LWB's, same trip, same stop, same day, and those are the only pieces of shell I have come across in a year of thrifting. Unrelated, I wear almost exclusively shell, LWBS or Boots, and always Alden, for about 4 or 5 years now, however I paid retail, but I didn't pay retail not knowing what I was buying, I knew damn well what i was buying, far before I ever came in contact with it. My point is, is that you can ask for some fucking fish, or you can realize you gotta learn to catch em. Crutches, legs, wheelchairs, stilts, those are all support systems that hinder those from truly motivating themselves to learn everything they can. Relying upon yourself for knowledge is key because this reliance results in motivation to learn quicker, more thoroughly, and retain what you learn. I haven't asked a single person a menswear thrift related question from the first step I took into a thrift store a little over a year ago, and haven't to this day. Others do as you please, but personally, I'm extremely grateful for the path I took. I appreciate you trying to clarify the stance of others, I just happen to be a stubborn motherfucker.