The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Senior member

I posted one in shitty condition, but someone posted the same size one in brown (size 3 large)

2. Cj52racers

Cj52racers Senior member

3. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Senior member

Imagine someone swooped that up while you took the photo

4. Letric

Letric Senior member

I'll re-post my technique from awhile back:

And the link to that post: http://www.styleforum.net/t/480919/...i-return-to-the-thunderdome/8115#post_8026007

I should mention... Using the abrasive (Green) side of the sponge... Spray the sponge with Oxy, and really scrub the sole edges with that. The sole edges will almost always come back to pure white / cream if you scrub hard / long enough. You can use the abrasive side on the leather uppers too, but be gentle with it.

Also, new laces really make a difference. I go with a 45" flat athletic lace. $2.49 at my local grocery store.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015

5. bboowwyy

bboowwyy Senior member

Thought this was Rick when i saw it on the rack;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Letric

Letric Senior member

^ I've never known how to pronounce that name... "Spi-tall Fields" ?... "Spittle Fields" ?

Snapped a quick thrift-ish fit yesterday. Moving into my Fall wardrobe. Starting to get colder and wetter here in the PNW. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Damnit, that one longer sweatshirt sleeve bothers me. Forgot to cuff that or something.

- Barbour "Border" Jacket, the good Made in England stuff. Thrift.
    - The West is Dead marbled Grey loop-back cotton thermal sweatshirt. Copped this NWT from Buffalo last winter. Think I traded 2 J.crew shirts for it.
    - Unbranded 201. Thrift-funded.
    - Red Wing 1907's. Thrift funded, but they weren't cheap. 1907's hold their value well, and are semi rare. Was happy to get these like-new, shipped for $190.
    - Not seen: Filson wide Brown bridle leather belt. True thrift.

So that Barbour jacket was the one I mentioned awhile back. I still haven't attempted to clean it. That was the first Barbour jacket I've seen at a thrift, so a big POP. The fit is a little big on me... Really wish it had a cinch-waist cord. The sleeves are also a little short. However, it's not bad for what I paid. A good beater rain coat, until I cop a Filson Cover Cloth Mile Marker. The pockets are seriously fucking huge, and then inside it has 2 more gigantic pockets. When I grabbed it, there was earplugs and shit inside the pockets, so I assume it was a sportsman's. There was also the original care manual inside, and a fresh tin of Barbour wax!

Overall condition of the jacket is great... No fraying or holes, or serious wear. Only issue is the blood-spatters on the lower back, but I think those add "character". [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2015

7. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

You're right about the IT/EU to US sizes....the rule of 10 is easy to remember and pretty much accurate for smaller sizes. Since it's based on a rough conversion of cm to in, the larger the size the further away from the rule you get. Here's a good thread on the topic: http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/forum/showthread.php?48883-European-suit-sizing

8. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Thanks Hans! Good read, and bookmarked for future reference.

9. colco

colco Senior member

No, as in the pants are 30" across so a 60" waist. Haven't even looked at the jacket sizes.

And thank you!

10. turkey_sandwich

turkey_sandwich Senior member

@SpooPoker, in need of your expertise. Any quick way to verify whether a Gucci bucket hat is real or fake?

11. Doomsticks

Doomsticks Senior member

Some finds from this week.

[​IMG]
    Ethrifted this one for my gf, cost next to nothing. My gf's reaction was.."meh..." So I guess I'll find a better one. Gf that is. Edit: Forgot to mention, helmut Lang 1997 windbreaker.

[​IMG]
    A.P.C navy cotton pea coat, my size, fits perfectly. Dunno if it's my style, but I look good in it so:)
    [​IMG]
    Gucci floral scarf. The first scarf I ever found was this one in another color way (and a hermés jacquard by ledoux) so basically this is the scarf that made me start obsessing over scarfs. It was rather grimy but I washed it and it looks much better although it has a yellowing at the center of the scarf.
    [​IMG]
    How old is this one? Any way to determine age? 70ies? 60ies?
    [​IMG]
    Swedish handmade leather backpack, all done by hand. Thick leather, this backpack can handle anything. I have a few similar bags without the straps that I use as my go to bags. Gf took this one instantly...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I always buy fjällräven kånken when I find them, it's the perfect bag, here a vintage and extremely well used on, although still intact in every aspect.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2015

12. Doomsticks

Doomsticks Senior member

Oh and I picked up this, thought it looked old.. Happens it's the first box ever released.very rare.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Woop

13. eazye

eazye Senior member

^^^^^Woah, those bring back memories. I had a ton of space marines when I was younger, loved painting them and the tanks and stuff. Good times. Not super old though, I think Warhammer 40,000 came out in the early 90's, but yea, those are the first iterations.

14. Doomsticks

Doomsticks Senior member

Well it's as old as it can get:) This was the first box that was released, I think it's like 87-88. I saw some completed listings that sold for around 150$ so there's a collectors market for these. My first plan was to take them to my work and let the seven year olds glue them together, now... I think I've changed my mind.