The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

I think it's a decent idea...

I'll be in the market soon, as my car's engine decided to kick the bucket after making the drive here (main bearing is kaput, and replacement cost is more than the car is worth even in excellent condition). It's not dead yet, but the prognosis was bad enough that I haven't driven it for several weeks. I'm aiming towards leasing a new Subaru after our finances settle down from the move!

2. sashae

sashae Senior member

The wimminz cup runneth over. No idea how to sell these :)

Calvin Klein Collection for Bergdorf Goodman double breasted ultra-soft calfskin trench coat.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

NWT Alexander Wang Leather Trim Wrap Dress - $765 at Saks.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

NWT DVF
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015

3. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Also post a link - sig links do not show up on mobile.

4. Chotii

Chotii Senior member

Anybody want to make a guess? I'm thinking either American bison or actual water buffalo. I've handled a few items made from bison skin, and it had that texture and (apparent) heft.

5. Nobleprofessor

Nobleprofessor Senior member

I'm in if you get it set up.

My "car guy" resume (spoilered so it doesn't sound like bragging [​IMG] )

I have been around cars and the car business my whole life. Its in my blood. I spent a lot of time hanging out with my Uncle who was a small dealer. Then, I was a service manager at an Oldsmobile and Honda dealer for several years until GM quit making Oldsmobile. I know cars. I probably know more about GM cars made from the 70's-2000 than any others. But, my passion and interest for the last 10 years has been Mercedes and BMW. I have owned cars that had over 500,000 miles on them. I have taken a car that was a total loss and sold it for $. I have restored cars to drive and resell and can do most of the work other than paint and total engine replacements. I have owned about 44 cars and about 30 of them were bought to clean up and resell. Ever since I bought my first car to flip when I was 20 years old, I have had car fever. I currently own 3 cars and a truck (I need to pair this down) and I am always on the hunt for the next perfect one. My dream is to go to the Barret Jackson Auction in Scottsdale and buy about 20 cars!

6. noob15

noob15 Senior member

In the field gents. Is this the woolrich label I'm looking for?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Nobleprofessor

I hope the seller of this isn't on here. If he is, I don't mean to attack you, but take a look at the listings of some folks on here and learn how to do it really well.

I get an alert anytime an Oxxford 50L is listed. I really like Oxxford and its a hard size to find. So, I was interested when I got an email about a new one listed. But, this listing boggles me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OXXFORD-CLO...azer-Jacket-Sportcoat-Size-50L-/291573113545?

First, we know its not a blazer, its an orphan. 2. Why would you use that shirt for the pictures? Who thinks that makes any sense or makes the orphan look any better?

3. That tie? Its pipes? In pink and Mauve?

4. Nice description 5. $166.49 for an Oxxford PINSTRIPE orphan?

Sorry for the rant. I was just excited about an Oxxord in my size and this was such a disappointment.

8. brinebombs

brinebombs Member

I found this thick leather jacket, viscose lining, made in Italy, any info on the label?
    [​IMG]

Is it the same as Collection Privee? I thought there could be a Lubiam/LBM 1911 situation, but it could just be a private store label

9. drlivingston

drlivingston Senior member

Aside from the obvious orphan status, those t-rex arms would have probably been an issue as well.

10. the2ndhandman

the2ndhandman Senior member

send me a pm of your store link. I can help you out again.

11. Nobleprofessor

Well, yeah. But, that doesn't make it a bad listing. It just won't fit me. But, you are right, that's a Big guy with LITTLE arms.

12. dukedishin

dukedishin Senior member

In all honesty, I generally use "blazer," "sport coat" and "suit jacket" ALL in the listing of an orphan. I think of someone who doesn't know/care about the difference and is just trying to find something to wear, and just give them the keywords they want. 99% of people are just fine wearing a pinstripe orphan with the rest of their outfit, with jeans, whatever. Those are the people I want to sell to.

In YOUR defense, it's Oxxford, and if you're searching for Oxxford you probably are more educated on clothes...

13. Evil Abed

Evil Abed Senior member

[​IMG]

It's been a while gents, hasn't it? Things got busy around here last year and I eventually ended up not dropping by the thread anymore. My, how it's changed.

I've been finding some great stuff while I've been gone, but I won't bore you with (most of) that. I made a ridiculous promise to myself not to post again till I found solid gold buttons on a blazer... Well that didn't happen.

Early 1990's (probably around 1993) Breitling Aerospace Navitimer in titanium and gold.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    True thrift! They couldn't set the time on her (because it's actually a difficult thing to do) so it was priced accordingly. Being a watch guy, it didnt take long for me to realize it was real. It actually took me an hour of looking up/fiddling with the interface to figure it out. She definitely needs some work (missing the solid gold rider tab at "15", which I'm imagining the previous owner removed because it gets in the way of the crown). First I thought of the profit possibilities, but the things that need replacing/cleaning (to make it a worthy buy) would probably eat all of the profits. So I think I'll be keeping this one [​IMG]. Plus being a lover of quality timepieces, picking up something Swiss for under a Jackson just doesn't happen every day.
    Gold band accents are not my style, probably going to swap for a strap. Might switch the bezel tabs for titanium too. Loving the wabi-sabi it's got going- the age the showing around the numbers and the luminous marks on the chapter ring... [​IMG]

14. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Forum Mechanic

Well here it is:
    http://www.styleforum.net/t/508742/...ount-thrift-diy-questions-and-bragging-thread

Just introduce yourself, and ask questions. hopefully we can help. and yes, i can walk you through an engine rebuild on your forester. so jump in. lets keep the car talk over there. unless we kop and brag here. [​IMG]

Welcome back @Evil Abed we missed you.

15. kbadgley84

kbadgley84 Senior member

You guys remember that while "thriftening" thing? Pics to come shortly....
    (It isn't as good as the Chicago crew but it's pretty good)