The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. kbadgley84

kbadgley84 Senior member

@SpooPoker
    Beeth Oven
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. DapperE

DapperE Senior member

Letric, nice finds. Hope you're finding more reasons to keep up those quick coffee pickups!

3. Letric

Letric Senior member

I think we just coined a new term here. [​IMG]

4. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Forum Mechanic

what, this one?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had some rims in my attic. - Wedsport SA15R's 18x7.5. - free i guess. then came the tires, for free.
    dented fender replacement? -free. also got a brake upgrade, free. spent $10 on it today. saved $50+ on a STI Rad cap and gear pattern Carbon label.
    also got a fist full of bolts that i needed from a scrapyard. - free.
    found a $400 Turbo BOV under my hood.- free.
    the guy who's face is blanked out is a painter. - painting my bumpers,wing,,grille,fuel door and hood? - free. (i gotta do sanding.[​IMG])
    Lets call it a work in progress. still under 1k today. but from now is when i really need to thrift stuff cheaper.
    this will be built 80% thrifted. with only safety stuff new.

"the 10k car for 3k" is the mission.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
  5. Bahljs

Bahljs Senior member

These cars are amazing. If I didn't already have a money pit, I'd love to grab one of these.

6. Letric

Letric Senior member

cof - fee pick - ups

/ˈkôfē, pikˌəps/

plural noun

1. Quick, inexpensive thrift scores that were made on a side trip while you were out performing other tasks or errands.

Let's add that to the Official Thrift Thread Dictionary. [​IMG]

7. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Mmm, I need to pick up coffee soon. This might warrant a trip to my favorite hipster cafe in SoDo.

8. Nobleprofessor

Nobleprofessor Senior member

More car talk:

I took 5 minutes and looked at Carmax for a few barely used cars (within 250 miles of wichita) and checked the new car prices as well.

Here is my research:

I checked the Honda Accord because it is one of (if not #1) best selling car in America.

A 2015 Honda Accord EX new at the local dealership is $27,000 (plus all the extra fees) and Carmax had 3 2014 Honda Accords priced from $20,998 to $22,500 with 23,000 miles, 19,000 miles and 7,000 miles. The 2014 Accord EX (same options same model) is just under $5000 cheaper and the car only has 7,000 miles. That's a big savings in my book.

BUT, it gets more convincing.

The local BMW dealer has several new 2015 328ix. The middle priced version was $48,000 (they ranged from $46,000 - 53,000) and Carmax has an identical 2015 with only 3,000 miles for $38,000. A savings of $10,000 for only 3000 miles!

The local Chevy Dealer has a new 2015 Impala LT for $32,000. Carmax has an identical car (color, options, etc) with 15,000 miles for $9,000 less.

The same dealer has a new 2015 Cadillac XTS Luxury for $53,000 and Carmax has an identical car with 10,000 miles for $36,000 -- a Savings of $17,000.

From an admittedly small sample of cars, it is still clear to me that, in general, you are better off buying a 1-2 year old car with low miles instead of a brand new. With all of these cars, you still get the factory warranty. ALL of them are available to be Certified cars that would provide a much longer warranty than the original.

9. Thrift Vader

17k is a lot of money saved.

erm.... can assist members in kopping supercars if they need it. when you want to step up, but need a middle man to talk the talk for you.
    shit, when i was drunk i offered Spoo an army tank.........[​IMG]

But money talks. strong sellers and strong members only need apply.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
  10. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

Hey all, I appreciate the multitude of messages I got from my post before. Lots of support and I appreciate that. Just to calm the minds of some of you I'm not suicidal in anyway.

I didn't want to make a post like this again but it saved me once before and I'm once again in a desperate spot.

If there's anything that might catch your fancy in my eBay store I'm open to accepting offers. I'll make a deal on almost anything there. Just message me here or on eBay and let me know what you're interested in.

It's been rough and it's actually gotten rougher lately (I actually got into a car accident since - man can life keep throwing those curve balls). I appreciate everyone who took the time to read this, I'm sorry it was so brief and such but it's a post I could only make before work.

11. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Senior member

So many car posts

12. Thrift Vader

sorry, it happens monthly. and i am partly to blame. but here? we encompass all that is style on a budget. so let me redeem myself by posting a thread first.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Phenomenom camo Tee. -weird but cool. 38R.

and #Dadstuff
    [​IMG]
    Recaro baby Chair. true thrift.

13. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Senior member

Lol I dont really mind that much, i just dont know a single thing about cars.

14. Nobleprofessor

Nobleprofessor Senior member

Well there are some folks are on here who know A lot about cars. And I know car guys -- I would guess any of them (including myself) would be glad to answer questions about cars -- assuming you have questions and send them by PM, so we don't clog things up with OT stuff.

15. Thrift Vader

i have thought about making a thread in general chat for dudes to learn about cars. whether you are shopping, or want to try a fix to save money. with a thrift focus, to help members who need to make the most from their dollars. at least 5 of us would be available to help. where members ask questions, and get answers, and brag their DIY efforts.

if you guys think it should be? i will open it.