• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrcmcklwht

Reaction score
I thought it might be same as yours when I found it! I don't have measurements but I would say it fits like JCrew or Polo medium, maybe a just tiny bit looser. Not avilable at the moment, I like them, this is my third Gant Rugger I think. Sorry shirt brother!

Bahljs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Already in my watch list
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Letric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought it might be same as yours when I found it! I don't have measurements but I would say it fits like JCrew or Polo medium, maybe a just tiny bit looser. Not avilable at the moment, I like them, this is my third Gant Rugger I think. Sorry shirt brother!

Noooo! Naw, it's cool. Their L is probably JUST a tad bit slim for me anyways. I will just get mine slimmed up in the chest / back.

So I went out for coffee again last night, and to ship some packages. Was nearby a spot, and decided to just stop in for 5 minutes before they closed. I was just at this store 2 days prior, but I like to stop into places frequently for "Light scans". In these light scans I just check shoes, ties/belts, outerwear, light flip-over of suits/jackets, and then denim and I'm out.

There were 4 pairs of GAP jeans there. 3 were selvedge, 1 non-selvedge. The non-selvedge ones were the highest priced.
rotflmao.gif

Of the other three selvedge, which were all the same price, this pair was the only "Japanese Selvedge" variety. They also happened to be NWT
biggrin.gif
. Oddly enough, these were not on the jeans rack, but 1 aisle over in the pants rack stuffed between some Dockers... I think maybe someone tried to make these "less visible" lol. Now, these aren't some huge score... But for just stopping in for 5 minutes, these were a decent grab and worth 5-6X my cost. Love these quick wholesome "coffee pickups"
cool.gif

Bahljs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So many good points on buying so far. like depreciation, vs buying an end of run model. and buying a option loaded one at base prices.
it is also worth noting, for the sake of discussion. that there are a bunch of cars that are only going to go up in value. most can net you a really good one for under 10k.
with an emphasis on originality and preservation. such as, if you kopped one? put the original wheels away for sale time and rock some nice aftermarket ones daily.
good clean examples of 90's Japanese cars are solid investment potential. with many models unloved until only recently.

some examples:

1. Z31-Z32 Nissan 300ZX
2. Second Gen Toyota MR2.
3. Gc8 Subaru Impreza
4. Subaru SVX
5. Lexus LS400 (i know,but trust me. these will live long enough to go up in price)
6. 1982-83 Toyota Corollla 4 door.
7. 1st gen Mazda Rx7.

plenty more, just need to research. and get in touch with what enthusiasts are looking for. then drive, enjoy, sell for profit.

So far, i am still under $1,000 on my latest car endeavor. (WRX STI) pic dump of before and after when some work is done.
That Gc8 Subaru
inlove.gif

DapperE

Reaction score
Noooo! Naw, it's cool. Their L is probably JUST a tad bit slim for me anyways. I will just get mine slimmed up in the chest / back.

So I went out for coffee again last night, and to ship some packages. Was nearby a spot, and decided to just stop in for 5 minutes before they closed. I was just at this store 2 days prior, but I like to stop into places frequently for "Light scans". In these light scans I just check shoes, ties/belts, outerwear, light flip-over of suits/jackets, and then denim and I'm out.

There were 4 pairs of GAP jeans there. 3 were selvedge, 1 non-selvedge. The non-selvedge ones were the highest priced.
rotflmao.gif

Of the other three selvedge, which were all the same price, this pair was the only "Japanese Selvedge" variety. They also happened to be NWT
biggrin.gif
. Oddly enough, these were not on the jeans rack, but 1 aisle over in the pants rack stuffed between some Dockers... I think maybe someone tried to make these "less visible" lol. Now, these aren't some huge score... But for just stopping in for 5 minutes, these were a decent grab and worth 5-6X my cost. Love these quick wholesome "coffee pickups"
cool.gif
Letric, nice finds. Hope you're finding more reasons to keep up those quick coffee pickups!

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
That Gc8 Subaru
inlove.gif
what, this one?

Had some rims in my attic. - Wedsport SA15R's 18x7.5. - free i guess. then came the tires, for free.
dented fender replacement? -free. also got a brake upgrade, free. spent $10 on it today. saved $50+ on a STI Rad cap and gear pattern Carbon label.
also got a fist full of bolts that i needed from a scrapyard. - free.
found a $400 Turbo BOV under my hood.- free.
the guy who's face is blanked out is a painter. - painting my bumpers,wing,,grille,fuel door and hood? - free. (i gotta do sanding.
ffffuuuu.gif
)
Lets call it a work in progress. still under 1k today. but from now is when i really need to thrift stuff cheaper.
this will be built 80% thrifted. with only safety stuff new.

"the 10k car for 3k" is the mission.

Last edited:

Bahljs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what, this one?

Had some rims in my attic. - Wedsport SA15R's 18x7.5. - free i guess. then came the tires, for free.
dented fender replacement? -free. also got a brake upgrade, free. spent $10 on it today. saved $50+ on a STI Rad cap and gear pattern Carbon label.
also got a fist full of bolts that i needed from a scrapyard. - free.
found a $400 Turbo BOV under my hood.- free.
the guy who's face is blanked out is a painter. - painting my bumpers,wing,,grille,fuel door and hood? - free. (i gotta do sanding.
ffffuuuu.gif
)
Lets call it a work in progress. still under 1k today. but from now is when i really need to thrift stuff cheaper.
this will be built 80% thrifted. with only safety stuff new.

"the 10k car for 3k" is the mission.
These cars are amazing. If I didn't already have a money pit, I'd love to grab one of these.

Letric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
cof - fee pick - ups

/ˈkôfē, pikˌəps/

plural noun

1. Quick, inexpensive thrift scores that were made on a side trip while you were out performing other tasks or errands.

Let's add that to the Official Thrift Thread Dictionary.
laugh.gif

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mmm, I need to pick up coffee soon. This might warrant a trip to my favorite hipster cafe in SoDo.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed - always variables to consider. My previous car I bought used but in the current model year with 5k miles on it and got a great deal cuz it was used and had the full warranty.

Not sure if you mean maintenance costs, or warranty repair costs, when you say "maintenance cost issues." Scheduled maintenance costs are not covered by the maker or CarMax, unless it was originally purchased new with a transferable scheduled maintenance plan. Got my 2013 Mercedes at CarMax in 2014 (it has some AMG upgrades but not on the engine), still under MB warranty and I was offered a 4 year CarMax extended warranty - which made no sense since it only covered repairs that would still be covered by MB for 3 more years...so in effect I'd be buying the CarMax 4 year warranty but it would only cover 1 year once the MB warranty ran out... Since regular maintenance is not covered, still gotta pay those $150+ A/B services!
censored.gif

More car talk:

I took 5 minutes and looked at Carmax for a few barely used cars (within 250 miles of wichita) and checked the new car prices as well.

Here is my research:

I checked the Honda Accord because it is one of (if not #1) best selling car in America.

A 2015 Honda Accord EX new at the local dealership is $27,000 (plus all the extra fees) and Carmax had 3 2014 Honda Accords priced from $20,998 to $22,500 with 23,000 miles, 19,000 miles and 7,000 miles. The 2014 Accord EX (same options same model) is just under $5000 cheaper and the car only has 7,000 miles. That's a big savings in my book.

BUT, it gets more convincing.

The local BMW dealer has several new 2015 328ix. The middle priced version was $48,000 (they ranged from $46,000 - 53,000) and Carmax has an identical 2015 with only 3,000 miles for $38,000. A savings of $10,000 for only 3000 miles!

The local Chevy Dealer has a new 2015 Impala LT for $32,000. Carmax has an identical car (color, options, etc) with 15,000 miles for $9,000 less.

The same dealer has a new 2015 Cadillac XTS Luxury for $53,000 and Carmax has an identical car with 10,000 miles for $36,000 -- a Savings of $17,000.

From an admittedly small sample of cars, it is still clear to me that, in general, you are better off buying a 1-2 year old car with low miles instead of a brand new. With all of these cars, you still get the factory warranty. ALL of them are available to be Certified cars that would provide a much longer warranty than the original.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
17k is a lot of money saved.

erm.... can assist members in kopping supercars if they need it. when you want to step up, but need a middle man to talk the talk for you.
****, when i was drunk i offered Spoo an army tank.........
tongue.gif

But money talks. strong sellers and strong members only need apply.

Last edited:

hbkshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I appreciate the multitude of messages I got from my post before. Lots of support and I appreciate that. Just to calm the minds of some of you I'm not suicidal in anyway.

I didn't want to make a post like this again but it saved me once before and I'm once again in a desperate spot.

If there's anything that might catch your fancy in my eBay store I'm open to accepting offers. I'll make a deal on almost anything there. Just message me here or on eBay and let me know what you're interested in.

It's been rough and it's actually gotten rougher lately (I actually got into a car accident since - man can life keep throwing those curve balls). I appreciate everyone who took the time to read this, I'm sorry it was so brief and such but it's a post I could only make before work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads