The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

Made some time today to get out and hit a couple spots. The following are the results of this.

First, shout out to @Cj52racers for the solid transaction that resulted in these items being in my possession.

Some DH and a dope Borrelli 7 fold
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    7E = 2007 Ete = 2007 S/S Collection = Hedi Slimanes 2nd to last collection for DH = Fuck. Yeah.
    [​IMG]

Now for today...ties and belt...Zegna recent, newer, newer, current, Lanvin, Giorgio, Brioni current.
    [​IMG]
    APC leather braided belt, NWOT's
    [​IMG]

Three random shirts...Canali 1934, Hamilton 1883, Skeet
    [​IMG]

Only blazer of the day. Canali Proposta cash/wool Loro Piana with metal buttons (Solid orphans that sucked leaving behind, Isaia S150s, Zegna S100s, Polocorn 80/20 wool mohair, 2 Canali 1934s...never cop orphans though and couldn't find their partners)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Avirex G-1 Bomber Ltd Edition.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Canali Full length Coat
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Usually don't pick up Boss, but this one is pretty nice...Super 130s and like new
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

BB Madison 1818, Estrado Wool, Made in Italy by Lardini suit
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Canali brown label solid blue shadow stripe suit
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Canali 1934 Navy blue suit
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Canali Brown Label Gray pinstriped 3 piece suit
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Brioni Gray w/ beige and rust windowpane
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015

2. the2ndhandman

the2ndhandman Senior member

your correct are range rover was the biggest piece of crap. It was constantly breaking. Like every month something would break. It was only two years old too. It was secretly a jaguar underneath.Warranty covered alot but it caused so much headache all the time. It had blown the gead gasket three times in two years under normal driving dealer fixed boom do it again 6 months later. We dumped her ass for the q7 s-line and never had issues since. We will only buy audi there great cars. It does help my company is cahoots with Germany car makers so I get 10% of any audi,BMW or Mercedes right of the start.

3. Cj52racers

Cj52racers Senior member

Made a couple quick stops tonight.

First, thanks to @Jompso for the shoutout and the deal on the Hedi and 7 fold. One of the best dudes on this thread without a doubt.

Anyway, here's the highlights.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Alden's need some cleaning, but leather is in excellent shape and will clean up really well. Bally ostrich and AE suede loafers are size infant.
    BB is my favorite Harris find ever.

Then these are my favorite sunglasses find fucking ever. $.49 and half off color :hide:
    NA

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Any help on what the left side says would be awesome. Michele (something???)

4. double00

double00 Senior member

5. Cj52racers

Cj52racers Senior member

6. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Forum Mechanic

So many good points on buying so far. like depreciation, vs buying an end of run model. and buying a option loaded one at base prices.
    it is also worth noting, for the sake of discussion. that there are a bunch of cars that are only going to go up in value. most can net you a really good one for under 10k.
    with an emphasis on originality and preservation. such as, if you kopped one? put the original wheels away for sale time and rock some nice aftermarket ones daily.
    good clean examples of 90's Japanese cars are solid investment potential. with many models unloved until only recently.

some examples:

1. Z31-Z32 Nissan 300ZX
    2. Second Gen Toyota MR2.
    3. Gc8 Subaru Impreza
    4. Subaru SVX
    5. Lexus LS400 (i know,but trust me. these will live long enough to go up in price)
    6. 1982-83 Toyota Corollla 4 door.
    7. 1st gen Mazda Rx7.

plenty more, just need to research. and get in touch with what enthusiasts are looking for. then drive, enjoy, sell for profit.

So far, i am still under $1,000 on my latest car endeavor. (WRX STI) pic dump of before and after when some work is done.

7. noob15

noob15 Senior member

Isn't the Lexus supposed to be a hot racer underneath or something?

8. Cj52racers

Cj52racers Senior member

Well, it's got a great engine, but the real great thing about the LS400 is that there are a few examples over a million miles already. It had the luxury and forward thinking electronics of the big v8 and v12 mercs of the day but was also extremely reliable. They are also underpriced right now. You can find examples in the 75-100k mile range for under $5,000 that will last a very long time. Also, nice leathers and interfacing and a great ride.

9. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Forum Mechanic

The Lexus LS400 has one of the greatest engines in existence. the Toyota 1UZ quad cam 4-liter V8. Amazing Performance. plenty of Torque. and reliable beyond anything you could think of.
    they also have 4-pot "Monoblock" Brake Calipers (some of the best factory equipped brakes toyota have offered) . awesome tunable suspension design, and a Supra 5 spd gearbox goes straight in. yes, they are a sleeping dragon. perfect under 5k car.

edit: @Cj52racers also knows what's up. [​IMG]

10. noob15

noob15 Senior member

Hmmm. Mental note now. Any particular years to look for?

11. Chotii

Chotii Senior member

Nice little set of finds today:

Eddie Bauer shooting jacket. Suede leather at shoulders, elbows, collar tab, and pleats in the pockets. I don't know what the fabric is, but it's dry clean only. Measures 23" from underarm to underarm. Available.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

ZaneRobe shirt. Never heard of this brand, but it's really cool. Available.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Sweet, sweet Robert Graham. Available.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. Principle

Principle Senior member

Oh man if only those Zanella's were 34's!!!

13. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

I would also be interested in an old G-Wagen.

My wife's car suddenly died recently, so I've been car shopping. I've looked at dozens of cars, trying to find something. Found one we liked for a fraction of our budget, so it sounded great. The guy lives a couple of hours away. Here, your insurance company provides a license plate for the car. Essentially, if a car has a license plate, it means it's insured. When you sell a car, you have to "de-register" it and you have to be in possession of the title in order to register/de-register it. This created a silly problem...in order for me to get the title, I had to pay the guy via bank transfer (common payment method), but I wasn't too keen on paying for something without receiving the title. He, on the other hand, wasn't too hot for the idea of handing over the title without the cash.

Keep in mind that that there were no signs of distrust between us...both of us could be easily googled to find out our jobs, home address, etc., so there's really no reason for either one of us to feel terribly wary. Anyway, he suggested a method neither of us had used/thought of in years, COD. He sends the papers COD and I get them when I pay the Post the amount owed. Yesterday, I answered the door to the postman and he goes "This is a COD, you need to pay for it." I said "Right, what's the full total?" He laughed and gave me the total as apparently he hadn't ever had a situation like this. I said "That's correct, " and grabbed cash. He said "Wait, you actually have the cash here? If I accept that, I have to drive immediately to deposit it, can you just pick this up at the post office?" After all of that, I had to go to the post office, pick up the papers, meet my insurance agent to get the license plates, take a train to the guy in order to pick up the car. Hopefully that's happening today, but I'm pretty sure I made this more complicated on myself than needed.

14. drlivingston

drlivingston Senior member

Wow! What a process... Over here, we affectionately refer to that as a clusterfuck.

15. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

Brodeetz on my dinex for neighborhood 2015 spring/summe, made in usa thermal plastic, his and her cups! limited products.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Koped from neighborhood's flagship shop in shibuya. They were much cheaper than what haven was selling them.