The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

@tonylamer , those Eatons are fantastic and look like they are almost new. Were they in that shape when you got them, or did you have to work some magic?

2. MJMcRibb

MJMcRibb Senior member

Not always true. I always said the same thing you, until I bought my last car. It was the last year for this particular body style, so the rebates were very good. I couldn't find the same car used, with under 15-20K miles for what I paid. And buying new got me 0% interest.

3. Nobleprofessor

Nobleprofessor Senior member

Yes, I kinda figured that. Remember the Century 21 Real Estate Agents with the Gold Blazers. Those were so ugly.

Reminds me of the Dealership I worked at.

Funny story spoilered:

The dealer was a great dresser - -very trad. He was an old man, so it worked for him. I actually sort of admired the old guy.

But, he ALWAYS wore red, white and blue. Sometimes it was subtle. Other times he looked like Uncle Sam. But, he enforced his red white and blue color scheme on some of us that worked there. On special days at the dealership, the department heads had to wear special blazers. He wore a White Blazer, the Body Shop Manager wore a Blue Blazer and as the Service Manager, I had to wear a Red Blazer (along with white dress shirt and blue pants that I wore everyday).

Every year we would put on an event called a Service Clinic. Thousands of people would bring their cars in for a complimentary inspection. The last year I was there, 5,000 cars went through the clinic. We would shut down the dealership and for three days the whole dealership was set up for this Service Clinic. The people in the town loved it.

The cars moved through these inspection stations where things were checked. Exterior, tires, paint, windows, then, interior, electrical, accessories, then, they put every car onto a life and checked underneath for suspension issues, or worn parts, or rust, they checked brakes, and all fluids were checked and maintenance items were noted. At the end, the cars were moved through 20 different spots at the dealership. At the end, each customer got a report and sat down and spoke with the Service Writers about their car. They got to take the report and they got a 10% off coupon for any work performed in future. it was a HUGE ORDEAL. We spent a ton of money with radio station remotes, an extra 50 or so people working to help with the cars, Food and drinks, etc. It was like a big carnival. It took about an hour for a car to go through the whole process. Even though we spent a ton of money, I'm sure we made back 20 times the investment.

BUT, back to the point of the story: The Dealer (wearing his White blazer, red pants, and blue tie) would drive around the dealership in a golf cart and usually he would make me ride with him and we would be talking to everybody and glad handing the customers and chatting people up. He was so popular during this event, it felt like a campaign for governor and the customers loved him. There I was standing around with my stupid looking Red Blazer looking Like Uncle Sam's illegitimate son.

Did I mention the blazer was 100% polyester? Didn't want any wrinkles! Also, this whole thing was done DURING THE SUMMER! The red blazer stayed on a hook on the back of my door 90% of the rest of the year.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  4. Nobleprofessor

That is the very rare exception that proves the rule.

5. DapperE

DapperE Senior member

I could just imagine you shooting fireworks from the golf cart. That would complete the illegitimate son of Uncle Sam look.
    Good story.

6. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Bull horns on the front of that golf cart would not have been inappropriate.

7. tonylamer

tonylamer Senior member

They were okay, but they still needed work. I wish I knew who made them.

It takes me about a week to get shoes ready for pictures. Everything I buy is re-shaped in a lasted tree, polished with cream and/or wax and sometimes a clear coat, and then the secret step--drying them in a cedar chest before a final polishing. I think the art in that's a carry-over from one of my other hobbies: oil painting.

If I could just thrift old shoes, I'd be happy.

8. Nobleprofessor

TNM, The Dealer was way to preppy for that! He had a grand piano on the showroom floor and would occasionally play classical piano for the customers. He always drove beautiful cars. Now, if I could have put horns on the car, that would have been great!

9. Nobleprofessor

A few finds from the last few days to a week.

Pretty Random collection here:

Group Shot:

[​IMG]

Books:

A book about Ronald Reagan that I have not heard. I am a huge fan of Reagan, so I have reads dozens of them.

[​IMG]

I thought this sounded like a fun book to learn Card tricks.

[​IMG]

I enjoy Opera (most of the time), and this will help tell the story.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nike Hyperquickness (I don't know much about Athletic shoes, but when I checked the prices on ebay for these, I knew enough to buy them)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

New PF Flyers (these are a thing, right?)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

San Diego Charges Duffle Bag

[​IMG]

American West Handmade Purse with Matching Wallet

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of 9 Shot glasses. These are the super thick and heavy kind.

[​IMG]

McCoy Smiley Face Coffee Mug. If you know anything about Pottery you'll know McCoy

[​IMG]

Ralph Lauren Shirt (I don't think this is the one to look for, but it was 50 cents).

[​IMG]

Have you even seen an Abalone shell this big?

This is 9 inches across.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A cool Trucker Club of America Hat. When I first looked at it, I thought it said something else.

I can't remember if I already posted this or not.

[​IMG]

Give me head till I'm dead.

I showed this to my wife and at first, she laughed and then it turned into one of those "You are so immature" looks. If you have been married, you know what I am talking about. I think its hilarious.

[​IMG]

Some Minty J&M Aristocraft Cap Toes in Black Cherry for myself.

[​IMG]

The real thing NFL Equipment A.J. Green Jersey. Its my size, its NWOT, I have him on my Fantasy Football team, but I checked the prices of these and this thing is going on ebay.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  10. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

This is a great read. I have a copy myself. Nice find!

11. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Three things from one store... Large Timbuk2 laptop messenger bag, Spoo hanger (@SpooPoker, it's your for shipping cost), and PRL shoes made in England. Can someone remind me who makes these?

[​IMG]

12. turkey_sandwich

turkey_sandwich Senior member

Anyone familiar with Thick as Thieves LA? Found a nice looking suit and wondering about the quality, desirability, etc.

13. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

[​IMG]

found these with Edwin selvedge cinch back at thrift prices... maybe should have koped...

14. kbadgley84

kbadgley84 Senior member

Oxxford super worsted
    [​IMG]
    Pop
    Oliver Peoples Bernardo
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. masaccio

masaccio Senior member

Made in England PRL shoes are usually Crockett and Jones.